Airplane recommendation needed

NinerUniform

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NinerUniform
First post but long time "lurker":D

I'm a new sport pilot looking to purchase my first airplane. I trained in a 7AC Champ. A few things I'm looking for:

-Has to be LSA eligible
-I will fly it off a 1400' grass strip
-prefer side by side seating
-prefer a stick to yoke but not a deal breaker
-not concerned with speed - mostly patch and 100$ burger flying
-$20,000 - $25,000 budget
-open to certified, EAB

I'd love to hear your thoughts on which aircraft I should be considering, just starting my search - help point me in the right direction
9U

Check the sales sites in that price range.

If speed truly doesn't matter, try Quicksilver MXL-II or GT500

First post but long time "lurker":D

I'm a new sport pilot looking to purchase my first airplane. I trained in a 7AC Champ. A few things I'm looking for:

-Has to be LSA eligible
-I will fly it off a 1400' grass strip
-prefer side by side seating
-prefer a stick to yoke but not a deal breaker
-not concerned with speed - mostly patch and 100$ burger flying
-$20,000 - $25,000 budget
-open to certified, EAB

I'd love to hear your thoughts on which aircraft I should be considering, just starting my search - help point me in the right direction
9U
you need a 7bcm champ. Tandem seating with an 85 hp engine. The 65 hp with two people is stretching it on a hot day. The other two will work if they have been upgraded to an 85 or above. Or you can save your money for a rans courier.

Last edited:
A Aeronca 11AC Chief would be the logical choice.

A Luscombe would also do the trick.

I've seen some older 2-stroke Kitfoxes with impressive performance. Should be in the price range and side-by-side.

I think a lot depends on if it is an open 1400 ft strip, or if you have obstacles at the end.

Thanks for all the input so far. Keep it coming!

Our strip is open. No obstructions to clear in either direction for about 2000' feet (just have to be higher than the corn :))

I like the looks of the Chiefs, luscombes, and t-crafts. choosing between them looks difficult. Lots of opinions on which one is better better but it all seems like personal preference?? That said, without getting in and flying (I will do that before I take the plunge) the Luscombe appeals to me most (side by side stick, aluminum skin, and general looks). Is it really a lot more difficult to fly than the other two? Seems to be conflicting opinions on that as well. I feel very comfortable with a tailwheel - it's all I've ever flown.

I'd have also looked at the Zenith and am interested in the 601s but concerned my 1400' won't be enough for it?

Our strip is open. No obstructions to clear in either direction for about 2000' feet (just have to be higher than the corn :))

I like the looks of the Chiefs, luscombes, and t-crafts. choosing between them looks difficult. Lots of opinions on which one is better better but it all seems like personal preference?? That said, without getting in and flying (I will do that before I take the plunge) the Luscombe appeals to me most (side by side stick, aluminum skin, and general looks). Is it really a lot more difficult to fly than the other two? Seems to be conflicting opinions on that as well. I feel very comfortable with a tailwheel - it's all I've ever flown.

I'd have also looked at the Zenith and am interested in the 601s but concerned my 1400' won't be enough for it?

All of the Zenith aircraft show take off and landing distances of 500' or less.

The STOL version shows 125' or less.

Your 1400' strip should be more than enough even at gross on a hot day. :wink2:

I like the looks of the Chiefs, luscombes, and t-crafts. choosing between them looks difficult.

I like the Chiefs, but that's simply because I think parts are easier to get. You didn't specify how you'd be storing said aircraft. Are you going to a tie-down or a hangar?

I will not recommend a make and model but just offer a thought process.

Put together a list of all LSA qualified aircraft that meet your mission requirements. There are lots of buyers guides available and tons of info available online.

Take a look at as many as possible either in person or in pictures to see which ones you like the looks of. Yes looks are important to how you feel about an airplane especially one you buy.

If possible fly the ones that you like the looks of to see which you like the feel of. Very, very important.

Make a decision as to what the top 2 or 3 models are best for you. This is called narrowing your search.

Look for these models within your price range on Trade-a-Plane, Controller, Barnstormers, local BB, etc.

Go take a look at the ones that meet all your requirements.

Make a decision. Negotiate. Pre-buy. Buy. Fly.

Frequently asking other pilots what airplane model you should buy usually gets you the model that they would buy. Could be one in the same. Might not.

I will not recommend a make and model but just offer a thought process.

Put together a list of all LSA qualified aircraft that meet your mission requirements. There are lots of buyers guides available and tons of info available online.

Take a look at as many as possible either in person or in pictures to see which ones you like the looks of. Yes looks are important to how you feel about an airplane especially one you buy.

If possible fly the ones that you like the looks of to see which you like the feel of. Very, very important.

Make a decision as to what the top 2 or 3 models are best for you. This is called narrowing your search.

Look for these models within your price range on Trade-a-Plane, Controller, Barnstormers, local BB, etc.

Go take a look at the ones that meet all your requirements.

Make a decision. Negotiate. Pre-buy. Buy. Fly.

Frequently asking other pilots what airplane model you should buy usually gets you the model that they would buy. Could be one in the same. Might not.

:yeahthat:

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate the insight. Got up close and personal with a chief today and really like how it felt!

A little word on the Luscombes. I love mine, and it fits exactly what you want. I haven't flown a Chief, but it is nowhere near as forgiving as a Champ, cub, or 140. It does exactly what you tell it to, whether you mean to or not. I tell people it's brutally honest. It is very active on the ground, but if you keep your feet moving it will not be a problem. Fun aircraft to fly, responsive on the controls compared to similar airplanes.

Bottom line, they are sweet flying little airplanes, but can be a handful. Don't let your technique get sloppy, and you'll have no problems

For what it is worth (because I have no time in them), I would vote the Luscombe. Deb McFarland and her husband have 2 or 3 of them. Based on her posts here, they love them.

A little word on the Luscombes. I love mine, and it fits exactly what you want. I haven't flown a Chief, but it is nowhere near as forgiving as a Champ, cub, or 140. It does exactly what you tell it to, whether you mean to or not. I tell people it's brutally honest. It is very active on the ground, but if you keep your feet moving it will not be a problem. Fun aircraft to fly, responsive on the controls compared to similar airplanes.

Bottom line, they are sweet flying little airplanes, but can be a handful. Don't let your technique get sloppy, and you'll have no problems

My little words on a Luscombe. I've owned all of the afore mentioned aircraft at one time or another, an 85 hp champ, 2 140s, two Taylorcrafts, a cub, and two Luscombes. A 65 hp and an F model which is not light sport and has a 90 hp. I found Luscombes to be no harder to fly than any of the others. Mine were not " tricky" nor any harder to fly than the others. You must be very careful in doing a prebuy and the Luscombe must be carefully gone over for corrosion. Lots of them were left out side and had big problems especially in the wing root area. If I did not have a decent hangar, I would not buy any of them. If money was no object , I'd buy a rans courier.

Back