Airplane cleaning products

It seems to me that Henning, in a prior thread, was a booster of Collinite 845.

HR

If you have a painted aircraft with open seams, you have a poor paint job.
Maybe so. My eye is not a microscope, and a casual glance shows most of my seams apparently sealed by paint. Then again, my mechanic says every time they CorrosionX a plane, that stuff weeps out of every seam there is. If that can get out, then other stuff can get in....

As a result of this thread, I bought a gallon of Wash-Wax-All. There are no instructions at all on the jug.

What is the best way to use this stuff? Can you use it in the heat of the day when everything metal is really hot? I have to do it without water, KMYF does not allow water washing of aircraft anywhere on the property.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John

As a result of this thread, I bought a gallon of Wash-Wax-All. There are no instructions at all on the jug.

What is the best way to use this stuff? Can you use it in the heat of the day when everything metal is really hot? I have to do it without water, KMYF does not allow water washing of aircraft anywhere on the property.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John

Detailed directions on their website:

http://www.washwax.com/howtouse.php

On the gallon & quart plastic bottles I have, the directions are cartoons on the bottles.

Waterless Wash: Spray on and wipe dry.
1. spray area to be cleaned
2. agitate area with damp towel (for light cleaning skip this step)
3. dry area before Wash Wax All dries.

* always dry the WWA before it dries
* WWA one area at a time
* on hot or oxidized surfaces, do not skip #2.

Which means spray bottle in one hand, towel in the other and go fast. Even better, have a second person following along drying as you spray & wipe.

If you spend more than on a bottle of Palmolvive Dish Washing Detergent, you paid too much. BEST way to clean a plane is with a steam cleaner, just wrap the mags with cling wrap really well.

Poishing, there are no "Miracles" when it comes to poishing, it requires friction. Protecting good paint, I haven't found anythng better than 845 in either effectiveness or ease of use. If your paint is lightly oxidized then 3M Cleaner Wax applied with a real buffer works well.

I wrote earlier that I thought Henning, in a much prior thread, had given good ranking to Collinite. Below is a guide supplied by Patrick, a staffer at Collinite(an American-made line of products. (Qualifier: the quoted questions were not mine)

"What’s the best wax process for my plane?"

This is a loaded question and depends on a few factors-surface condition of your plane, amount of work you’re prepared to undertake, what caliber of durability/longevity you’re looking for.

“My plane is slightly oxidized/weathered (needs more than just a wash) and I want the highest degree of wax protection. I’ll do any kind of work it takes.”

Use the 920 Fiberglass Cleaner and follow up with No. 885 Fleetwax Paste. (Don’t use No. 920 if surface is already clean)

“My plane is slightly oxidized/weathered (needs more than just a wash. I want a very strong degree of wax protection, but I don’t want to do the elbow grease using a paste wax.”

Use the 920 Fiberglass Cleaner and follow up with the No. 925 Fiberglass Boat Wax. (Don’t use No. 920 if surface is already clean)

“My plane is slightly oxidized/weathered (needs more than just a wash) and I want a reliable coat of wax protection to last a few months. Because I’m in a hurry I don’t want to do a 2 step process.”

Use the No. 870 Liquid Fleetwax (cleaner-wax combination)

-Patrick"

I wrote earlier that I thought Henning, in a much prior thread, had given good ranking to Collinite. Below is a guide supplied by Patrick, a staffer at Collinite(an American-made line of products. (Qualifier: the quoted questions were not mine)

"What’s the best wax process for my plane?"

This is a loaded question and depends on a few factors-surface condition of your plane, amount of work you’re prepared to undertake, what caliber of durability/longevity you’re looking for.

“My plane is slightly oxidized/weathered (needs more than just a wash) and I want the highest degree of wax protection. I’ll do any kind of work it takes.”

Use the 920 Fiberglass Cleaner and follow up with No. 885 Fleetwax Paste. (Don’t use No. 920 if surface is already clean)

“My plane is slightly oxidized/weathered (needs more than just a wash. I want a very strong degree of wax protection, but I don’t want to do the elbow grease using a paste wax.”

Use the 920 Fiberglass Cleaner and follow up with the No. 925 Fiberglass Boat Wax. (Don’t use No. 920 if surface is already clean)

“My plane is slightly oxidized/weathered (needs more than just a wash) and I want a reliable coat of wax protection to last a few months. Because I’m in a hurry I don’t want to do a 2 step process.”

Use the No. 870 Liquid Fleetwax (cleaner-wax combination)

-Patrick"

925 Fiberglass Wax is the same as 945 Insulator Wax, 945 is usually found at a lower price.

I use Plexus on my motorcycle with great success.

Plexus cleans very effectively with little effort but I keep my windows clean with this

465-MPC016.jpg

https://ssl.adhost.com/mermaid/merchant.cfm?id=5&step=2

because:

it is one of the only cleaners that has been approved for use by both AtoHass manufacturer of Plexiglas® and by GE, manufacturer of Lexan®

I get unsolicited compliments on how clear the windshield is on the IAR. I use to use Pledge but I like the final look the Mermaids leaves after buffing better.

Back