Aircraft down in Dayton

I hate the idea of crashing in a low wing with one door that can easily get jammed shut if the wing is bent up on impact. Add a post-crash fire to a jammed door and survival gets dicey.

Maybe kicking the windows out isn't too hard?

Grrr, annoyed I cannot remember the name of that FAA dude.

Now double annoyed that I didn't notice his name in the caption :lol:

Maybe he was on his way up to Moraine I73 for some $5.65 SS fuel when the engine died so he turned towards Dayton-Wright Bros MGY. FF is not showing SS for his home base or MGY.

Full service both places, MGY is one of the cheaper fuel stops for FS

The Morgans have had aircraft for a long time. I remember one that had a C210 and the gear wouldn't come down. He was a climber and had rope in the cockpit. Flew around MWO burning off fuel and managed to lasso the gear and pull it forward into the locked position. After that landing was normal. Turned out improper pre-heat had damaged a hydraulic line and the fluid ran out before the pilot side main locked.

Not sure it is the same family but they owned a construction company in Middletown.

I hate the idea of crashing in a low wing with one door that can easily get jammed shut if the wing is bent up on impact. Add a post-crash fire to a jammed door and survival gets dicey.

The baggage compartment on my plane is also an emergency exit.

The baggage compartment on my plane is also an emergency exit.

Perfect! Unless you have a plie of crap tied down in it... Or panicked passengers to crawl over.

Edit: Be nearly impossible to get an unconscious body out of a baggage door in the case the lone cabin door is jammed shut.

Last edited:

Aside from having two doors on my low wing, the forced landing checklist includes an item for unlatching/opening doors before landing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Aside from having two doors on my low wing, the forced landing checklist includes an item for unlatching/opening doors before landing.

Unlatched is not open far enough to get out. There was an accident video on AOPA that proved that. However, they were able to push the door open forcefully as the wing was not deformed to the point of entrapment. Maybe flimsy doors are a good thing. There was no post crash fire either in that one.

Bill, are you flying a Commander? I love the looks of that airplane.

Unlatched is not open far enough to get out. There was an accident video on AOPA that proved that. However, they were able to push the door open forcefully as the wing was not deformed to the point of entrapment. Maybe flimsy doors are a good thing. There was no post crash fire either in that one.

And a 206 has only one front door and the back door gets blocked by the flaps...

I am more concerned with if I will be able to get the door opened upside down in most low wing products.

Cirrus and Diamond have the right idea including hammers, and I have considered one for my Cessna too.

And a 206 has only one front door and the back door gets blocked by the flaps...

I am more concerned with if I will be able to get the door opened upside down in most low wing products.

Cirrus and Diamond have the right idea including hammers, and I have considered one for my Cessna too.

CRASH AXE, standard issue on Dassault products...

205, one of the most pilot friendly 6 seat cessnas built. Two front doors and a large baggage door.

The Morgans have had aircraft for a long time. I remember one that had a C210 and the gear wouldn't come down. He was a climber and had rope in the cockpit. Flew around MWO burning off fuel and managed to lasso the gear and pull it forward into the locked position. After that landing was normal. Turned out improper pre-heat had damaged a hydraulic line and the fluid ran out before the pilot side main locked.

Not sure it is the same family but they owned a construction company in Middletown.
Sounds like Chuck Norris was actually flying that airplane. He doesn't lower the gear, he lasso's it! :rofl:

Sounds like Chuck Norris was actually flying that airplane. He doesn't lower the gear, he lasso's it! :rofl:

Flight instructors thought he was crazy as he$# finding a lasso in his flight bag I bet

My argument to TSA when they took my nail clippers, "You realize I have a crash axe in the cockpit with me, right?" Blank stare! Hello..helllo

Friend had a tiny knife taken from him. He asked why they were taking it,

Blueberry said it was so he couldn't get control of the plane.

This friend is a delta pilot and was in uniform:rofl:

Who cares, you have an axe and a jet...

The solution is readily apparent. :goofy:
I think you could push side windows out easy enough using feet depending on make/model. I would think all non-pressurized aircraft.

Were those Chuck Norris clippers? Surely even the TSA wouldn't mess with Chuck Norris!!!

That plane was built with 1/8" thick acrylic windows held to the skin with adhesive.

They're gonna kick out.

That plane was built with 1/8" thick acrylic windows held to the skin with adhesive.

They're gonna kick out.

Based on the history of this airframe, the windows are probably Saran Wrap and mounted with duct tape. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Back