Airplane in front yard

The best legacy is to keep the plane flying if it is air worthy or could be airworthy. We have too many ramp rats where the family couldn't sell Grandpa's plane after he passed. It wind-ups dishonoring the person's memory decaying away in my humble opinion.

Some people need a nudge that it's time to move-on.

A blessing to the man and his family from mine. They look like nice people.

Last edited:
It is a BD 4 that he built and never took off Captiva Island. It has never flown, and may not be complete, just looks finished from the outside. Few people would be willing to risk test flying such a plane, especially after sitting in the sun for years. I am afraid that a lawn ornament is the best future for this individual plane.

I wonder how many BD 4's there are currently in airworthy condition? I have never even seen one, unfinished or finished.

A high school friend built such a plane,a half Volkswagen powered biplane, and after some taxi tests, chickened out and never flew it. He taxied it in Fourth of July parades until the fabric started to tear. He had decided it was not properly assembled, and not safe to fly. His judgement is better than mine, so I did not try to change his mind, especially since the fabric had tears from the sun damage. I might add that I did not remember that he was much of a mechanic when we were in our teens.

She's in violation of the ordinance. Not that I have anything against the petition (other than the fact that they have one of my spelling pet peeves).

Nordic Dave suggested making it airworthy and returning it to active flight. I was pointing out that such was not really an option.

Since the plane has been there for years, any ordinance either is new, or was ignored as long as her husband was alive. In either case, the plane should stay right where it is at least until she dies too.

This sounds very much like a NEW neighbor with an attitude, who should be put in their place by a zoning variance.

She should find an airport that needs a wind Tee and donate it. What better honor for her husband's achievement?

Thanks @geezer for highlighting the extra background. If it were my neighborhood, I'd have no problem with a plane as quality lawn art, as long as it was pleasant to look at and not like an old car on the lawn image.

Ironically we have a similar situation in our area. However the ole guy who owned the kit plane that he built and hadn't flown for 30 years, stipulated in his will a local small aviation museum was to get it. Arrangements made with museum in advance. All worked out well.

Nice to see plane owners put instructions into their last documents to guide the survivors.

NIMBY.!!

Oh wait...

If I read the ordinance correctly, it is in violation since it is not operable. Maybe someone is unhappy with folks driving up and down the dead end road and disturbing that one persons peace. Personally an airplane if the front yard would not bother me.

After I croak, keep what you want of my stuff, then for goodness sakes throw the rest away. I don't need it any more. Just because something has been in the family for a long time doesn't mean it has to stay in the family.

NIMFY actually. One year Margy planted stuff by the road. "What's that?" the neighbor asked. "Cantelope," Margy says. "In your front yard?" the neighbor asked. She's gotten over it. We've got a lot of asparagus growing down there now.

Of course, we had a neighbor that had a Seabee sitting up on blocks in his front yard. My sister-in-law upon seeing that said "Rich red-necks."

My uncle apparently built a BD-4, not sure if it's ever been flown or complete. This after he wheeled up a BO. His latest project is a 1958 apache. Putting an interior in that I highly doubt is certified. Knowing him I think I'd pass if he ever asks if I want to go for a ride.

Back