Aircraft insurance with special issuance?

Jdm

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jdm
Anyone have experience dealing with aircraft insurance and medical problems. I’m pretty sure my current medical is considered a special issuance but it doesn't say that anyplace on the medical certificate.

History: I’ve held a 1st class for most my life with no limitations other than corrective lenses. Then about 2 years ago I had a sleep study, which was positive for sleep apnea. I was without my medical for about a week, until the CPAP machine arrived. Then, for my next medical, I decided to drop down to a 2nd class because a 1st was not needed any longer. I got my yearly check up with the sleep doctor, went to the AME, was issued a 2nd class, and then received another 2nd class in the mail from the FAA along with what seems to be a standard letter for a 5 year acceptance agreement.

Now it’s time to renew my personal aircraft insurance and I noticed something on the application that has me concerned. I have to check yes, or no to a question about my medical. Not sure how to answer.
The question is: “Do any pilots named in this application have any physical impairments, waivers or statement of demonstrated ability (other than corrective lenses), limitations or conditions attached to their medical certificate?”
The question is slightly reworded in the binder: “Does the pilot have any medical waivers other than corrective lenses or color blindness?”

My current class 2 medical has no limitations other than corrective lenses. It appears to be the exact same wording as all my previous medicals, but I assume this one is considered a special issuance?
-So is this a waiver? There’s not a limitation on my medical.
-Is this a physical impairment? I don’t think so, under the current treatment anyway.
-Is this a statement of demonstrated ability? Maybe, I send my sleep reports in every year.
-Any conditions attached to my medical? No idea exactly what this means.

Thanks!

It’s a special, but the main thing with insurers is age 72 or more……

Yay, 17 years to go and counting. But how do I legally answer the insurance question? Don’t want a premium increase, but the last thing I need is a denied insurance claim if something were to happen!

So, in regards to a medical certificate, what exactly is a wavier?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back