Airplane Kit Maker Won't Ship

JohnWF

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John at Salida
I have built two of Van's airplanes, both now sold. I wanted to purchase different kit plane but the seller now will not ship them. You have to arrange pick up at the factory.

It seems self-defeating to me and I cannot understand the maker's business decision.

I know that Van's, for example, ships kit all over the world, Europe, Australia, South America, etc

Is the business model in the USA changing?

Sounds like they had an issue with a freight line....but, also sounds self defeating. Call them and find out .

One kit manufacturer does not a national business model make.

Perhaps the kit manufacturer has temporarily suspended shipping because shipping has become a problem due to COVID 19.
Perhaps the kit manufacturer is tired of damage claims from shipping.
Perhaps the kit manufacturer is actually selling vaporware and is buying time.
Perhaps the kit manufacturer is hoping to "up sell" when you show up in person.
Hard to say given the minimal information provided.

edit: Perhaps the owner is a crackpot.

Last edited:
I have built two of Van's airplanes, both now sold. I wanted to purchase different kit plane but the seller now will not ship them. You have to arrange pick up at the factory.

What manufacturer is this? Might as well say, since if it is their policy, they shouldn't be ashamed of it. And yes, it does seem self defeating.

One of the first rules of business is to make it easy for your customer to hand over their money. Creating a shipping barrier works against that.

I'm also interested in which manufacturer won't ship. My experience with Zenith is that they charge for crating and shipping and it is probably a profit center for them. Is this a recent change in policy? Possibly a result of a kit or two being damaged in shipping?

FWIW: Currently, in some locations, shipping costs are at a premium especially for over-size and over-weight cargo. Add in that some feeder routes booked solid only increases the lead times and costs. So perhaps the kit seller doesn't want the shipping cost associated with the kit price or he's so low on the food chain that he can't get a pick up in a timely manner.

If you are unhappy, don’t buy the kit. If you really really want it, go get it.

Cheers

It seems self-defeating to me and I cannot understand the maker's business decision.

I know that Van's, for example, ships kit all over the world, Europe, Australia, South America, etc

Van's might be the largest volume kit plane supplier on the planet. That may allow them to secure preferential shipping rates from which their customers benefit, and also streamlines their loading procedures by dealing with a smaller number of hauling contractors in their yard. A smaller volume kit plane supplier may not be able to do that.

I don't see what the issue is? There are any number of trucking companies you can contact by phone to make the pick-up for you. If you have some patience, and depending on the sizes of the crates, they might even be able to quote you LTL rates.

We are doing similar things in our business. We have found that there is a complete breakdown in customer service in the last few years and accelerated by the recent hysteria and lockdowns. Our suppliers and subs have become rude, unhelpful, arrogant, snotty. They don’t show up when they say, they don’t call to confirm or to work out changes and worse.
We are now forced to only do what we do and transfer the other things over to our customers. There are fewer and fewer people who work and because of this, demand is extremely high for the ones that do.
I believe that by passing on the responsibility, we are causing people to see the problems caused by stupid politicians and poor parenting and maybe they will push for changes.
Maybe not, but the skilled ones left working can’t keep doing more and more for less reward while the next generations keep wanting their participation rewards based on the work of fewer and fewer.
Perhaps I’ve misread the situation...

Back