Airline flight cancellations

Try finding a safe place for your 16-year-old daughter to spend the night at an airline hub.:confused:

(It actually only took two phone calls…it happened to be the airport that my cousin’s godparents live a couple of miles from. She had never met them, but it worked out well.)

I grew up in an airline family and got stuck on my own in Singapore at 13 years old for a couple days. I had a great time. By the time I was 17, I was spending 6 weeks in Asia each summer on my own.

Yes. Confidential/Secret/Top Secret are classificatiosn. Things like NOFORN are releasability info. Then there are code words which further restrict things.
Spent a good chunk of my career managing all those markings in software of various sorts. Really gets fun when you are trying to aggregate or break apart these things and put the appropriate markings on it.

Last edited:
Yes. Confidential/Secret/Top Secret are classificatiosn. Things like NOFORN are releasability info. Then there are code works which further restrict things.
Spent a good chunk of my career managing all those markings in software of various sorts. Really gets fun when you are trying to aggregate or break apart these things and put the appropriate markings on it.

And it gets even more complex with foreign countries that have different classifications. For example, the Brits have a “Restricted” level. It’s below US “Confidential” but since the US doesn’t have an equivalent we have to handle it as though it were Confidential.

That sometimes leads to inadvertent breaches.

Many years ago our British partners faxed a Restricted specification to us over an open line (allowed per their rules) and our program secretary, who did not have a clearance, took it off the fax machine and copied and distributed it. OOPS!! To us, it was the same as though a Confidential document had been mishandled and it was a bit of a PITA to straighten out, even getting the State Dept involved.

I had some consternation when a double wrapped package arrived at my house from the "Department of Defense" (Ft. Meade MD). Fortunately, when I got it to the SCIF and unwrapped it, I found it was a blank computer tape.

What happens if it ends up longer than a day? Sister had to cancel week long trip because they couldn't get her there for four more days. Changing the return date was not possible. What happens if it's 2 weeks, and the hotel you were in is now booked? Or you're dropping at extra $250 a day for 14 days if it's not, or...

And who is paying his expenses for those extra days?

the university is covering it. I told him he can use my Visa card for beer funds :)

Back to original topic. I know two guys who are finished all the way up to IOE and the first sat over 4 months and had to sims again to be current before he did his IOE. My other friend is now in the same limbo expecting more than 4 months. So you basically have 4 months supply of ATP signed of first officers ready to go but no Check Airman to fly with. Supposedly the check airman are leaving to go to the big carriers leaving them in at least part of the predicament.

Plus if the airlines are like any other business...you take all the orders you can right now and show revenue and solve the problem then if you have one. Seems like they have overbooked by like 25% or more.
We had guys sit for over 8 months waiting for OE.

Fortunately, when I got it to the SCIF and unwrapped it, I found it was a blank computer tape.

Nah, I don’t believe that cover story.

That tape must have had all the details of the secret chemtrails program - admit it!

We had guys sit for over 8 months waiting for OE.
Was it also due to lack of Check Airmen or some other reason? And what airline if you can share?

At 8 months do they just let currency expire and restart right before OE or did they have to go every 90 days?

Seems like such a strange backlog.

Ask your brother what he thinks of the contrail-solution supply chain issues. I am hoarding a bunch for my 182, as are the rest of us pilots, otherwise we won’t get cleared and will have to cancel.

I think a better conspiracy theory to explain the cancellations is that the airlines have gotten together to drive up the cost of seats on their planes. What better way to do that than good old supply and demand.

Was it also due to lack of Check Airmen or some other reason? And what airline if you can share?

At 8 months do they just let currency expire and restart right before OE or did they have to go every 90 days?

Seems like such a strange backlog.
Delta. Lack of check airmen. I think things are mostly caught up now. If you don’t have previous time in type, you have to consolidate. You need 100 hours in 120 days (I believe) and it’s extendable to 150 if you fly with a check airman. These guys had to come back to the sims and get current again.

I grew up in an airline family and got stuck on my own in Singapore at 13 years old for a couple days. I had a great time. By the time I was 17, I was spending 6 weeks in Asia each summer on my own.
So was you a good boy? No canings I hope.

I haven’t been able to convince my family that those things constitute an “adventure”.

Reports recently that things aren't going well in Mexico city ;

Benito Juarez International Airport recorded at least 17 such warnings since April 2021 as part of an alert system that notifies when planes are in danger of flying into the ground or an obstacle, according to a letter signed by the International Air Transport Association and sent to Mexico’s aviation authorities

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...a-calls-out-worrying-situation-in-mexico-city

If you gotta cancel a flight this might be a place to start ...

Back