Airplane sitting in parking lot

Yeah but he said he’d be right back...

Sure, I mean it’s a Bo right?

Edit looks like an Arrow, my bad, probably why I fell for it :)

I'd say he was trying to save on tie down fees, but I am pretty sure Pacific Palisades beach side parking costs a bit more.

I was driving to work one morning a few years ago, got off at my usual freeway exit in Plano, and there was a Mooney parked in a Comp USA lot on the access road.

The guy ran it out of fuel at 2 AM trying to reach KADS, landed on US 75, took the off ramp and rolled into the parking lot.

Somehow he missed the gigantic support towers and conductors of a high voltage transmission line that crossed the freeway right where he landed.

51eVHLA6fAL._SY450_.jpg

Back in my racing days I had a business selling race gas and Methanol to racers and race tracks.

We were selling fuel at a race on the old Texas World Speedway one weekend. I was telling the guy with me about the time a plane ran out of fuel and landed on the back straight.

Not 1 minute later security came up to us and told us a plane had just landed on the back straight. Of course I did not believe him until I stood up and saw the plane. I told the guy I was a flight instructor and asked if my assistance would be helpful. He said yes, so I rode with him to the plane. Turned out the pilot was a student pilot on his solo cross country. The wind was a lot stronger than forecast and the guy ran out of gas. We went back to my truck and got 10 gallons of 100 octane race gas and put 5 gallons in each tank.

I sat with the guy and we flight planned his trip to the airport. With the new wind reports we determined that it would take 14 minutes to get to the airport. I looked at his original flight planning and saw he used the winds from about 6am instead of forecast winds for the time of his trip.

He got in, started the engine, back taxied, turned around and took off. Fortunately, he landed at the time between the last practice session and the start of the race so no cars were on the track. But..... every Tv camera was there to film the take off.....

Wow I bet that Cherokee has excellent static stability - look at that dihedral!

Back