Airline flight cancellation insurance

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Anyone use a company that they think would provide desirable coverage...and actually pay out if needed (vs weaseling out, or fighting your claim)?

(I'd also be happy to start another thread covering such topics such as "you don't need that insurance" or "that insurance is stupid" or how you handle it without insurance, lol.)

Looking for people who have purchased it, had a good or bad experience with it, thank you.

Looking for people who have purchased it, had a good or bad experience with it,
Have used Allianz and AIG in the past. Had membership with Allianz at one time. But lately just been using whatever policy offered by airline if I think I need it. Back when I traveled a lot and didn't use a travel agent it was the difference in saving some big dollars. But make sure the type of cancellation insurance is exactly what you need.

Anyone use a company that they think would provide desirable coverage...and actually pay out if needed (vs weaseling out, or fighting your claim)?

(I'd also be happy to start another thread covering such topics such as "you don't need that insurance" or "that insurance is stupid" or how you handle it without insurance, lol.)

Looking for people who have purchased it, had a good or bad experience with it, thank you.

Check your credit card that you used. Mine has a pretty good travel insurance policy.

Read the fine print. My daughter bought the insurance once for a trip to New Zealand, missed her connecting flight due to weather, but the insurance only paid out if the entire airport was closed for 24 hours, which it wasn't.

Allianz paid out, no problem, when a relative was admitted to a hospital shortly before a trip was to start. Just had to provide proof, and receipts.

One gotcha -- make sure that you don't fail to cancel a reservation yourself, if you're still in the window to do so. They won't pay for your forefeited deposit or no-show fee, if you could have cancelled it yourself but failed to do so.

Various kinds of policies are sold. We buy Allianz's "basic" policy, but like other companies they also offer a (pricier) policy that allows you to cancel for any reason. Age of the traveler is a big factor, in the price - if you're young, even the "cancel for any reason" policy is not expensive.

Back