Aircraft Requirements for Private Checkride

BSB1983

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BSB1983
I am finishing up my training and hoping to take a private checkride in the next couple weeks. Last November, halfway through my training, I purchased my own 172G. The problem is that the VOR indicator does not work. I can receive audio on the nav radio but the indicator never worked. Is this required equipment for the checkride? Can it be removed before the ride and will that make any difference? I'm not afraid of demonstrating it's use but I'm really not interested in putting money into a VOR system as I already have plans for a com radio upgrade and ads-b/transponder in the near future. My instructor and myself are no longer affiliated with the club I rented from last summer and I would prefer to take the checkride in a familiar plane.

Thanks for any guidance!

I have no clue... it's been too many moons since I've done my PPL.

That said I hear stuff hear like "flaming tomatoes" or something like that, which is an acronym for what is needed for VFR flight.

You have to demonstrate intercepting and tracking with a CDI. Make sure you have one.

And if you are finishing up, you should be looking this up yourself. Oral question: where does one get information about practical test requirements?

Last edited:
Your instructor should be familiar with the ACS, but I believe it requires the use of "on board" electronic navigation, which can include a portable GPS.

If the VOR doesn't work, it will need to be either removed or properly deferred under 91.213.

Edit...page 51 of the ACS does say "installed electronic navigation system", but I'm sure I saw some guidance on that recently that allowed portable devices. Maybe somebody more familiar can help out with that.

Last edited:
Is a VOR really required for a PPL ride?
Not doubting you all, just surprised.

No VOR required. Think about taking it in aJ-3!
However questions can be asked and they can ask you about any and all equipment in the plane. And don't forget lost procedures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to demonstrate intercepting and tracking with a CDI. Make sure you have one.

And if you are finishing up, you should be looking this up yourself. Oral question: where does one get information about practical test requirements?

I have read the ACS and it does not specifically say VOR equipment but "installed electronic navigation system". I have a portable gps in a panel mounted dock, would it qualify?

I used an iPad and fore flight

I have read the ACS and it does not specifically say VOR equipment but "installed electronic navigation system". I have a portable gps in a panel mounted dock, would it qualify?
To repeat....have you and your CFI discussed the required equipment? Have you read the relevant sections of the FARs? Trust me, the examiner will expect you tomknow the details. ADSB is not navigation equipment, by the way.

My impression is that there is some discretion given to the examiner about what they will allow to be used for the navigation device. I've heard of people using hand held GPS to satisfy that requirement but have no first hand experience with sending people to a checkride and doing it that way.

By the way, if the VOR isn't working now it should be deactivated and placarded now, not just before the checkride...

By the way, if the VOR isn't working now it should be deactivated and placarded now, not just before the checkride...

Placard the indicator for sure. But why deactivate the NAV radio? The OP said the audio works, and why shouldn't he use it if he wants to talk to FSS or listen to HIWAS weather?

This is not an answer to your question. But.
I'm sure a bearing to a fixed point (VOR) can be programmed into the panel mounted GPS and the CDI page can be used to show interception to the desired bearing and track to the station,
(Point).

Check it out in the GPS manual, I'm sure if it is possible the DPE may ask you to demonstrate the procedure.

This is not an answer to your question. But.
I'm sure a bearing to a fixed point (VOR) can be programmed into the panel mounted GPS and the CDI page can be used to show interception to the desired bearing and track to the station,
(Point).

Check it out in the GPS manual, I'm sure if it is possible the DPE may ask you to demonstrate the procedure.
Portable in a dock is not considered installed electronic navigation system. Again, what does your CFI say? He/she will be suggesting which DPE to use, and will usually know the opinion of the DPE on portables. Better yet, talk to the DPE.

Well, I took my PPL checkride 8 years ago, and got a pink slip on VOR navigation. (cleared up fairly fast after that), so, I'd say, if it's in your airplane you probably need to know how to fly it.

No you don't. Only if installed. Nothing in the ACS requires that.

No VOR required. Think about taking it in aJ-3!
However questions can be asked and they can ask you about any and all equipment in the plane. And don't forget lost procedures.

I don't know if a VOR is required, but I know that it's basically impossible to take the check ride in a J-3. The instrument reference maneuvers could be done with no gyros if you have a working compass and a lot more chops than anyone in the history of PPL check rides, but I've never heard of a J-3 that had a working compass. For example, our J-3 has a correction card that reads more like a Hallmark sympathy card.

Mortals do need at least a gyro turn indicator and mortals just getting their PPLs will be wise not to go to the check ride without a directional gyro and attitude indicator.

No you don't. Only if installed. Nothing in the ACS requires that.
The ACS Appendix 7 requires an aircraft capable of executing all tasks.

One of those tasks is the use of installed navigation systems, including interception and tracking. While that doesn't necessarily need to be a VOR, it does need to be something.

The ACS does not have the qualification you claim.

Talked to two DPEs, first one would not do the ride unless the indicator was repaired. The second said he would let me use the panel docked portable gps to simulate tracking a VOR radial. Have a checkride set up with him in two weeks.

Back