Airport name on CTAF

On a totally different frequency and never as a CTAF...
True, but they don’t want two facilities with the same name that close together, regardless of frequency. It’s easy to get handed off to the wrong one and not have anybody notice until you land at KMOT while talking to KMIB. Or something like that. It should be pretty obvious most of the time that the Skyhawk you’re talking to isn’t really headed for the B-52 base. But it could happen. I’ve had one wrong handoff in my flying so far. MSP approach told me to contact Crystal Tower on the frequency for Anoka, and the people at Anoka Tower were very quick to figure out that they hadn’t changed their name to Crystal that afternoon.

Funny you mentioned that "It pays to actually read the Chart Supplement before you fly to any airport for the first time." when what you really should have said was ""It pays to actually read the Chart Supplement every time before you fly to any airport." :p

View attachment 86434

It started as an over reach by the city (the same city that has effectively outlawed independent flight instructors by enforcing an 60+ year old city ordanance that does not allow anyone to do business on the airport unless you have a physical business on the airport property) and has apparently be codified into quasi-regulation by being published in the Chart Supplement.
Egads. I hadn’t looked at the KMOT entry in a while and don’t recall that being in there before. It’s been a few years since I last flew in there. At least my NORDO Cub is exempt. Now if they’d just close the tower before sunset so I can go cause some havoc. I don’t have lights, either. :)

And that is the reason that I never have gotten checked out and then flown solo in Hawaii. I just take the CFI along. They make great tour guides and can pronounce all those reporting points on the radio. I've been to Hawaii well over 20 times and I still would butcher them if I tried.

It was not so bad. Loved making a Molokai Bread Run from Oahu. They sold same-day Hawaiian bread at the counter on the airport. Always needed to get twice as much as we planned. Otherwise we would get home and not have any bread left. :D

Got a few shots from around Guam as well.

http://imagesdesavions.com/guam.html
that is another place I want to visit. I have friends from there and their stories just make me want to explore and scuba along the shore. I also want to go to Saipan where my wife's dad was born after the war to a WWII Marine and a WWII Navy Nurse. I also want to tour PNG because my Sister-in-law's grandpa was Pappy Boyington and I would love to see where he was.

My father's family were all in Europe as ground pounders or Navy during the war and I've been to all of those places. ;)

Last edited:
Egads. I hadn’t looked at the KMOT entry in a while and don’t recall that being in there before. It’s been a few years since I last flew in there. At least my NORDO Cub is exempt.

It is pretty recent. It was last fall the airport manager started threatening local pilots with unspecified actions. Not really sure how they conviced the FAA to publish it the CS.

Now if they’d just close the tower before sunset so I can go cause some havoc. I don’t have lights, either. :)

There is always Bismarck:

BIS 04/188
SVC TWR CLSD CLASS D SERVICE NOT AVBL DLY 2300-1100 2004302300-2006301100

Tower closes at 1800CT every day and reverts to Class E until the end of the month.

Also,looks like a lot of NOTAMS for 13/31 being closed at various times of the next week or so... Be careful going in there.

that is another place I want to visit. I have friends from there and their stories just make me want to explore and scuba along the shore. I also want to go to Saipan where my wife's dad was born after the war to a WWII Marine and a WWII Navy Nurse. I also want to tour PNG because my Sister-in-law's grandpa was Pappy Boyington and I would love to see where he was.

My father's family were all in Europe as ground pounders or Navy during the war and I've been to all of those places. ;)

I logged over 500 dives around Gaum. The only experience I have with PGWT and PGSN are the touch-n-go's I did there on my PPL Cross "Country" training. Student Solo Cross "Country" was quite the experience:

http://imagesdesavions.com/xcntry/nmi/index.html

Then there is the committee of fools at the FAA who decide to change the name of the airport.
KPOU has been there since the 5th day of creation. It didn't "officially" exist until 1941, when it was conscripted for use during WWII.
It was always know as "Dutchess County Airport". "Dutchess" for short.
Then someone decided to change the name to "Hudson Valley Regional Airport". Try getting all of that out without getting stepped on, or stepping on someone else.
I still say "Dutchess". Usually no one says anything, but there is one guy in the tower.....
He really needs to meditate or something, learn to chill out.

That’s similar to KBJC, which was “JeffCo” (BJC stands for Broomfield — the town — Jefferson County)...

Then the marketers had to change the name for attracting more bizjets to “Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport” (the entire mountain range is served apparently?) which for radio purposes became “Metro”.

Which for me to this day is still...

“Jeff... uhhhh... Metro Tower...”

LOL.

OK, we need to have a PNW language primer. Sekiu is "CQ", Sequim is "Squim" (like Squid, but with an M). And Quillayute (kwi-lee-yute), ...I believe that's a word that crazy French-Canadian-Norwegian-Russian settlers kinda-sorta interpreted from it's indian name for the tribe of Chimacuan indians that were invaded and basically assimilated by the Makah indians under Chief Seattle.
On the other hand, Ellensberg is a native American name that means, "Stop and pee here."

Ron "Long trip on I-90" Wanttaja

On the other hand, Ellensberg is a native American name that means, "Stop and pee here."

Ron "Long trip on I-90" Wanttaja

Every convoy from YKM to the west side regardless of it being a military or family drive or a family flight.
You really understand the PNW people!!

Every convoy from YKM to the west side regardless of it being a military or family drive or a family flight.
You really understand the PNW people!!
Stole it from John Keister... :)

Ron Wanttaja

I soloed at MGY, Montgomery County a hundred years ago. Now it’s KMGY, Wright Brothers. I still have to stop and think before hitting the PTT:D.

Cheers

I've looked at some of your previous stuff over the years and I often wonder if you ever worked on projects with Rocket Research, AeroJet, Primex, Olin or JPL.
Worked with Aerojet ~40 years ago, but that was just operating one of their sensors on an early warning satellite.

Didn't work much with rockets themselves over the years, though a buddy of mine was a Boeing researcher on electric propulsion. When we used conventional thrusters, we basically bought them off the shelf. Had some part of the development and/or operation of 19 satellites in my Air Force and Boeing careers, record is 17-0-2 (Seventeen successful, no failures, two satellites still in storage).

The line I stole from John Keister was on his TV show ("Almost Live")...never worked with him.

Ron Wanttaja

Worked with Aerojet ~40 years ago, but that was just operating one of their sensors on an early warning satellite.

Didn't work much with rockets themselves over the years, though a buddy of mine was a Boeing researcher on electric propulsion. When we used conventional thrusters, we basically bought them off the shelf. Had some part of the development and/or operation of 19 satellites in my Air Force and Boeing careers, record is 17-0-2 (Seventeen successful, no failures, two satellites still in storage).

The line I stole from John Keister was on his TV show ("Almost Live")...never worked with him.

Ron Wanttaja

I was curious because my dad worked for them in Redmond for 40 years.
Loved almost live myself....

There are several Pennsylvania towns that really need local airports, just for the fun on CTAF. Asylum, Bird-In-Hand, Intercourse, Blue Ball, Gravity, Honey Hole, Moon, Panic, Climax....

https://wanderwisdom.com/travel-destinations/pennsylvania-town-names

"Turning base for Moon runway 27."

"On short final for Climax."

"Straight in for Intercourse."

"Departing Asylum.

One of the big Lancaster County delicacies is Sticky Buns. There's a bakery in Intercourse that makes excellent ones. They also sell t-shirts that say "I got sticky buns in Intercourse."

My favorite airport name is 41XS in Taylor TX. The name is "Macho Grande Airport." I always wanted to give a position report:

27K: Navion 5327K, 4000 feet over Macho Grande.
ATC: Over Macho Grande?
27K: No, I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande.

Last edited:
"Port Aransas traffic"

nope

"Rockport traffic"

nope

“Mustang Beach traffic”

Yep, the Port A/Rockport thing didn't make sense at all. I figured he meant "Aransas Co.", which would make sense to be "Rockport Traffic" since it's in Rockport.

Nope - different airport. One of my best friends is the airport manager at KRKP. Mustang Beach (KRAS) is South of KRKP

The airport at Rockport, RKP, is the Aransas County airport (in Aransas County).

The airport at Port Aransas, RAS, 16 nm south, is the Mustang Beach airport (in Nueces County).

Anyway, I think we made the OP’s point...it can get confusing. It looks like they don’t share a CTAF, so hopefully that helps.

One of the big Lancaster County delicacies is Sticky Buns. There's a bakery in Intercourse that makes excellent ones. They also sell t-shirts that say "I got sticky buns in Intercourse."

it'd be better if it read "intercourse gave me sticky buns!"

:cool::)

Then there's 1L8, Hurricane Utah. Except it's not 'Hurry-kayne' ... it's 'Herkin'. o_O
Two guys not from the area were driving to a convention. They saw signs for a town coming up spelled Hurricane. One remarked, hey, funny town name Hurricane. The other said no, they say it hurricun. They argued a bit about the pronunciation as they approached the town. They were both thirsty and noticed the town had a dairy queen. They decided to stop in. They continued arguing about the town pronunciation and decided to ask the cashier. “Excuse me, can you please tell us how to pronounce the name of this place?” The cashier, looking a little confused, slowly pronounced it: Daaaiirrryyy. Quueeeeeennnn.

A bigger issue I see is that pilots start talking before the PTT really engages, and the airport name becomes garbled or chopped off entirely, leading to a transmission such as "traffic, Cessna 123 turning left downwind blah blah..."

Isn’t this partly why one is supposed to repeat the name of the airport at the end “AkChin traffic, N123 turning left base runway 22, AkChin” ?

Two guys not from the area were driving to a convention. They saw signs for a town coming up spelled Hurricane. One remarked, hey, funny town name Hurricane. The other said no, they say it hurricun. They argued a bit about the pronunciation as they approached the town. They were both thirsty and noticed the town had a dairy queen. They decided to stop in. They continued arguing about the town pronunciation and decided to ask the cashier. “Excuse me, can you please tell us how to pronounce the name of this place?” The cashier, looking a little confused, slowly pronounced it: Daaaiirrryyy. Quueeeeeennnn.
Years ago we flew our Cherokee 140 to Cedar City, Utah for a short vacation. We rented a car, and drove from Cedar City, up Cedar Canyon to Cedar Breaks National Monument. There a park ranger told us that there are no cedar trees in Utah.

Then we drove down the highway to Hurricane. No Hurricanes in Utah, either.

The next town we came to was called Virgin.

Years ago we flew our Cherokee 140 to Cedar City, Utah for a short vacation. We rented a car, and drove from Cedar City, up Cedar Canyon to Cedar Breaks National Monument. There a park ranger told us that there are no cedar trees in Utah.

It was named after its abundant trees though....nevermind they were Junipers and not Cedars.

I do enjoy the joke, btw.

Virgin is named for the Virgin River which was named after Thomas Virgin.

In Oregon, the whole state has a pronunciation issue. Say "Orra-GONE" and you'll be ostracized by the locals. (The correct pronunciation is "Orrygun". They even sell bumper stickers spelled that way.) They might throw you into the Willamette ("Wil-LAM-et") River, or chase you north along the Columbia River. No worry, you can hide out in the friendly towns of Clatskanie, Cathlamet, Skamokawa, or somewhere else in Wahkiakum County ...

:D

Tourist just arrived in Honolulu: "Excuse me, sir, but can you tell me the proper pronunciation of your state? I've heard both "Hawai'i" and "Havai'i", as if the 'w' were pronounced like a 'v'. Which is it?
Man on the street: "Havai'i."
Tourist: Thank you very much!
Man on the street: You velcome.

I had a Samoan roommate for a while. I learned how to pronounce Hawaiian/Samoan/Tongan stuff much better.

Don't tell a French person how Illinoisans pronounce Des Plaines.

In Oregon, the whole state has a pronunciation issue. Say "Orra-GONE" and you'll be ostracized by the locals. (The correct pronunciation is "Orrygun". They even sell bumper stickers spelled that way.) They might throw you into the Willamette ("Wil-LAM-et") River, or chase you north along the Columbia River. No worry, you can hide out in the friendly towns of Clatskanie, Cathlamet, Skamokawa, or somewhere else in Wahkiakum County ...

:D
Nothing's as bad as the arrogant Kansas a-holes who insist that, when it's in their state, the Arkansas River is pronounced R-Kansas. Really?

We in Missouri aren't much better. Versailles is pronounced like it is spelled...(Ver-Sails)

Then there's Miami, OK (Miama) and Cairo, IL (K-Row)

Pity there isn't an airport in Hell, MI...

KSTS is labeled "Charles M Schulz - Sonoma Co" on the sectional, but on CTAF when the tower is closed it's "Santa Rosa Traffic."

If you want to say "Charles M. Schulz Sonoma County Traffic" nobody will correct you.

I would just use “Sonoma county”. I’m surprised they don’t nickname it “peanuts”.

Tom

Nope - different airport. One of my best friends is the airport manager at KRKP. Mustang Beach (KRAS) is South of KRKP

I think Van Johnston's point was that your post about confusing "Port Aransas Traffic" with "Rockport Traffic" doesn't make sense, because the airport in Rockport (Aransas Co. Airport) is 16 miles away from Port Aransas. Mustang Beach is the airport in Port Aransas.

I think Van Johnston's point was that your post about confusing "Port Aransas Traffic" with "Rockport Traffic" doesn't make sense, because the airport in Rockport (Aransas Co. Airport) is 16 miles away from Port Aransas. Mustang Beach is the airport in Port Aransas.

I get it but the airport I called "Port Aransas" according the sectional and I flew to for the first time, is called Rockport by the locals. It was in reference and response to the original post.

I get it but the airport I called "Port Aransas" according the sectional and I flew to for the first time, is called Rockport by the locals. It was in reference and response to the original post.

...but the airport called Rockport by the locals is "Aransas County Airport", not "Port Aransas". I guess I'm feeling overly pedantic today.

Back