Airing up Cherokee nose strut?

cathead

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
cathead
I have a nitrogen bottle with a 2 stage regulator, will that air up the nose strut without taking the weight off it? How much pressure would I need to use?

300 to 400psi hope you have a high pressure regulator. If you are going to do the wing struts might try pushing up under the wing, up and down till the strut height is good.

Last edited:
Pull the tail down to unload the front strut. It does not take much pressure to fill it that way..:yes:

It is a high pressure regulator. So, 300 to 400 pounds will air it with the weight on it?

It is a high pressure regulator. So, 300 to 400 pounds will air it with the weight on it?

Also put your foot on the top of the nose tire pushing backward and pulling down on the prop will bounce the nose up and down to get a good height.

As much as it takes to get the right height.

Yep, Cessna specs a strut pressure (no weight on nose) but piper just specs a dimension.

Your set up should do fine, there should be a placard on the strut with instructions.

Don't know how it relates to a specified dimension but wing angle of attack at 0 degrees makes for a shorter take off run. No lift hence no lift induced drag until you pull back on the yoke.

Also put your foot on the top of the nose tire pushing backward and pulling down on the prop will bounce the nose up and down to get a good height.

Recently aired up the front strut on my Cherokee, and it took 2-3 tries as it was very easy to "stroke" the cylinder with a very small change in pressure, especially if you waited for pressure alone to overcome the strut "sticktion". (I.e., nuthin'...nuthin'...nuthin'...whang!--full stroke.)

Back