Aircamping gear pireps and recommendations

FancyG

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FancyG
Hope to make Arkanstol and camp with the plane.
Looking for recommendations on:
Tent - 2-3? person
Pad
Sleeping bag
Other sundries?

Have a Claw tiedown already.

Thanks!

It depends on how much cargo space you have... since I have very limited baggage space I use backpacking gear, most of which I have anyway.

Right now my air camping gear is a light down sleeping bag from HykeandByke, I also have one of their tents but I haven't used it yet, mostly I use an Outdoor Research bivy sack unless it's buggy or I want privacy. Thermarest Neoair pad and Marmot inflatable pillow. Trangia type alcohol stove, small cookpot, and collapsible cone filter for my morning coffee. I have a folding chair but I don't know the brand.

It depends on how much cargo space you have... since I have very limited baggage space I use backpacking gear, most of which I have anyway.

Right now my air camping gear is a light down sleeping bag from HykeandByke, I also have one of their tents but I haven't used it yet, mostly I use an Outdoor Research bivy sack unless it's buggy or I want privacy. Thermarest Neoair pad and Marmot inflatable pillow. Trangia type alcohol stove, small cookpot, and collapsible cone filter for my morning coffee. I have a folding chair but I don't know the brand.

Pretty great baggage space, fortunately. Thanks for the coffee reminder, have a propane burner and percolator pot somewhere. I believe all meals are available on-site for the event.

My stuff is Walmart special. It’s cheap and therefore light. I’m on year 4 of a $30 tent… There’s pads on Amazon that take only a few breaths to blow up- but very comfortable. I fly a Cessna 140 so my gear space is limited!

tent, pad, cheap sleeping bag a warm or cool outfit (wear the opposite) I only change undies n socks… if I want a little snit at the campfire a small bottle of whiskey- beer is too bulky n heavy…

small light duty meskit, if I have to bring food ramen noodles and those pouches of mashed potatoes, stovetop stuffing and a couple cans of canned chicken and ya can eat well and was light to carry as long as ya can get potable water at destination.

We used Trekology chairs at Oshkosh this year. I carried 3 of them in my pack each day and it didn't kill me. They held up as well as anything else and the price isn't ludicrous: https://trekology.com/products/trekology-yizi-go-portable-camping-chair

As others have mentioned - look for gear targeting backcountry hunting/hiking/camping to get quality lightweight stuff. Ex: That MSR tent that kyle suggested - I have seen it referenced on backcountry hunting sites where people are camping in the mountains goat hunting (bad winds and questionable weather). Don't skimp too munch on a sleeping pad - a good one can make a horrible (lumpy) spot bearable or a cheap one can make a good flat (but hard) spot painful.

x2 on the Ramen bomb (Ramen + potatoes + tuna/fish) for food. Sounds horrible, but when you just need 'something' to eat, it fits the bill and actually isn't half bad once you get into it. You can get decent mess kits (coffee sized cup and pot with lid that all fit inside each other) at Wal-Mart or Academy cheap enough. Unless you're carving ounces off weight, no need to pay super high dollar for that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
Back