Aircraft Valuation other than AOPA Vref

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
My club is in the process of looking for a new to us Archer, and we've been using the "free" AOPA Vref calcs to get a basic idea of aircraft values. Is there any other option out there short of paying for a full Vref or blue book subscription? The free AOPA calculator is pretty terrible. It lists all sorts of options, but is missing values for common things like a Garmin 4/530. WTF?!?!?!

My club is in the process of looking for a new to us Archer, and we've been using the "free" AOPA Vref calcs to get a basic idea of aircraft values. Is there any other option out there short of paying for a full Vref or blue book subscription? The free AOPA calculator is pretty terrible. It lists all sorts of options, but is missing values for common things like a Garmin 4/530. WTF?!?!?!

Clearly those radios are either priceless or worthless lol.

Clearly those radios are either priceless or worthless lol.

It used to, not sure why they took it out.

I would use the NAAA Evaluator on Trade a Plane. Let's you build the avionics stack up.

It used to, not sure why they took it out.

I would use the NAAA Evaluator on Trade a Plane. Let's you build the avionics stack up.
You have to subscribe to TAP in order to use that.

What gives you the impression I'm gonna be swayed as a seller with an offer based on the notion you got the idea from a "vref" valuation? Just save your money and offer what you want to offer. If we don't agree, I don't have cash in my hand, you don't have an airplane. IOW, there's your valuation answer.

Look in Controller and TAP and take the average of planes similar to yours. That is a reasonable asking price. Avionics is worth 1/4 to 1/2 of what they cost new (unfortunately).

Well, you could always negotiate the value between you and the seller.

In all seriousness, AOPA's vref is a not bad yardstick. But many sellers have an overinflated idea of what price they should get and many buyers have an optimistic idea of buying a cherry for nothing. The reality is in between. So look for the reality instead of any kind of artificial measure. The only value that ever matters is the one you agree to with the seller.

Look in Controller and TAP and take the average of planes similar to yours. That is a reasonable asking price. Avionics is worth 1/4 to 1/2 of what they cost new (unfortunately).

Unfortunately, many owners don't believe that, as well as wanting full value for a new interior they put in 6 years ago. "But it is like new".

Make a lower offer. A really good plane might be worth paying extra for. Everything you want, nothing to fix. Just fly it.

Im using it as a way to evaluate various planes we are interested in. Just as a sanity check really

Using AOPA's VREF will only add to the insanity if you're looking to validate an offer price. Their valuations have limited pricing for options or avionics, and the pricing is usually very optimistic. However the AOPA VREF might be good for use as a value point for a loan because the price is so optimistic.

Best to look up similar aircraft and their asking prices, and then take a percentage reduction off those prices as your offer price. Or contact a couple of guys on this board starting their own brokerage and see if they can't provide a ballpark pricing.

As someone who is looking for aircraft I find the automated tools helpful. Due to good cash-flow but limited savings I'm stuck financing, so if the bank doesn't think it's worth it then it's not going to happen, sorry that you just put $50k in the panel and the bank says it only added $20k to the value. The automated tools usually get pretty close to what the bank comes back with.

As someone who is looking for aircraft I find the automated tools helpful. Due to good cash-flow but limited savings I'm stuck financing, so if the bank doesn't think it's worth it then it's not going to happen, sorry that you just put $50k in the panel and the bank says it only added $20k to the value. The automated tools usually get pretty close to what the bank comes back with.
What do you think the banks are using? Lol

Back