Airbus A320 Down

If you think unspecified control systems experience somehow translates into aircraft control systems experience then I can't help you.

By the way, if you're concerned about what type of control systems experience he has, maybe you should ask him.

tgbhV6w.gif

We're not talking control systems here in the sense of what we have now, we are talking artificial intelligence, machines that actually think and are capable making decisions beyond pre programmed and/or if/then type stuff. It's coming, maybe 20, maybe 50 years, I'm thinking we will see it in my lifetime.

I wonder how nervous people would get if you made a wireless network on an airbus with "Airbus-Flight-Control-Computer" as the name.

At the risk of sounding insulting (and I don't mean to be) I get the impression that most people here don't have any idea what goes into designing and implementing flight critical software. It's not a bunch of programmers throwing something together and "giving it a whirl." It is a very rigorous design and testing effort and not at all cheap.

agreed....I flew with a retired Rockwell Collins engineer just a few weeks ago that is now an RJ 700 first officer "for fun.

we were discussing software system "generations" and he explained to me every single letter of code has to be reviewed for a "high fidelity" certification required by some aircraft manufactures .( takes years and years ) ...this is why avionics systems lineage doesn't change much.

They are all heavy iron drivers and union workers......

Their contract dictates a " lubed " service....

Doesn't that apply to service from the rear only? I dunno but they all seem just a bit uptight...

What is your experience in changing tracks in automated control systems?

I have no experience or expertise in automated control systems. The reason I'd like to know whether you do is because it appears that you disagree with a couple of people who do have experience in the field, and it would be helpful in discerning which of you knows what they are talking about.

I have no experience or expertise in automated control systems. The reason I'd like to know whether you do is because it appears that you disagree with a couple of people who do have experience in the field, and it would be helpful in discerning which of you knows what they are talking about.

You're making things up. Re-consider your evaluation paradigm.

Doesn't that apply to service from the rear only? I dunno but they all seem just a bit uptight...

I sensed the same pushback.....

They all feel threatened by automation.... Kinda like union teachers ***** when failing test scores make them look bad...:mad2::mad2::mad:.....:rolleyes:

What have I made up?

What would be a better evaluation paradigm?

You've made up the conclusions you are drawing. The improved evaluation paradigm follows when you stop making things up.

You've made up the conclusions you are drawing. The improved evaluation paradigm follows when you stop making things up.

Your response is awfully vague. Can you be more specific?

I sensed the same pushback.....

They all feel threatened by automation.... Kinda like union teachers ***** when failing test scores make them look bad...:mad2::mad2::mad:.....:rolleyes:
I hope I'm not the uptight one... I'm not threatened by automation at all. I embrace it, when appropriate.

I'll trade my job for the sitting in the ground station guy. No time zone shifts, circadian rhythm disruptions, no DVT worries, stale air, solar radiation exposure... sign me up!

I'm just amazed that everyone thinks that this is a simple project with a 20 year or less horizon. I don't think some people understand the complexity and cost that a complete swap over of the GLOBAL airline industry to pilotless aircraft would entail.

I know this is Pilots of AMERICA, and we're all pretty spoiled over here with great communications, radar service, ADS, etc. The world is a big place, and there are corners of the globe that aren't even touched by the systems we have in place here, let alone the triple or quadruple redundant systems that would have to be put in place world-wide in order for this to even be thought of as possible. And that's not even taking into account the large leap in processing power and AI that I would imagine would have to be programmed into an autonomous (or semi-autonomous) airliner.

It's not about my job being threatened, me becoming obsolete, or scared of technology. It's me being a realist and saying "who is going to pay for all these upgrades when they've got two relatively cheap knuckleheads sitting up here."

I am an airline service consumer, and I would prefer an autonomous airliner at this point. That the general public favors my opinion more than yours is something I would wager a significant amount on.

Complete nonsense.

Just to bring it back a little on topic... We will probably see a rollout of cockpit cameras with live telemetry including all black box info, etc. via satellite links soon. Surprised this is not in place already actually.

Just to bring it back a little on topic... We will probably see a rollout of cockpit cameras with live telemetry including all black box info, etc. via satellite links soon. Surprised this is not in place already actually.
What are cameras going to do?

Because one guy went nuts and the company didn't catch it in time ?

What we will see is that most airlines will subscribe to location and datalink services so we dont lose another aircraft.

Purely out of curiosity if some pilot on his last flight wanted to have a bit of fun before he retired and did some extremely unauthorized aerobatics before brining the aircraft in for a completely safe landing what would the consequences be?

There is that "pushback" again,,,,:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
What pushback?

If someone could tell me how cameras would prevent this from happening, I'd be glad to listen.

I think security theater is ridiculous. All cameras will do is give the news media the hyped up version of the televised 911 call. "Just watch as the pilots furiously work hard to save this aircraft... the following video contains content that may not be suitable for young viewers..."

440,000 malpractice deaths in the US alone in 2013.
There were 224 airline deaths world-wide in 2013.

If you want to save lives, have a camera installed in every OR in the US. Spend the money there. You want to see push-back... wait until the AMA learns about your plan to keep Americans safe.

Back