Airplane deals....Do they exist?

Jumping back to the 210 discussion for a sec... and sorry it's a FaceBook video link...

But here's a decent video of a gear swing on an older one with the gear doors. As you can see, it's just a lot of (kinda useless) crap going on, just to suck the gear up.
Now if only those wing struts could fold up somewhere it'd be like a real 210. :)

For a pressurized twin in good shape with good avionics and the beams inspected with a blanket kit seems like this would be pretty decent way to get around and cross mountain passes in relative safety and comfort. $150K

There are far less capable planes selling for much more than that

upload_2017-5-23_13-31-44.png

I think there are actual owners on here right? Or is everyone just having a prolonged mental lapse?

MAINTENANCE on complex aircraft will eat you alive.

I think there are actual owners on here right? Or is everyone just having a prolonged mental lapse?

Why? I don't think an Arrow is that much more to maintain than a Cherokee?

Not necessarily. It depends on what needs to replaced and why. My flight school has a Piper Arrow N1881H and last annual was about 3500 dollars

Not necessarily. It depends on what needs to replaced and why. My flight school has a Piper Arrow N1881H and last annual was about 3500 dollars
That is still quite a bit more than a typical annual on fixed gear 180hp fixed gear Piper. Or even on the Cessna 185 that I had for 25 years. I like retracts and have owned a couple, but they do cost more to maintain.

That is still quite a bit more than a typical annual on fixed gear 180hp fixed gear Piper. Or even on the Cessna 185 that I had for 25 years. I like retracts and have owned a couple, but they do cost more to maintain.

That is true,

Unfortunately, you have to pay to play!

I think he might be talking more about where this thread went. $80K Queen Airs. $150K Twin Cessnas. I didn't help with my $60K P337. ;) Point is, we started going down the path of airplanes that will straight up murder just about anyone's pocketbook. I figure we're only a few posts away from someone throwing down a sub-$100K Lear 25. Heh!

Came across one deal that created a knee jerk call to the owner... we talked and he said he would get back to me with the answers to my question as he didn't have the log books handy at the time. . Never heard back from him and the ad disappeared. I thought maybe there was a sight unseen purchase and moved on.. A few weeks or so later the plane was relisted but for a much higher price that took it from being a reasonably low priced bird to a forget it price. Guess they got a lot of calls and realized they were priced too low or they did some homework.

The deals are out there... they're far and few, but they are there!

Yes, you can find Cessna 310s for Skyhawk money, and for that matter a flyable 421 for $125,000, because the people who can afford to operate them can afford a better example of that same airplane. I wouldn't say that they're bargains, more like they are obsolete.

I think he might be talking more about where this thread went. $80K Queen Airs. $150K Twin Cessnas. I didn't help with my $60K P337. ;) Point is, we started going down the path of airplanes that will straight up murder just about anyone's pocketbook. I figure we're only a few posts away from someone throwing down a sub-$100K Lear 25. Heh!

Well, find a deal so we can take a look at it. Unfortunately for me, I love all airplanes ;)

I knew of a HS125-700A jet for only a cool $249k I think was the asking price. Beautiful interior.

It only needed a heavy check worth more than the airframe itself and had 2 run out engines :eek:

I suspect the best deals can be had by an A&P who can trade sweat equity for value. I further suspect that most days you get what you pay for.

I suspect the best deals can be had by an A&P who can trade sweat equity for value. I further suspect that most days you get what you pay for.

That's about right. There are certainly people who overpay for their planes, but for the most part the "deals" are really planes where you're either taking a risk (and hoping it pans out) or getting a project at a discounted buy-in rate with the knowledge that you can put some sweat equity and ingenuity in, and/or you know you're going to "make it mine" anyway.

Calling what we paid for the 414 a "deal" would be arguably true, but then looking at the big dollar items in the first year (props, engine beam, nacelle tanks...) with the knowledge of one timed out engine, both engines >20 years old, and a panel that's not ADS-B compliant, the dollars will be continuing to flow for some time. The nice part is that those dollars all equate to an increase in its value, rather than simple upkeep.

Jumping back to the 210 discussion for a sec... and sorry it's a FaceBook video link...

But here's a decent video of a gear swing on an older one with the gear doors. As you can see, it's just a lot of (kinda useless) crap going on, just to suck the gear up.

(Video just happens to be from the DynaVibe people, the folks who make one of the dynamic balancer doo-hickus-es... it's apparently their airplane.)
That is Really Cool Though:D

There is a Lear 24 Right now on e-bay for 50K, they say it's flyable, but need the Hush Kits!;)Probably about another 600K?

That is not necessarily true at 48X a guy just sold a Mooney J for 30K. It was a GOOD airplane and he flew it all the time. The problem was the wife got in the way and she wanted to spend more time boating so they just got rid of the airplane.

Finding a good deal can be accomplished as long as you can find out the "True" reason why someone wants to sell. If they are selling because the airplane is "Too expensive" that might be an indication that there is some sort of deferred maintenance and/or maintenance due. If the reason a buyer wants to sell has nothing to do with the airplane you might just have a deal on your hands.

They must exist. Go to hangar talk and some old timer is telling you how HE made a LOT of MONEY on HIS Airplane! And I mean a LOT!

There are good deals on airplanes, they usually aren't advertised, I bought my 182 from a couple gentlemen in 2008 or 2009 one partner was the original owner and didn't fly it anymore, the other was a 100 hour private pilot that quit flying. I think he got a scare of some sort and decided to hang it up. Anyway, a mutual friend knew I had been looking around and put me in touch with them. Easy deal, they flew it 20 minutes to my shop for a pre-buy, I drove over the next day and wrote them a check. :D

Back