Airport geeks

Speaking of sounds... is it just me, or is the A319/20/21 family have the most ungodly sounds? The engines (which I think are the Trents, but may be SNECMA's?), the hydraulics... in fact, there is something (that I postulate is some sort of hydro accumulator) that is right under the Club Europe seats on BA that, when the APU kicks off and they go to ground power, makes a noise that sounds like a drill is about to come through the cabin floor. I hear it all the time now, and it still unnerves me.

Cheers,

-Andrew

The flap sounds on the 75's are annoying the first couple of times, too.

And their brakes. That incessant clunk-clunk, clunk-clunk as they taxi. Gimme a Boeing any day.

Been in a MadDog with shuddering brakes? Thought so....

You been upstairs in the First Class lounge there?

Also a nice view but with free drinks and food!

I'd have to be flying first class. Not happening on my budget or my company's travel regs.

And the drinks are free downstairs, too. Not that I can partake with this darned rat poison I'm taking for the next few months. :rolleyes2:

Mmm. I've seen SQ A380's at LHR a number of times now (6... my god I've been to Heathrow too much this year).

Speaking of sounds... is it just me, or is the A319/20/21 family have the most ungodly sounds? The engines (which I think are the Trents, but may be SNECMA's?), the hydraulics... in fact, there is something (that I postulate is some sort of hydro accumulator) that is right under the Club Europe seats on BA that, when the APU kicks off and they go to ground power, makes a noise that sounds like a drill is about to come through the cabin floor. I hear it all the time now, and it still unnerves me.

Cheers,

-Andrew

They are just winding up the rubber bands for the next flight.

I wonder how they determined those were normal and expected sounds during testing?

They are just winding up the rubber bands for the next flight.

I wonder how they determined those were normal and expected sounds during testing?

They probably didn't, but every time the pilots wrote it up the mechanics would just plug in to the diagnostic computer, it would say everything is fine, and they'd sign it off "Ops check - Good.":yesnod::mad2:
wsuffa said:
Been in a MadDog with shuddering brakes? Thought so....

Actually, I've never noticed that on the MDs. Then again, I've only been on a MadDog twice in years recent enough that I remember anything about the ride. That's one airplane I still really want to jumpseat on!

I thought McCarren (LAS) was pretty nice. They have a parking area on the west side of the airport with speakers that cover ATC and the TOWER. The day I was there, they had a nifty cross that made all the planes look like they were headed right for you. The pix are part of several of this plane's approach. The runway is to MY left.
Airport GEEK and damned proud of it.

Attachments

• DSCN4976.JPG
    DSCN4976.JPG
    1,000.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN4980.JPG
    DSCN4980.JPG
    896.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I thought McCarren (LAS) was pretty nice. They have a parking area on the west side of the airport with speakers that cover ATC and the TOWER. The day I was there, they had a nifty cross that made all the planes look like they were headed right for you.

Now that's neat! There's a viewing area at ABQ, but it is definitely a "bring your own radio" zone. Nice touch by LAS.

I thought McCarren (LAS) was pretty nice. They have a parking area on the west side of the airport with speakers that cover ATC and the TOWER. The day I was there, they had a nifty cross that made all the planes look like they were headed right for you. The pix are part of several of this plane's approach. The runway is to MY left.
And a few more.....
By the way, BOS has a nice viewing area.... Castle Island. Final 4R, about 300 yards from the end. And if you want to have a fine meal while watching the comings and goings at BOS, try Venezia. Good food, and a very reasonable lunch.

Attachments

• DSCN4977.JPG
    DSCN4977.JPG
    1,010.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN4978.JPG
    DSCN4978.JPG
    884.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN4979.JPG
    DSCN4979.JPG
    870.9 KB · Views: 5
Gravely Point just off DCA's runway 18 during the early 1960's was a great spot for a Geek. Got to see the Connies, DC 7's 6's 4's and yes the 3's. Also lots of Convair 240 and 440s plus Martin 404's. The Electra and Vicounts really added fun to the mix. Nothing is sweeter than hearing a DC 6 B climbing away with all 72 cylinders firing.

From the ride point of view the Connie was fantastic especially at night when all those exhaust flames trailiing from the engines.

John J airport kid and airport geek

Back