Airbus 380 Pronounced Dead

...The 777 is a magnificent piece of machinery. Not sure why Boeing hasn't evolved that one further.

:confused: o_O ??

777-200, 200ER, 200LR, 300, 300ER, Freighter.
No competitive product to it, evidenced by the fact airlines with otherwise all-Airbus fleets such as Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Air have been significant 777 purchasers.

Seems like Boeing, preoccupied as it has been with the development & production of the 787, has still hit the commercial targets for the 777 variations dead on.

Did you make that point?

Just landed in Frankfurt. Rows of 747 amd A380s lined up at the Z concourse.
While the US market sees little use for the 600 seat cattle haulers doesn't mean there isn't a use for them.
The 777 is a magnificent piece of machinery. Not sure why Boeing hasn't evolved that one further.

I was supposed to work a flight to EDDF that would have arrived about the same time. Unfortunately I had an ocular problem and just couldn't see coming into work this week.

I was supposed to work a flight to EDDF that would have arrived about the same time. Unfortunately I had an ocular problem and just couldn't see coming into work this week.
I see what you did there.

Unfortunately I had an ocular problem and just couldn't see coming into work this week.

I call it anal glaucoma. Can't see my ass coming into work.

Yup, had a few of those during my days.

I have a good case of that going right now. My trip was supposed to send me down to Florida. See all the weather I'd have to fly through to get down there? Eff that - my plan is to drink beer and watch football all day. Let some short call reserve deal with that crap. :)

I have a good case of that going right now. My trip was supposed to send me down to Florida. See all the weather I'd have to fly through to get down there? Eff that - my plan is to drink beer and watch football all day. Let some short call reserve deal with that crap. :)

Perfectly understand, priorities, plus the Packers will be on soon. :D

Some years back, when both the 380 and the 787 were in development I remember reading a number of articles about the vastly different strategies being pursued by Airbus and Boeing. Airbus was wedded to the hub & spoke model, and saw the 380 as the next logical hub-to-hub aircraft. Boeing felt that worked for cargo but not people.

One of my brothers flies the B787. The 777 gets the high freight content routes - Sydney, Beijing and so forth. The 787 is sucking up all the non-stop from the west coast low cargo people hauler routes - Brisbane, Hong Kong, Seoul, New Delhi...

The 787 may have had some serious teething problems early on but it sure looks like Boeing got the strategy right in the end.

There are a number of 787s flying the Sydney to west coast runs. At least if I am to believe what I see on Flightaware while sitting here on Kauai. Flights that I have taken on UA in the past between SFO and SYD on the 777 are now being flown on the 787. And I'm scheduled to ride a 787 from SFO to SIN in March. Rode it from SFO to HGH and back last fall.

Personally, I liked the old 777 configuration on UA. 2-5-2 seating. My wife and I could get a window/aisle seat combo and not have to worry if someone would be seated between us. Not the case now. Nor in the 787s, they're 3-3-3 seating, as well. Just so long as they don't do something stupid like getting rid of E+ seating. Delete that legroom and I'll look at riding the competition.

Boeing hit a home run with the 777 and I suspect the new bigger 777Xs coming out in a few years are going to be well received. Essentially mini jumbos with very efficient twin fuel burn and aerodynamics, they are going to be very appealing to the airlines. Might also seal the fate of the 380 and 747 passanger variants.

Last edited:
Back