Aircraft Sale - CA Request

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
This past Feb I sold my plane to someone in CA. I live in MA, the plane was handed over in MA. I got a letter from California asking all sorts of information about the transaction (sale price, owner address, etc). I"m thinking about just sending them nothing at all, or sending them the bill of sale which has this information and shows the typical $1 + OVC. Any reason they don't go to the FAA or buyer for this info?

I can’t believe you’d have any reporting responsibility to CA and see little upside in volunteering information.

The state isn't going to buy $1+OVC. The OVC is taxable as well and they'll just impute the book value on the plane without the real information.
As others point out, if the sale didn't take place in California, you have no obligation to the government there.

A fair number of states no longer take an innocent until proven guilty when it comes to taxes. CA may come after you until you prove you have no liability.

So before you reply, search for CA tax rules and make sure buyer has liability, and also consider contacting the buyer.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

This past Feb I sold my plane to someone in CA. I live in MA, the plane was handed over in MA. I got a letter from California asking all sorts of information about the transaction (sale price, owner address, etc). I"m thinking about just sending them nothing at all, or sending them the bill of sale which has this information and shows the typical $1 + OVC. Any reason they don't go to the FAA or buyer for this info?

Just round file it. It’s not your place to generate money for the government of california at the expense of the man who gave you his business.

My thoughts are the same. I am not a resident of CA, and the sale did not take place in CA. They can get the buyers address from the FAA. I'll just let the buyer know what's going on.

It’s the tax man,the deal was done in mass,you have no duty to assist the tax Dept in Ca.

I got the same letter when I sold the Tiger. Never responded. If the buyer requests, then I will respond

I'm a CA resident. When the owner registers it with the FAA it will only be a matter of time before CA finds out and sends out that letter to both the buyer and seller. You probably got the letter because the buyer never paid the tax when he brought it into the state and CA just got wind of it due to FAA paperwork.

Also airports report N numbers to the Counties as Airplanes have an annual luxury tax due every year as well.

You have no obligation. I live in CA and bought a plane from out of state. There is a self reporting processes in Ca. I presented the new reg and the escrow company's confirmation of funds for $price of plane.

In CA you have to pay property tax of 1.25% of purchase price and 8-9.75% sales tax depending on county. If the plane is over 35 years old, you can show the plane 12 times a year for a 100% property exemption, in year 2 of ownership.

If the county assessor does not believe the dollar amount for the plane, they can assess you based on Blue Book values. (e.g: New owner says he paid $25K for a 1978 182Q with mid-time engine.) County Assessor would want more information on damage or other elements derating the value.

It's an easy process here in CA, and the Seller has no specific obligation. My seller filed the request in the circular file cabinet.

For small GA planes, the valuation has to pass the "smell test" and they leave you alone, in my experience, It's the newer planes and jets etc., they spend real time chasing. They know market values, and the plane needs to conform or have a reason for not conforming to indicated purchase price.

Last edited:
I live in CA and bought in FL. CA BOE contacted the Flroida broker just as they did you for use tax (aka: Sales Tax) valuation.

They wanna make sure that the numbers match up to tax the buyer accordingly and verify the amount they reported. If you wanna be nice, just contact the buyer,let him know the notice arrived and confirm the numbers being reported all match up. NBD.

Now, if he low balled the purchase price and you do not want to submit false info, I do not believe you are under any obligation legally to comply with the notice...but communicating with the buyer is key. Luckily my broker called me before submitting and there were no issues.

If the county assessor does not believe the dollar amount for the plane, they can assess you based on Blue Book values. (e.g: New owner says he paid $25K for a 1978 182Q with mid-time engine.) County Assessor would want more information on damage or other elements derating the value.

When I bought my plane County sent me a request for valuation with all kinds of stupid questions and valuation formulations. I shelved it. They ended up "assessing" me fair market value for property tax purposes. It came back as half of what my actual purchase price was...have not responded to a valuation request since!

Last edited:
I shot the buyer a note and he said toss it. That’s the plan. Thanks everyone! The more I hear, MA actually isn’t too bad a place to own a plane, in terms of taxes.

Mail; if you didn't sign for it, you didn't get it.

I'd agree with the "toss it."

You have some states that are much worse to own an aircraft in than others. Not surprisingly, Kansas is a pretty good one.

You have no obligation. You can chuck the paperwork, if you want.

At the same time, there's no law that BOE can't ask. It's not there to get you in trouble at all. It's there to help ensure the buyer stays honest. I paid my sales tax on my plane. Dunno if the seller got any paperwork.

I will note that in Santa Clara Country, where I am, the assessors office sees enough aircraft that they have someone specialized to handle them. They're surprisingly good at valuing aircraft. Every year, my assessed value is damn accurate to the market.

I'm a CA resident. When the owner registers it with the FAA it will only be a matter of time before CA finds out and sends out that letter to both the buyer and seller. You probably got the letter because the buyer never paid the tax when he brought it into the state and CA just got wind of it due to FAA paperwork.

Also airports report N numbers to the Counties as Airplanes have an annual luxury tax due every year as well.

Well that's a tad ridiculous XD

Well that's a tad ridiculous XD

That’s California.

But in fairness, other states are starting to do it too. Virginia has been losing tax money for years from people not self reporting, so they are starting to go to the FBOs for N#s

That’s California.

But in fairness, other states are starting to do it too. Virginia has been losing tax money for years from people not self reporting, so they are starting to go to the FBOs for N#s
States are getting ridiculous with money.

Except for the very red, states, cities, and local gov'ts have generally increased their payrolls pretty significantly, both body count and total dollars,with occasional holds or slight reductions in tough times. Most states don't have a revenue problem, they have a spending problem. Usually pretty poor program management, as well - like a local pol who has a pet program (or twenty) and there aren't any real metrics applied to judge efficacy. If it sounds good, it continues, effective ROI or not.

Pretty gross duplication (usually) - every pizzant organization has their own budget, purchasing, HR folks, etc. The Feds took a swipe at the purchasing and budget redundancy a while back - state gov'ts, and county gov't, pretty much not. Blue states usually have politically significant teacher and public safety unions, and those are outright vampires on the general fund - poorer states may not throw $$$ and benefits at them, but in urban areas, those groups make out big, especially in relation to the general population, and even other state/county/city employees.

Anyway, people costs are the big drivers on expenditures, along with pension funding, and "transfer payments", sometimes buying votes with your $$$, and sometimes just misguided programs that hang-on long after it should be clear they are counter-productive. Big capital outlays, for construction, they usually go with bonds/borrowing, and debt service can get to be a large chunk, of course.

That’s California.

NC does it too, and they do it for boats as well. NC has personal property tax too, every year.

Back