Aircard and a router?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Getting a good, reliable way to get an internet connection in rural America can be a real challenge. We're so fed up with Hughes satellite service! I'm back on dial-up half the time now (at 24-30kbps). We hate to keep sinking money into their horrible service and monthly charges plus pay for added dial-up.

So, we are looking at other means to get on the internet here at the farm. Can't get cable and DSL isn't available.

So, the guy at Best Buy told me that they have a router that you can use with an aircard, but I don't know anything about aircards or which company (Sprint, Verizon?) is a good one to use for that.

Y'all have any suggestions?

Thanks. :)

You can certainly do this, but it all depends upon what service is available at your home. Verizon, Sprint and AT&T all have pretty fast 3G service available, but it is location-dependent. In fact, think T-Mobile may as well.

So, first and foremost, you need to check with the various carriers to see what quality and speed they have at your location. I know you use an iPhone- how is the data service on that at the farm (is your iPhone 3G?).

There are devices available that do exactly what you describe, and they don't cost too fool much either.

I use an AT&T "aircard" at teh Log Bauble in Fredericksburg, and while it is not 3G, it still provides adequate service (not great, but beggars and choosers...). Ironically, Verizon is the line carrier at the address, but Verizon's wireless signal does not reach at all. All based upon what's near.

More to come, but short answer is: it may work great for you, and os definitely worth further exploration.

OK, looks to me like Sprint has good coverage at Twin Oaks, if their map is to be believed.

http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/IMPAC...linestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones&language=EN

Speeds would be the top tier on the list here: http://www.nextel.com/en/stores/popups/compare_data_speeds_popup.shtml

AT&T has what looks like marginal coverage at best; how's the iPhone data speed? That's what you'd get.

T-Mobile might have Edge coverage... meh... just like AT&T.

Verizon... claims to have full-strength 3G coverage at your location... could rock.

Next step: call the outfits and ask!

It all depends on the cell coverage as Spike said. The Sprint 3G has a 30 day trial period. Give it a shot, I think its the best out there, but it all depends on cell coverage. More bars, higher speed.

I have a D-Link DIR 450 that works just fine with my Verizon Sierra AC-595, although the router did need a firmware update when I updated to the AC-595. I use it as a backup Internet connection in my office. I also have set these systems up for clients, with a high rate of satisfaction.

Other than compatibility with your card and provider and the quality of the available signal, my only caveat would be that some EVDO providers limit your bandwidth, which may easily be exceeded if you start downloading music, movies, etc.

One other thing to mention is that you can greatly extend the range and quality of the connection with available antennas and amplifiers. I've pulled decent quality signal as far as 20 miles from the nearest towers with amplifiers and directional antennas.

-Rich

Getting a good, reliable way to get an internet connection in rural America can be a real challenge. We're so fed up with Hughes satellite service! I'm back on dial-up half the time now (at 24-30kbps). We hate to keep sinking money into their horrible service and monthly charges plus pay for added dial-up.

So, we are looking at other means to get on the internet here at the farm. Can't get cable and DSL isn't available.

So, the guy at Best Buy told me that they have a router that you can use with an aircard, but I don't know anything about aircards or which company (Sprint, Verizon?) is a good one to use for that.

PS: We don't get Saturday Night Live until Tuesday morning

I was pretty sure there might be more to the problem than just the cell phone.

T-Mobile still does not offer a 3G aircard, and you do not want to browse on EDGE.

Sprint is moving towards 4G, from my understanding, even though I have no idea what 4G is, but it sounds faster....

Verizon is 3G in your area, and reliable as hell, from my experience.

IMHO, you're probably better off with Verizon. Sprint is a dying company, and AT&T and T-Mobile are jokes in rural areas.

T-Mobile still does not offer a 3G aircard, and you do not want to browse on EDGE.
That is for darn sure!!

Sprint is moving towards 4G, from my understanding, even though I have no idea what 4G is, but it sounds faster....
I know what 4G is and it is a lot faster. Sprint will be an MVNO for 4G with Clearwire providing the networks. But right now there are only three 4G coverage areas in the US. Portland, OR, Chicago, IL, and Baltimore, MD. so it is really not an option for you.

Look at your 3G coverage with one of the operators that provides 1xEV-DO or 3G.

"PS: We don't get Saturday Night Live until Tuesday morning"

I was pretty sure there might be more to the problem than just the cell phone.
Wayne, you crack me up. :D

Thanks for the link, Rich. The router looks like just what we need. Maybe it would even make it all the way to our hangar for our friends who spend the night out there. And thanks to the rest of y'all for your suggestions. I don't understand what some of the words are that you used, but Google is my friend. :)

I'll start off with a call to Verizon.

I have a Verizon aircard for my laptop. So far it's worked great. If you're
in their network it's real fast .. but when you're in Extended Network
it's good but not as fast. It's very handy for when I'm down at
my hangar or traveling.

I know you use an iPhone- how is the data service on that at the farm (is your iPhone 3G?).
I forgot to answer this one. :redface: Our iPhones are 3G, but the area isn't. We have 5 bars most of the time, but also 3 bars sometimes. It's always faster than dial-up. :yes:

Looks like several people have already provided good advice. I'm not into repeating what has already been said.

I do have one *new* solution though... I have really fast internet. It always works. You can have my internet--provided I can have your farm. Interested? :)

Last edited:
cell phone [ sél fn ] (plural cell phones)

noun Definition: portable phone: a portable telephone operated through a cellular radio network

[Late 20th century. Contraction of cellular telephone]

"PS: We don't get Saturday Night Live until Tuesday morning"

Wayne, you crack me up. :D

Thanks for the link, Rich. The router looks like just what we need. Maybe it would even make it all the way to our hangar for our friends who spend the night out there. And thanks to the rest of y'all for your suggestions. I don't understand what some of the words are that you used, but Google is my friend. :)

I'll start off with a call to Verizon.

There are several solutions to this problem:

1. If you can find reasonable 3G coverage (ie something faster than Edge) then a wireless card + router is probably the easiest/best solution to your problem.

2. If you live close enough to town, a local ISP might offer broadcast (wiMax-like) internet service. Do a search for wireless last mile internet. These systems typically require installation of a small directional antenna on your house.

3. If you are an adventuresome techie and have a friend who lives in town (with a reasonable distance < a few miles, and reasonable line of sight).... you can broadcast Wifi to your location using highly directional antennas and Ethernet to Wifi Bridges.

2. If you live close enough to town, a local ISP might offer broadcast (wiMax-like) internet service. Do a search for wireless last mile internet. These systems typically require installation of a small directional antenna on your house.
The technology for that is called CanopyTM

I do have one *new* solution though... I have really fast internet. It always works. You can have my internet--provided I can have your farm. Interested? :)
Hmmmmmm.....maybe! :D

I have been reading the hundreds of comments of unhappy Hughes customers the past two days and feel like I'm attending group support sessions. :D

Here's part of a comment from one lady who lives in the boonies and is very unhappy (foaming at the mouth kind of unhappy) with Hughes:

"Sometimes, living in the middle of nowhere isn’t as relaxing as it should be." :D I can identify with that. :yes:

Well, we gave in and ordered their $125 repair visit, again. Last month the guy that came was clueless, didn't really fix anything and he severed our TV satellite cable with his digging tool. :nonod: They send some of the strangest guys here...Joe Areeda got to meet one of them last year when he was here. At that point in time, Joe and I were competing for our farm dial-up...well, when we weren't in the closets during the tornado warnings. :D

We'll get whacked when we cancel our contract with Hughes early, but at this point it will be worth it. But, in the meantime, I'm shopping for an aircard and router. :yes:

Thanks again, everyone, for your suggestions. :)

...We'll get whacked when we cancel our contract with Hughes early, but at this point it will be worth it. But, in the meantime, I'm shopping for an aircard and router. :yes:

Thanks again, everyone, for your suggestions. :)

How can they "wack" you when it never worked? :dunno:

Sounds like Hughes and DirecTV are still attached at the hip as far customer focus is concerned.

Just climb one of the poles on your property and aim a WiFi yagi at the nearest neighbor or town that has real access.

I have Sprint EvDO. I am on the older data plan that had unlimited data (it's now just the same as Verizon, 5 GB/mo). Aside from Sprint having customer service h***, it's worked pretty well for me.

Earlier this year, I bought a wireless router that works with several Sprint data card.... it also works with several of Verizon's cards. My brother and I shared it (he has VZ, paid by work, I have Sprint) when we were taking care of elderly parents. The router is a Kyocera KR2 mobile router. I think I paid about $150 for it. I'll use it at my mountain property (where cable and phone company highspeed is unavailable). We used the router with three different EvDO cards (Pantech, Sierra, and a USB card) with great success.

Operated multiple computers simultaneously through the router.

IIRC, Verizon's TOS doesn't allow use of such devices, but....

Highly recommended.

Diana,

If you go with the air card and a router, look CLOSELY at the plans. It is my understanding most of the company's did away with "unlimited" and have put a limit on it.
If you have an older plan that is still unlimited you can attach it to you would be fine though.

Mark B

I know you use an iPhone- how is the data service on that at the farm (is your iPhone 3G?).

Diana was an early iPhoner, like me, so unless she's gotten another one, her iPhone is not 3G. Thus, the aircard idea could be quite a bit faster.

However - Diana - You might want to wait a few months (as in, until the end of June). Word is that the iPhone OS 3.0 will allow tethering, thus you wouldn't need the aircard (at $60/mo plus purchase price) or the router (at $$$? purchase price). So, you might get the full aircard/router capability using your iPhone for free!

OK, looks to me like Sprint has good coverage at Twin Oaks, if their map is to be believed.

My advice: Don't go with Sprint if you can possibly help it. They have the absolute worst customer service of any company I have EVER dealt with. There are not words strong enough to describe it. Suffice it to say that it's the only time in my life I have wanted to actually clock someone without being physically provoked.

Verizon... claims to have full-strength 3G coverage at your location... could rock.

And has the best customer service of any of the cell companies, IME. If the iPhone/3.0 won't do the trick (and we probably won't know for sure until June), this is the way to go.

Are you related to the red paper clip guy?

Diana,

Try to make an semi-accurate journal/diary of the situation (if you haven't already). Or just direct them to this site for the bijillion times for you posted stuff that shows that it was not fully up and running. That way you document the ongoing problems and they may just try to back away.

Or if they press you for money, threaten to counter-sue for pain and suffering.

J

Diana, to expand on what Jim said, I believe that, with a persistently-unreliable service, and the damage done during the inept repair attempts, you should be able to avoid an early-termination penalty. I'll be glad to write an "eat-dirt-and-die" letter, if it'd help...

You know, there *are* several outfits which seem to offer WISP (Wireless ISP) srevice in your neck of the woods. It's hard to tell what's legit and what is not.

http://www.tiadon.com/waverider.htm

These guys might, but depends upon whethert heir coverage has expanded: http://www.mobil1.net/

Again, questionable, but these look most like they're actually in business: http://www.fastfreedom.net/index.php?action=coverage

Thanks for checking that out for me Spike. :yes: Unfortunately, none of them reach the farm.

I have Sprint EvDO. I am on the older data plan that had unlimited data (it's now just the same as Verizon, 5 GB/mo). Aside from Sprint having customer service h***, it's worked pretty well for me.

Earlier this year, I bought a wireless router that works with several Sprint data card.... it also works with several of Verizon's cards. My brother and I shared it (he has VZ, paid by work, I have Sprint) when we were taking care of elderly parents. The router is a Kyocera KR2 mobile router. I think I paid about $150 for it. I'll use it at my mountain property (where cable and phone company highspeed is unavailable). We used the router with three different EvDO cards (Pantech, Sierra, and a USB card) with great success.

Operated multiple computers simultaneously through the router.

IIRC, Verizon's TOS doesn't allow use of such devices, but....

Highly recommended.

Thank you Bill, it's good to know that works for other people. :yes:

Y'all have given us some good ideas for aircards and routers that you use.

Diana was an early iPhoner, like me, so unless she's gotten another one, her iPhone is not 3G. Thus, the aircard idea could be quite a bit faster.

However - Diana - You might want to wait a few months (as in, until the end of June). Word is that the iPhone OS 3.0 will allow tethering, thus you wouldn't need the aircard (at $60/mo plus purchase price) or the router (at $$$? purchase price). So, you might get the full aircard/router capability using your iPhone for free!
I didn't know that! Sounds like a good option. I did upgrade to the 3G several months ago.

Diana,

Try to make an semi-accurate journal/diary of the situation (if you haven't already). Or just direct them to this site for the bijillion times for you posted stuff that shows that it was not fully up and running. That way you document the ongoing problems and they may just try to back away.

Or if they press you for money, threaten to counter-sue for pain and suffering.

J

Jim, that's not a bad idea. From what I've been reading from other sources, lots and lots of people have similar stories, but none have been successful in resolving their issues with Hughes. There have reportedly been class action suits too.

Diana, to expand on what Jim said, I believe that, with a persistently-unreliable service, and the damage done during the inept repair attempts, you should be able to avoid an early-termination penalty. I'll be glad to write an "eat-dirt-and-die" letter, if it'd help...
Spike, that's so sweet of you! :yes: Thank you for the offer. I think we'll just bite the bullet and try to get out of their tangled web as soon as we can. In the meantime, I asked them to send their smartest repair guy this next time, so we'll see how that works tomorrow. :dunno:

Now we have some ideas for an aircard with the helpful suggestions of Brian and several of you here, or maybe the iPhone option in the next few months.

The satellite receiver actually started working again late last night, but quit again this afternoon. There doesn't seem to be any logical pattern to it at all.

Last edited:
Perhaps their satellite service itself is worthless or over-loaded..if that is the case..there isn't a repair guy in the world that can fix that at your farm.

Based on the fact that I have never met someone that didn't have constant problems with Hughes I believe the above may be true.

I do stationary EVDO setups pretty regularly for people who can't get cable / DSL / FIOS, but who are within range of a 3G-equipped tower. Around here, that means most people who live within 10 - 20 miles of an Interstate highway, if they're willing to pay for the equipment.

The most important information you need are the tower locations and the frequencies they're using. I've found two sites:

http://www.wirelessadvisor.com and

http://www.cellreception.com

to be very useful for finding this information. Once you know the location, distance, carrier, and frequency, you can start to design your station.

Sometimes all you need is the card and a router and maybe a simple, non-powered external antenna. Other times, a passive radiator on a window facing the tower will give enough of a boost to make an unstable signal usable. But for long distances (or for best performance over moderate distances), a directional antenna and an amplifier are needed.

Once you decide how you're going to proceed, this place has everything you could possibly want for 3G / EVDO.

-Rich

Diana we are feeling your pain here with hughes. We are paying $200 a month on there business plan and $20 extra a month for next day service. Anytime it is down I call and talk to the india department and then they ask me a million questions and then tell me that they need to transfer me to another department. I then 1 hour later get ahold of someone to set up a repair and the repair guy does not show up. I have to fix it myself all the time and the speeds are worse than dial up IMO.

We are now planning on having the fiber optics ran 2 miles to get something different setup. :nonod:

I do stationary EVDO setups pretty regularly for people who can't get cable / DSL / FIOS, but who are within range of a 3G-equipped tower. Around here, that means most people who live within 10 - 20 miles of an Interstate highway, if they're willing to pay for the equipment.

The most important information you need are the tower locations and the frequencies they're using. I've found two sites:

-Rich
Rich, thank you soooo much for all of the information...I really appreciate it. :yes:

Diana we are feeling your pain here with hughes. We are paying $200 a month on there business plan and $20 extra a month for next day service. Anytime it is down I call and talk to the india department and then they ask me a million questions and then tell me that they need to transfer me to another department. I then 1 hour later get ahold of someone to set up a repair and the repair guy does not show up. I have to fix it myself all the time and the speeds are worse than dial up IMO.

We are now planning on having the fiber optics ran 2 miles to get something different setup. :nonod:

None of that surprises me. It's a shame. And I know just what you're talking about, especially about being on the phone with them for so long. I was on the phone with them for 90 minutes the other day.

The good news is that they actually DID send the smartest guy out this time (for a change) and he fixed it within 15 minutes. :goofy: It's going so fast now I don't know what to do with myself (besides upload more photos to Facebook :D). It will likely get me quicker to being whacked for exceeding my FAP threshold. :rolleyes:

At least now we won't be in as much of a rush to fine the best aircard, provider and router.

Thanks again, everyone, for your helpful suggestions. :)

Rich, thank you soooo much for all of the information...I really appreciate it. :yes:

None of that surprises me. It's a shame. And I know just what you're talking about, especially about being on the phone with them for so long. I was on the phone with them for 90 minutes the other day.

The good news is that they actually DID send the smartest guy out this time (for a change) and he fixed it within 15 minutes. :goofy: It's going so fast now I don't know what to do with myself (besides upload more photos to Facebook :D). It will likely get me quicker to being whacked for exceeding my FAP threshold. :rolleyes:

At least now we won't be in as much of a rush to fine the best aircard, provider and router.

Thanks again, everyone, for your helpful suggestions. :)

that was fast! Dawn and I are going to be at Beaumont for supper, if you want to make a run for it :D

Im still waiting on my 2nd request for a tech to come fix ours off fallback mode from 3 weeks ago.:mad2:

Im debating on just tossing the system in the next brush fire. Then calling them and telling them my system blew away in the storm. :fcross:

Oh well im off to sun n fun tomarrow to meet up with the fam.
:blueplane:

If it's two miles and you have line of sight you can use a radio or laser link. If you have somewhere on the other side where you can mount stuff, I'd start with Wifi with a pair of beam antennas.

that was fast! Dawn and I are going to be at Beaumont for supper, if you want to make a run for it :D
Dang, I missed it!!!!! Well, I had a flat tire again, anyway. I hope you guys had a good time. How's their dinner menu? Did Hayden go?

dinner was yummy. I had a turkey sandwich and Dawn had a steak burger or something like that. it was a very nice night to fly. I did get Hayden, better post in the Hayden thread.

In your location I'd ask a friend with a Sprint, Verizon and ATT and see who has the best service on their phone. Also check what level of Data service is being broadcast in your area. I have Sprint and am pleased, it is also the least expensive of the wireless broadband.

This item (http://global.level1.com/product_d.php?id=515) was reviewed on Engaget.com.

It is a mobile Aircard to Wifi router... with a twist. It uses a WAN connection as the primary internet source (ie your Hughes satellite), and when that connection fails, it will revert back to the mobile Aircard for a redundant WAN connection.

This item (http://global.level1.com/product_d.php?id=515) was reviewed on Engaget.com.

It is a mobile Aircard to Wifi router... with a twist. It uses a WAN connection as the primary internet source (ie your Hughes satellite), and when that connection fails, it will revert back to the mobile Aircard for a redundant WAN connection.

Most yachts with broadband satellite use these (or similar) to save money when in ports working regions for a season. I haven't bought one in a few years, but back then, they were none too cheap.

Last edited:

The Kyocera box will do that....

She's likely to find EvDO to be faster than Hughes.

Back