Airplane Prices

180s have always run a premium - and for good reason. They are beautiful planes

While 180s and 185s do hold value AFAIK, There are still a lot of people who think that their plane is worth what it was worth in 2003 so they list it at that. Just because a plane is listed high doesn't mean it will sell high.

Must be improving. Cessna 180 on Barnstomers for 67,500,000

$67.5mil might be a tad much for that 180...just a hair more than a $64.5mil G650. Reduce it by $5mil and it'll sell in a flash.

$67.5mil might be a tad much for that 180...just a hair more than a $64.5mil G650. Reduce it by $5mil and it'll sell in a flash.

I'll take it if you knock 10 million off. You could sell for 64.5, but it'll take longer. I'll pay cash up front.

Wife: The mechanic's bill for your damn airplane is how much? You're getting rid of that thing.
Husband: OK OK, I put an ad on the internet today to sell it.

2 months later

Husband: Sorry honey, I tried to sell it but no offers. I guess the market is still too soft.

Wife: The mechanic's bill for your damn airplane is how much? You're getting rid of that thing.
Husband: OK OK, I put an ad on the internet today to sell it.

2 months later

Husband: Sorry honey, I tried to sell it but no offers. I guess the market is still too soft.

Jest aside, that's about right. These prices are not set in reality. It's a borderline market sampling with little intention of moving their liability to the buyer's hands. It's also emotional in nature, as true economic desperation would move them to accept equilibrium pricing that would move the unit.

Unfortunately none of that elasticity can be researched on online ads, forcing one to deal with a conglomerate of indignant responses of "sellers" rebuking one's offer and questioning the veracity of one's desire to purchase the airplane in the first place. To that I say, and I quote my favorite ebonic meme: "Ain't nobody got time for that".

It is perhaps true that the real deals are ultimately made via word of mouth, where "willingness to sell" has been established by default.

It's spring time, prices historically jump a little. Lower priced (under $70k) experimentals are getting action and selling if they are well equipped and in good shape.

There is a nice RV-6 that just came on the market in Omaha. 1,750 hours AF&E. 0-360, glass panel, electronic ignitions, fair paint, $55k. This is a nice, straight plane being sold by the builder.

Assuming you mean $67,500 what are the stats?

Early (say 1953) models have never been worth a whole lot. Float kits, engine mods, and other mods drive values.

I spent about 5 years trying to find a decent C-180 at a fair price and gave up - couldn't compete with buyers that would put them into revenue service. Nothing has changed recently as far as I can tell.

Early (say 1953) models have never been worth a whole lot. Float kits, engine mods, and other mods drive values.

I spent about 5 years trying to find a decent C-180 at a fair price and gave up - couldn't compete with buyers that would put them into revenue service. Nothing has changed recently as far as I can tell.

Ad says $67,500,000

Seems a bit high to me.

http://barnstormers.com/classified_691344_CESSNA+180+.html

Yeah, but those G650's are twin engine retracts, think of how much the MX and insurance would be. :D

Not to be a smart aleck, but in 5 years they were all selling for more than you thought they were worth, you might have been underestimating the value a bit.:rolleyes: once in a while a plane will sell for far more or far less than it's worth, but mostly they sell for what someone is willing to pay and that's what they're worth! :D

I've been involved in a dozen or so deals including a couple for me. The early 50's models haven't been worth more than mid-$50k for at least 10 years unless they were tricked out with different engines or fancy panels. Nor do I have any idea what kind of revenue service an old 180 would fit. The 185's compete in that market, but the 180's are mostly personal planes.

Not to be a smart aleck, but in 5 years they were all selling for more than you thought they were worth, you might have been underestimating the value a bit.:rolleyes: once in a while a plane will sell for far more or far less than it's worth, but mostly they sell for what someone is willing to pay and that's what they're worth! :D

Nor do I have any idea what kind of revenue service an old 180 would fit. The 185's compete in that market, but the 180's are mostly personal planes.

If I would have known that, I would have bought a 180 a long time ago.

You may know a whole lot more about the market, and I wouldn't argue that, but as far as I can tell, any taildragger that has the least bit of utility (i.e., potential to pay off the note) trades at a premium.

Sure, C-185s still get big bucks, but in decreasing order, C-180s do, too, as do Super Cubs, Scouts, and even C-170s that aren't complete basket cases. I guess Helio Couriers have some value if you have oddball engine parts, or a wrecked Twin Bonanza to get engine parts from.

I could be completely missing the market, too.

But I almost fell for an old 182 that was "converted into a 180". Opps.

I'll defer to your expertise.

There is a nice RV-6 that just came on the market in Omaha. 1,750 hours AF&E. 0-360, glass panel, electronic ignitions, fair paint, $55k. This is a nice, straight plane being sold by the builder.

Are you sure it's safe with only 1,750 hours on it?? :dunno:

My first dual was in a mid 50's 180 when it was only a couple of years old, so I've been following them for a *ahem* few years longer than most. The Skywagons website contains a classified section that you might find interesting, and you're always welcome to come play in my souped-up C- model.

If I would have known that, I would have bought a 180 a long time ago.

You may know a whole lot more about the market, and I wouldn't argue that, but as far as I can tell, any taildragger that has the least bit of utility (i.e., potential to pay off the note) trades at a premium.

Sure, C-185s still get big bucks, but in decreasing order, C-180s do, too, as do Super Cubs, Scouts, and even C-170s that aren't complete basket cases. I guess Helio Couriers have some value if you have oddball engine parts, or a wrecked Twin Bonanza to get engine parts from.

I could be completely missing the market, too.

But I almost fell for an old 182 that was "converted into a 180". Opps.

I'll defer to your expertise.

My first dual was in a mid 50's 180 when it was only a couple of years old, so I've been following them for a *ahem* few years longer than most. The Skywagons website contains a classified section that you might find interesting, and you're always welcome to come play in my souped-up C- model.

I will check that out, thanks. When did Cessna come out the the "C" model?

And I appreciate the offer to fly yours! Wish I could reciprocate, but an hour in a rental 172M...well it's like an hour in a rental 172M.

I'd love to have a shiny one like in your avatar. But I can't hardly get the kids to mow the lawn, much less polish an airplane. What's your secret?

My C was made in 1960. Not sure when they changed again.

A Cyclo buffer makes it tolerable, but nothing short of a pocket full of Benjamins (which I have used on more than one occasion) makes it painless.

I will check that out, thanks. When did Cessna come out the the "C" model?

And I appreciate the offer to fly yours! Wish I could reciprocate, but an hour in a rental 172M...well it's like an hour in a rental 172M.

I'd love to have a shiny one like in your avatar. But I can't hardly get the kids to mow the lawn, much less polish an airplane. What's your secret?

I've been involved in a dozen or so deals including a couple for me. The early 50's models haven't been worth more than mid-$50k for at least 10 years unless they were tricked out with different engines or fancy panels. Nor do I have any idea what kind of revenue service an old 180 would fit. The 185's compete in that market, but the 180's are mostly personal planes.
"$40,000 and not a penny more!"

Meanwhile, on the Twin Cessna forum a guy is selling his T310Q for $65k (asking price) on TAP. Of course, engines are timed out, so that's a good $70k you'll have to dump in right off the bat. Hopefully he'll sell it.

I saw a 172 for $14,000. The add said it was a flying airplane.

Wonder if its an economy type of thing.

Its seems to me I heard or read that one of the engine companies put out something on cranks in the engines they have are going bad or something.

Maybe these are related. Low price planes and bad engines or engines with very little time left. Not TBO time but time since new. It seems this was about time since crank was made or new and not time in service.

I could be wrong. But maybe this is the reason for such low price planes.

Thoughts?

I saw a 172 for $14,000. The add said it was a flying airplane.

Wonder if its an economy type of thing.

Its seems to me I heard or read that one of the engine companies put out something on cranks in the engines they have are going bad or something.

Maybe these are related. Low price planes and bad engines or engines with very little time left. Not TBO time but time since new. It seems this was about time since crank was made or new and not time in service.

I could be wrong. But maybe this is the reason for such low price planes.

Thoughts?

Gotta be very careful. Many of these OLD high wing cessnas are corrosion blobs.

They're ALL corrosion blobs, what chu talkin bout Willi's!

The Twin Cessnas have a lot of corrosion issues, too, but there are ways of dealing with it. It's harder to justify dealing with on a really old and inexpensive 172 like that.

At 46 years on the 310, it still has no corrosion problems. But it's been taken good care of, and that's why.

Back