Airline question for frequent travelers to SE Asia

DeeG

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
DeeG
I'm treating myself, and this guy that I've been living with for 15 years, to a month long vacation in Thailand at the end of the year. New Years in Bangkok, then a train ride up to Chiang Mai for a couple weeks of motorcycle riding & sightseeing. And maybe a detour to Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom before we rent the bikes.

Last time I spent 13 hours in a pressurized tube in economy, I swore I would never ever torture myself like that again. I cannot afford first class, but I can spring for business.

So. I've checked Korean, JAL, Emirates, EVA. All are in the 9-11K range, r/t from SEA to BKK. The US carriers all seem to be 4-5K more. My son swears by EVA, he flies to SE Asia two or three times a year.

Anyone have a preference? I just want to be comfortable. I want to put my feet up and relax, have some decent food, and not have some a-hole behind me kicking my seat.

That's a lot of money for that flight.

I'm always back of the bus, but my friends who travel back and forth for work in business class swear by Cathay Pacific.

No way would I ever pay out of my own pocket for business class when economy is about $1,000. In my experience, everything about economy class (room, food, drinks) is better on the asian carriers than the US carriers.

Don't miss Angor Wat. Worth the trip.

Last edited:
+1 for Cathay Pacific. If believe they offer an economy plus that is supposed to be better than regular economy, but less than business class.

I also like Cathay Pacific. JAL does a decent job. Emirates - if they're operating the flight - is one of the best carriers out there, but may be partnered with someone else. If it's one of their planes, then it should be good. EVA should be OK, but no recent experience - it's almost certain to be better than any US carrier. Korean used to have a poor reputation (read 'unsafe'), but they are dramatically better since they got into the partnership with Delta.... I would have no hesitation in flying KAL at all.

+1 for Cathay Pacific. If believe they offer an economy plus that is supposed to be better than regular economy, but less than business class.

+2 only way to go. Last time I went I (well, my company rather) paid $5K for business class. The key is to book early, and pay attention to the day of the week. Fares can range from $4K to $11K. The lower cost fares generally (but not always) have longer layovers and/or crappy arrival and departure times.

Thanks, guys!

I forgot about Singapore and CP. Looked at all of them. CP looked the best, BUT.... they don't fly out of SEA, so I either have to fly to SFO or YVR. Ugh.

Well, I still have a couple months before I book. As it stands, EVA and Emirates are at the top of the list.

And the 9-11K range was for two r/t tickets.

And the 9-11K range was for two r/t tickets.

That sounds a lot better. EVA also has a true premium economy. You get a footrest, wider seat, a few more inches for legroom, but no better food.

It should be in the $1700 per ticket range.

Last time I spent 13 hours in a pressurized tube in economy, I swore I would never ever torture myself like that again. I cannot afford first class, but I can spring for business.

I travel from Dubai to Spokane a couple of times a year. Those are long flights and it's not that bad.

I've checked Korean, JAL, Emirates, EVA. All are in the 9-11K range, r/t from SEA to BKK. The US carriers all seem to be 4-5K more.
I would never pay that much 'just to get there.' I just did a quick check and found RT for under $900. Even Emirates is only $1100.

Anyone have a preference? I just want to be comfortable. I want to put my feet up and relax, have some decent food, and not have some a-hole behind me kicking my seat.

BTW, I flew into Cashmere to get BBQ on your recommendation and to see you.
Where you there?
No, you were not.

If I were you, given that you are willing to pay full fare on these air carriers for biz class tickets, you may want to also pay attention to the equipment they are using on those flights. There are several carriers still using 767's on over water flights to Asia or other terribly OLD equipment and even though they may "refresh" the cabins, it is still crappy and not worth the dollars you are willing to dish out. Non-Asian carriers have been reserving the better equipment to EU and LATAM and better equipment is only trickling down to Asia routes. The newer Asia based carriers are an exception, of course. As for me, I favor new equipment with new cabins, seats, entertainment over "service" any day of the week. Frankly some of these planes are so nice, I am more than content if no one bothers me the entire flight and can sit in my cocoon. In fact, flight attendants are disruptive in that case when all I want to do is watch my movie, sleep, work, etc. I would prefer to call you if I need something. Anyway, a potentially interesting opportunity for you based on your particular destination to Bangkok -- wonder if you can find of one of A380 flights and jump aboard the queen of the sky on the long haul. I have been wanting to get a ride on the A380s for the last several years but haven't been able to get my itinerary to match. I'd check out Thai airways since they have a few dozen a380 routes and are also a United partner so you can pick up points there and see if they have routes that work. Otherwise, I'd start with the Asian carriers and watch their equipment list on the routes you want to fly.

BTW, I flew into Cashmere to get BBQ on your recommendation and to see you.
Where you there?
No, you were not.

I was either at work, or at home. Home is only 1.5 miles away. Did you knock on my door? Nope. And if I were at work, you could have called 911. did you? I don't think so..... hehehehe

Hope the BBQ was OK.

The place around the corner, Milepost 111 Brewery, has some really good food as well. Pete says they have a nice selection of beer, but i wouldn't know, as I am usually the one driving. :mad2:

Anyway, a potentially interesting opportunity for you based on your particular destination to Bangkok -- wonder if you can find of one of A380 flights and jump aboard the queen of the sky on the long haul. I have been wanting to get a ride on the A380s for the last several years but haven't been able to get my itinerary to match. I'd check out Thai airways since they have a few dozen a380 routes and are also a United partner so you can pick up points there and see if they have routes that work. Otherwise, I'd start with the Asian carriers and watch their equipment list on the routes you want to fly.

EVA is using a 777-300ER both portions of the flight, Emirates has the 777 to Dubai, then the 380-800 to BKK.

The more I think about it, I may go with Emirates and spend a day or so in Dubai on the way home.

Try www.iflybusiness.com . They resell tickets purchased with mileage. Some airlines don't like it. But I have flown all over the world in business and first class with them, and the most I ever paid was $5.5K round trip...and that was for Singapore's Suites Class...which gives you not only a large seat, but your own friggin private ROOM with desk, bed, and flat screen on the wall with remote! The food...nothing short of sensational.

I'm treating myself, and this guy that I've been living with for 15 years, to a month long vacation in Thailand at the end of the year. New Years in Bangkok, then a train ride up to Chiang Mai for a couple weeks of motorcycle riding & sightseeing. And maybe a detour to Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom before we rent the bikes.

So. I've checked Korean, JAL, Emirates, EVA. All are in the 9-11K range, r/t from SEA to BKK. The US carriers all seem to be 4-5K more. My son swears by EVA, he flies to SE Asia two or three times a year.

I would not fly to Asia in economy, that's torture, especially on a US carrier.

I have heard good things about Cathay and EVA in their premium economy.

I have flown Emirates Business from JFK to India for work. Layover in Dubai is great, they have a nice business lounge. And if your layover is more than 7 hours, you get a free room in their hotel right in the airport to rest up/shower/etc.

Emirates biz is mid 5's from JFK. I see low 5's from SEA in late December (Mon-Wed departure).

BTW-The 380 is awesome, I would urge you to try it.

2 suggestions:
1. be flexible in your travel dates
2. Don't book too early (you don't want to book more than 6 months out, you will pay more booking that far out; it's the airlines way to hedge against an oil price rise)

Last edited:
Try www.iflybusiness.com . They resell tickets purchased with mileage. Some airlines don't like it. But I have flown all over the world in business and first class with them, and the most I ever paid was $5.5K round trip...and that was for Singapore's Suites Class...which gives you not only a large seat, but your own friggin private ROOM with desk, bed, and flat screen on the wall with remote! The food...nothing short of sensational.

A word of warning on this. Some airlines have a "revenue protection" group that does nothing but look for folks selling mileage tickets. It is against the rules of the programs.

There are documented cases of folks getting caught selling mileage tickets - the unlucky passengers are forced to buy new, last-minute, full-fare tickets and the folks that sold the mileage ticket to them usually gets his account wiped out (if not banned).

Clearly some folks get away with it, but many don't.

In the words of Harry Callaghan, "Do I feel lucky?"

Keep in mind that if you go through Dubai the total trip will be significantly longer than if you head west from SEA (or south and then west). I remember when Emerates started their service out of SEA. I had a trip to Singapore planned. Emerates was dramatically less expensive than UA, but the whole trip was about 15 hours longer. It takes enough time to get to SIN going west. Emerates could have given me the tickets free and I still wouldn't have taken them.

I've flown EVA once. "Evergreen Deluxe Class", whatever that meant, on a 747 Combi. Much better than coach. Might have been equivalent to business class. I'd ride there anywhere, any time. I rode business class on Singapore once, back in the day when we rode business class on all trans-pac trips. They live up to their advertising. Again, I'd ride business class on Singapore anywhere, any time. I've only ridden coach on Cathy Pacific, but if that's an indication of what their business class is like, I wouldn't hesitate.

Have a great time. While you're in Bangkok and heading for the Golden Palace, if someone comes up to you with an official looking badge and says that it is closed that day, keep walking. It's a scam. And the Golden Palace is well worth seeing.

I've flown EVA once. "Evergreen Deluxe Class", whatever that meant, on a 747 Combi. Much better than coach. Might have been equivalent to business class.

No. Not business, but their premium economy product. Nowadays it's called "Elite Class" as they retired the 747-Combi as of a month ago, and are retiring the remaining 747s by next year.

EVA doesn't have a First Class, but they do have 3 class service on long-hauls; Business, Premium Economy, and Regular Economy.

Business is Premium Laurel on the Airbii and few remaining 747s, Royal Laurel in 777s. PE is Evergreen Deluxe on the 747s (nothing on the Airbii), Elite in the current system.

Premium Laurel is angle-lie-flat 2-2-2, Royal Laurel is true lie-flat, 1-2-1 reverse herringbone.

EVA is Star Alliance if you're into that thing.

--Carlos V.

I fly Delta from Detroit to Bangkok frequently (quick layover in Japan). Business class normally run around $6-7K round trip.

+1 for Emirates.

I just spent a total of just under 24 hours in economy over a 32 hour period, flying from Kandahar to ABQ on DFS and Delta. Tried for two weeks to find an aisle seat and finally settled for the center seat in an economy plus row.

I've only flown Emirates once, but the difference between US carriers and them was remarkable.

Back