Aircraft wiring design services

Will Ware

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Will Ware
Im rebuilding a 1946 Stinson 108-1. I have the original wiring diagram (IMAGE) from the 12 page operating handbook from 1946, but as you can imagine the whole panel was trash and the fuselage wiring was old as well.

I want to completely replace with new, all the wiring and need some help with design, proper gauge, new load analysis and circuit breakers all assuming new LEDs and more modern avionics.

Is anyone aware of a good avionics shop or service that can take my old diagram and new needs to design a new wiring diagram?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Attachments

• 843E7D71-BD74-43FF-8505-6AB02DFA33C7.jpeg
    843E7D71-BD74-43FF-8505-6AB02DFA33C7.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 34
I want to completely replace with new, all the wiring and need some help with design, proper gauge, new load analysis and circuit breakers all assuming new LEDs and more modern avionics.
A couple tidbits:
All these items do fall under abilities of an experienced A&P mechanic as well.
If your intent is to send only the diagram to the shop, i.e., not the aircraft, and anticipate in return a complete upgraded electrical harness for you to install, you will need to find a shop who offers such services. While some shops do offer interface harness fabrication few offer entire aircraft harnesses. However, it will come at a premium.
Keep in mind a complete rewire/upgrade of this type can, and often does, get into the major alteration level requiring additional approvals. However, with proper planning you can keep most at the minor alteration level.
There are several open-source wire-diagram programs out there where you develop your own wire diagrams.
When it comes to electrical load, etc. you may also have to upgrade your charging system to handle the new loads.

Finally, in my experience, instead of pursuing an outright electrical system replacement perhaps have someone with experience inspect your existing system for serviceability. Based on that review and your new requirements, develop a plan to use both old and new items to achieve your goal and possibly realize you and your mechanic can complete the majority of your electrical upgrade. Good luck.

You might ask around to see if there is a good EAA chapter in your area. Most have a couple A&P mechanics in the group that might offer to help. Rewiring a Stinson 108 is not a big job, but it needs to be done correctly and signed off.
Good luck.

As noted above, Steinair. This is exactly what they do - provide a complete panel, instruments and wiring harness. I have no idea if they do this for certificated aircraft, however they are highly respected amongst the very particular RV Aircraft crowd.

Yeah there was nothing left on the fuselage when I got the plane, so replacing with new is the only path from here. I am and A&P, but have not rebuilt a complete electrical system so I was trying to do the right thing and reach out to others that are smarter than I in this field.
I think I have reacher out to SteinAir, but they were really more into Experimental than Certified.

Attachments

• A643E19B-4DE7-402E-B883-7576B7CEE477.jpeg
    A643E19B-4DE7-402E-B883-7576B7CEE477.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 14
I am and A&P, but have not rebuilt a complete electrical system
Having an AP makes this easy. Is this a restoration, ie, back to original, or just a repair and fly project? Is your 108 metalized or still have fabric? Fabric off?
Yeah there was nothing left on the fuselage when I got the plane, so replacing with new is the only path from here.
Univair owns the type certificate for the 108 and has a bunch of support documents for it to include drawings I believe. As to FAA references AC 43.13-1B & 2B will be your main references for sign offs. The trick is to keep all the work in line with OEM specs or under the minor alteration category which is very doable with a Stinson. Regardless, start with a plan which we can help you with here or by PM.
SteinAir, but they were really more into Experimental than Certified.
Doesn't matter since they use Mil-Spec components and you have an A&P. However, you should be able to comply with 90% of the rewire yourself with a little study and at a better cost. Perhaps save Stein for the radio harnesses as that is what I usually have done but with other shops. As mentioned above there are many resources out there to include videos on wiring basics. Its all the same regardless of aircraft. I've performed a number of rewire projects of varying levels and each one was a bit different but all used the same basic skills and fundamentals. Plus a few special tool at times.

I'm planing a simple panel
9eb3ab62c90fd2b8b79d4a15b6688f83.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back