Aircraft History?

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by motoputz, Dec 23, 2019.

1. motoputz

motoputz Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    motoputz
    Hi all
    I'm new to the forum and aviation in general really. I like mechanical stuff; machining, tools, sailboats, motorcycles, cars ...stuff that moves!
    I've just started getting into aircraft, there are so many cool aircraft out there
    are there any books, films, video's, magazine's you'd recommend for a history of the different manufacturers, models produced and just general tech info
    I've watched a bunch on air related content on youtube, but I prefer books for my pre bed time reading
    thanks

2. Pilawt

Pilawt Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilawt
    For Cessna, the best is Cessna - Wings for The World by former Cessna engineer and test pilot William Thompson. It’s a 3-volume series, the first covering the single-engine models; the second the 300-series twins and several experimental types; and the third volume covers the 400-series twins. The books have been out of print for a while, but can be found on Amazon.

The late Larry Ball’s books, including Those Incomparable Bonanzas and Those Magnificent Mooneys, are excellent.

3. skier

skier Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skier
    The Al Mooney Story

Kaman: Our Early Years

From the Ground Up: The Autobiography of an Aeronautical Engineer by Fred Weick

4. skier

skier Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skier
    There's also a multi-part series on Youtube of Arthur Young talking about the development of Bell Helicopter. It's a great watch:

5. Pilawt

Pilawt Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilawt
    The best aviation documentary ever made was the BBC’s 12-hour Reaching for The Skies (1988). Intelligent, well-researched and beautifully-photographed segments on aviation pioneers, fighters, bombers, transports, rotary-wing, lighter-than-air, and more. There’s even great general aviation material, including a look at Oshkosh, mid-‘80s style. There are lots of interviews of aviation legends, and rarely-seen archival footage.

Most if not all the episodes are available on YouTube.

6. motoputz

motoputz Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    motoputz
    thanks everyone, this is a great start

here's a neat youtube video for you history buffs

the fun starts at 3:20