Aircraft and parts prices out of control

but the FAA then creates the PMA to put up a legal roadblock to cheap high quality parts.
How so? As an A&P there nothing that stops you from installing those cheap high quality parts on a TC aircraft as an alteration. Regardless the PMA, TSO, or STC systems are not just a domestic FAA policy either, but are how the US meets the requirements of various aviation international agreements/treaties they are signatories on. It the same system that prevents the TCCA owner-maintained aircraft from leaving Canada as they no longer meet several of the aviation bilateral agreements they’ve signed and do not meet international airworthiness standards.
Look at a 337 for a Major repair. You can get the FAA's blessing to repair a wing, but not sell a wing repair kit. Piper owners are feeling this now with the spar AD. There is nothing special about the repair, but Piper uses the FAA to for an overpriced kit that's basically copy/pasted from the 43.13-1B
Curious. If the repair scheme is “copy/pasted from the 43.13-1B” why can’t an APIA use the same AC43.13 repair vs buy the kit and comply with the AD via an AMOC?

How so? As an A&P there nothing that stops you from installing those cheap high quality parts on a TC aircraft as an alteration. Regardless the PMA, TSO, or STC systems are not just a domestic FAA policy either, but are how the US meets the requirements of various aviation international agreements/treaties they are signatories on. It the same system that prevents the TCCA owner-maintained aircraft from leaving Canada as they no longer meet several of the aviation bilateral agreements they’ve signed and do not meet international airworthiness standards.

Curious. If the repair scheme is “copy/pasted from the 43.13-1B” why can’t an APIA use the same AC43.13 repair vs buy the kit and comply with the AD via an AMOC?

Seriously? You actually believe what you just wrote?

Why even have A&Ps or airworthiness standards?

That's about as all I can say about such an uneducated reply.

APs can fabricate parts/assist in owner produced parts as well. Not everything has to be TSO or PMA. If my Cessna door hinges break and they cost $1000, I will certainly be owner producing equally good or better versions for my AP to install.

I don't blame Cessna for not wanting to support 50+ year old aircraft, but if they want to get people into new aircraft they need to make it affordable.
My 1964 Cessna 210D sold new for about $25k. Adjusted for the Feds deliberate money debasement this plane should sell for about $170,000. This is not a typo!

APs can fabricate parts/assist in owner produced parts as well. Not everything has to be TSO or PMA. If my Cessna door hinges break and they cost $1000, I will certainly be owner producing equally good or better versions for my AP to install.

Everyone seems to know these mythical A&Ps that seem to want to throw away their certificate for anyone that asks.

Granted there is an AC for old replacement substitutes, but we're not talking simple bushings.

Seriously? You actually believe what you just wrote? Why even have A&Ps or airworthiness standards? That's about as all I can say about such an uneducated reply.
Ha. So let me see if I got this straight.

You complained the PMA process prevents you or “gets in the way” from allowing you to install “cheap high quality parts” on an aircraft and I provided you with one legal method to get round the PMA process via a Part 43 alteration that is used by owners and mechanics every day.

Then you complained that the FAA forces you to use an “overpriced kit that's basically copy/pasted from the 43.13-1B” to comply with an AD which I questioned why not simply use the AC 43.13-1B repair with an AMOC which is another possible legal option that is used on occasion by owners and mechanics.

Yet you believe my answers are not serious and uneducated? Okay, edumacate me where I went wrong with my replies. Specifics please. And you won’t hurt my feelings either.;)

My 1964 Cessna 210D sold new for about $25k. Adjusted for the Feds deliberate money debasement this plane should sell for about $170,000. This is not a typo!
This is the point I was making about the Baron price. I guess they are producing less than they were in the 60's and 70's, but that is because they cost so much, lower the price and they will sell more. If the FAA's main purpose is safety, then why are we relegated to flying around in old junk.

This is the point I was making about the Baron price. I guess they are producing less than they were in the 60's and 70's, but that is because they cost so much, lower the price and they will sell more. If the FAA's main purpose is safety, then why are we relegated to flying around in old junk.

I don't believe the purpose of the FAA is to control market prices on new aircraft.

Everyone seems to know these mythical A&Ps that seem to want to throw away their certificate for anyone that asks.
What's so mythical about them? I know of many APs who fabricate parts (Part 21), install/assist with owner produced parts (Part 21), install non-TSO parts (Part43), and so on. All legal with no issues against their certificates. So what is the issue?

guess they are producing less than they were in the 60's and 70's, but that is because they cost so much, lower the price and they will sell more.
Perhaps there are only so many people buying new Barons that Beech only makes so many? Why not call them and ask? As to cost if you are implying the FAA is causing the high cost its doubtful as all the certification costs have been paid several times over given how long Barons have been around. So all you really have left is labor, materials, and market demand.
If the FAA's main purpose is safety, then why are we relegated to flying around in old junk.
Last I checked, the FAA doesn't have any regulation preventing you from buying a new Cessna or Piper. So that's more a personal decision to fly around in old junk. And people do buy new aircraft. Just saw a real nice new 182 several weeks ago.

Thankfully, both in Canada O-M and US EAB, mx/repair allowances are extended to ALL owners regardless of bUiLdEr status.

Where are you getting this? The FAA does NOT grant a repairman certificate to anybody that buys an EAB registered aircraft. In fact, they specifically will not issue you a repairman certificate unless you are listed as a primary builder on the registration documentation AND, to the satisfaction of the administrator, demonstrate that you are knowledgeable enough to be capable of determining whether the aircraft is airworthy during a conditional inspection.

Where are you getting this? The FAA does NOT grant a repairman certificate to anybody that buys an EAB registered aircraft. In fact, they specifically will not issue you a repairman certificate unless you are listed as a primary builder on the registration documentation AND, to the satisfaction of the administrator, demonstrate that you are knowledgeable enough to be capable of determining whether the aircraft is airworthy during a conditional inspection.

Read what I wrote again. I said mx/repair allowance, not inspection authority allowance. I'm aware the repairman cert is only for the builder.

My

Granted there is an AC for old replacement substitutes, but we're not talking simple bushings.
AP/IA is fine producing most simple parts and signing off on my “experimental” GTR-200.

Read what I wrote again. I said mx/repair allowance, not inspection authority allowance. I'm aware the repairman cert is only for the builder.
Given that your preceding and proceeding sentences dealt with builders, what you meant to say didn't come across clearly.

It would've been helpful to point to AC 43-12 as revised if that's what you're referring to. Not sure where the term "allowance" came from. Perhaps we're operating in two different regulatory environments(?)

Either way, I think we're saying the same thing and one of us didn't know it. :oops:

The FAA does NOT grant a repairman certificate to anybody that buys an EAB registered aircraft.

Most here know this, but to reiterate because there’s a lot of misunderstanding out there…

No repairman certificate, nor a certificate of any kind, is required to perform maintenance and modifications to any Experimental aircraft, whether they or someone else built it. The repairman certificate is only needed to perform the Annual Condition Inspection.

Most here know this, but to reiterate because there’s a lot of misunderstanding out there…

No repairman certificate, nor a certificate of any kind, is required to perform maintenance and modifications to any Experimental aircraft, whether they or someone else built it. The repairman certificate is only needed to perform the Annual Condition Inspection.
Unless you aren't the builder and they're major alterations, in which case you might get bounced back to phase 1 testing... Wish I was kidding

Uneducated. Right. Bell206 has more experience in his little finger than most of the rest of us mechanics have in our whole bodies.

Once again: please cite your maintenance credentials and experience.

Unless you aren't the builder and they're major alterations, in which case you might get bounced back to phase 1 testing... Wish I was kidding

I’ll take your word for it. My E-LSA Operating Limitations reference various phases of flight testing, but I was exempt from any testing, since I was moving from S-LSA. And since all my alterations have been quite minor, no phased flight testing has been required, though I do a “Return to Service” test flight after any alteration or maintenance.

I know “Major Alteration” is defined as “…an alteration not listed in the aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller specifications -

(1) That might appreciably affect weight, balance, structural strength, performance, powerplant operation, flight characteristics, or other qualities affecting airworthiness; or

(2) That is not done according to accepted practices or cannot be done by elementary operations

But it seems the qualifier “appreciably” is largely subjective. Different engine seems obviously major. But different prop? Re-pitching an existing ground-adjustable prop? Adding wheel fairings? Lots of room for interpretation, it seems.

Back