Aircraft Carrier Departure

I love where he says no cat shot but "he thinks he has enough horsepower" and then uses only half the available "runway"!!

He used way less than half the ruwnay
I want to know where they got the flight deck guys on a decommissioned ship like that.

I've always wanted to land/takeoff on a carrier in the Navion. The Army used to do it back in Korea with a lot less HP than I have (other than paint there isn't really any difference between an L-17 and a civilian Navion). Looks like he starts further than halfway down the angled deck and is still off well before the end.

half the deck for the deck run, plus no extra wind over the deck and then a near vertical climb ... yeah, I think he has "enough horsepower" ...

He used way less than half the ruwnay
I want to know where they got the flight deck guys on a decommissioned ship like that.

I can't imagine it was hard for them to find a volunteer... "Anyone want to go to San Francisco for an airshow and launch one of the participants off the Midway?"

I can't imagine it was hard for them to find a volunteer... "Anyone want to go to San Francisco for an airshow and launch one of the participants off the Midway?"

Yeah, but the Midway is tied up in San Diego. But, your point is well taken. Probably not hard to get volunteers at all.

Nice, but just doesn't do the same for me as:

b25cv61takeoff.JPG

half the deck for the deck run, plus no extra wind over the deck and then a near vertical climb ... yeah, I think he has "enough horsepower" ...
I'd have to agree! I don't recall any Navy bird ever doing that off the boat, Blue Angels excepted... and, that was NOT off a boat!

Steve, that looks like a Trader. Am I correct?

I saw the C-1 take off from the Ike many times, no cat. It was our COD (Carrier On-Deck Delivery) bird used to carry mail and some supplies. She was called "Mamie" after Mamie Eisenhower, the wife of Dwight "Ike" Eisenhower. The C-1 Trader is also the same as the S-2 Tracker.

The kicker.... little ole Mamie had twin engines, each with over 1500 HP. I don't recall much of a vertical climb on that ole girl! Mamie had a special place in the hearts of the crew as it always meant mail was coming when she returned to the boat.

Sadly, Mamie was lost on approach into Souda Bay in April 1981. Eleven sailors perished. While I was supposed to be aboard within a couple days of leaving a stateside attachment to the wing, I got held up at Sicily and then at Crete. I was to fly aboard on Mamie's return flight. Instead, I happily stayed at Crete for an extra day and enjoyed strange Greek food. The next day, I flew aboard on a CH-46. Only then did I learn about Mamie going down. Two of the sailors were from my own squadron. They were headed home for separation. :(

Maybe this will help
I'm definitely lost now. The headgear looks to be WWII at the latest. I can't picture the plane well at all. From the front, it did look like a Trader. But, I'm lost with the double vertical stabilizers.

Back