Airport Hotspots

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
In an effort to prevent accidents and incursions (I suppose), the FAA has designated various points at various airports that are prone to problems and called them Hotspots. Here is an example of an airport with 3 such Hotspots.
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1110/00258AD.PDF

On Jeppeson plates there is a description of each Hopspot. There is no such description on the "free" plates we can download and get on ForeFlight. So how does one get the description of the problem area if you don't have a Jeppeson subscription?

They're depicted on the Airport Diagram at my home base in the non-Jepp charts.

Notice "HS-1", "HS-2", and "HS-3"...

4b94241c-459b-8c9e.jpg

On the FAA digital products, and I presume the paper approach plates(I haven't bought paper since they started adding them). There's a dedicated section in the book for the hot spot textual description in the beginning after the various minimums sections.

When I was to Ruidoso for a fly-in, someone (Dan?) said that he does not like flying into KABQ because he looked at one of those publications and saw all the hotspots... *facepalm* That put me into a position of trying to explain away the official FAA publications.

When I was to Ruidoso for a fly-in, someone (Dan?) said that he does not like flying into KABQ because he looked at one of those publications and saw all the hotspots... *facepalm* That put me into a position of trying to explain away the official FAA publications.

Does he also avoid OSH because they publish a big huge NOTAM? :rofl:

4b94241c-459b-8c9e.jpg
I know they are depicted. I'm looking for the description of why it is a Hotspot. On Jepps it's written right on the chart.
Where can I find on line that description on the FAA issued ones like the one you showed?

Honestly, I find the hotspot system a bit distracting and makes the chart even more difficult to read. I know they 'had to do something', and I shouldn't complain as I can't come up with a better idea, but....you all know me as 'preferring the simpler'

Lance, I think I understand your question. You can go to Airnav or myairplane.com and I am sure there are others and download any approach plate the government issues for free.

4b94241c-459b-8c9e.jpg

I know they are depicted. I'm looking for the description of why it is a Hotspot. On Jepps it's written right on the chart.
Where can I find on line that description on the FAA issued ones like the one you showed?
I think what Lance means is that on the Jepps the description of the Hot Spots are on the reverse of the airport diagram.

20111021-je7wq38p4i2d86e7sch7hbw79n.jpg

For the FAA ones, here's what the description page looks like, some things it describes why, other times it doesn't.

hotspot.png

Chart bundle, that's exactly the page I'm looking for. How do I access that online?

Well, you can always download from chartbundle.com:)
Or go to the FAA d-TPP stuff: http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=aeronav/applications/d_tpp

Choose a cycle, enter an airport identifier with hot spots listed on the airport diagram. And the next page should have a download for 'HOT SPOT'

Actually, it looks like the A/FD hotspot data is more verbose, check the 'A/FD Airport Hot Spots' box. (Or go to the A/FD Aeronav page, and select a state, and click on 'Airport Hot Spots') It looks like this should be in the paper A/FD hidden in the back material.

Edit: Fixed Link

Last edited:
ForeFlight has the hot spot text page available.
Look under the airport data section, Procedures option, select airport for the taxi diagram, if there are hot spots on the airport diagram, then there will be a hot spot page for the text description.

OWD has a hold short line in an odd place. Ground usually warns you about it.
It is NOT depicted on the NACO charts. Jepp does show it if I recall properly.

FAA Hotspots are described in the AFD -> http://naco.faa.gov/pdfs/sc_hotspot_20OCT2011.pdf
Seems too easy, did I miss the point?

He said he wanted the description inside of ForeFlight. BillTIZ pointed them out, I see those for MAF now.

Someone will have to tell me why the descriptions I see for MAF in FF do not, in any manner, match those posted by Mari, however!

Think of a hotspot as driving in your car and hearing on the radio about a traffic jam location, or a corner where lots of accidents happen during rush hour. Most of these should be obvious.

Think of a hotspot as driving in your car and hearing on the radio about a traffic jam location, or a corner where lots of accidents happen during rush hour. Most of these should be obvious.

Actually, I'm not sure mounting a large skull and cross bones sign at roadway locations that have a significant fatality rate wouldn't be a bad reminder to people going to fast, talking on the cell, eating, applying makeup etc.

Just a nice reminder that they are operating 2 tons of metal, with a separation distance of sometimes inches at speeds in excess of 70 mph.

I think about that everytime I pass a roadside memorial.

The only reason automobiles are as controllable as they are, is the result of careful engineering (you can build a vehicle so unstable no one could steer it). Likewise with the roads too.

There are places less tolerant of errors than others.

Back