Airbus 380 Arrives.....

Yeah, it was most definitely an "arrival":

There was an audible wince among the crowd. "ooo."

Any idea what the reported winds were?
It looks like I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air than in the air wishing I was on the ground, if I was in an LSA or light experimental.:nono:

"It still looks like the aircraft is gonna probably still be usable..." Ouch!

pic from yesterday...

Attachments

• airbus380.jpg
    airbus380.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 58
After seeing that arrival I will NEVER have to apologize for ANY jet landing I make. That captain has to dread going back to France and the ribbing he will encounter.

There was an audible wince among the crowd. "ooo."

I never saw that. Ouch! I was waiting on the north side of the taxiway waiting for it to taxi into Aeroshell Square - actually a stone's throw away from Grant and Leslie. I wanted to stop and say hi, but the line folks kept moving us back - first, 10 ft, then another 20 ft, then ANOTHER 20 ft. By the time I turned around, I lost sight of them both. Sorry!

What was the other Airbus doing there today? Left after the airshow....

Beth and I stood in line for 50 minutes and got to walk through both levels. There were a few seats in position for the crew but for the most part there were water containers (to simulate the weight of humans) and lots of test equipment. When I get the pics downloaded, I'll post a few here. We didn't get to see the cockpit though.

I saw the airshow of the 380 but not the landing. I'm going back to look at the vid now.

Osh was a blast for us again this year!

Hm. I wasn't there, but judging from the video, I wonder if this hasn't been sensationalized. Landing looks acceptable to me. I'm sure the plane can handle it quite easily....

Agreed, it was firm (which is preferred in a crosswind) but there was very little bounce if any at all. I say it was not pretty, but the airplane is still usable so therefore sucsessful.

Oh for Pete's sake. I was there. The winds were gusting to 30 knots, they broke the pole on my damn canopy. I'd like to see anyone here land a jumbo jumbo jet with that kind of direct crosswind in three thousand feet (they had to make it before the taxiway that leads into the main square. I doubt they could have been pushed back). They did just fine by me.

Oh for Pete's sake. I was there. The winds were gusting to 30 knots, they broke the pole on my damn canopy. I'd like to see anyone here land a jumbo jumbo jet with that kind of direct crosswind in three thousand feet (they had to make it before the taxiway that leads into the main square. I doubt they could have been pushed back). They did just fine by me.

The winds were not gusting to 30 knots when the Airbus landed - No way. If I had to guess I'd say a steady wind at 12-15 knots.

They had 5500 feet to make the taxiway, and had they not been trying to show off their automated braking system, they wouldn't have *needed* to get stopped by the taxiway - They had a tug present. Besides, the 747 Large Cargo Freighter from last year which is comparable in size had no problem at all landing and making the same turnoff.

Could *I* do it? Well, I've never flown a jumbo jet, so probably not. But that's pretty well beside the point. It's not my job to do it. It *is* this pilot's job to do it.

The winds were not gusting to 30 knots when the Airbus landed - No way. If I had to guess I'd say a steady wind at 12-15 knots.

They had 5500 feet to make the taxiway, and had they not been trying to show off their automated braking system, they wouldn't have *needed* to get stopped by the taxiway - They had a tug present. Besides, the 747 Large Cargo Freighter from last year which is comparable in size had no problem at all landing and making the same turnoff.

Could *I* do it? Well, I've never flown a jumbo jet, so probably not. But that's pretty well beside the point. It's not my job to do it. It *is* this pilot's job to do it.

Baloney. The winds out in the North 40 were gusting like crazy; we thought they'd land on 9-27 like the space ship. Yes, it is the pilot's job, and I think they did just fine.

I have refrained from comment on this. I was not there. I did not see it live. Only from ONE angle from ONE source. BUT, from what I DID see on that ONE angle from ONE source, it didn't look that bad. Yeah, the touchdown was firm. Yes the wings flexed as a result. The rudder walk? Ehh, can't comment.

But what I have NOT seen mentioned is that this plane is still an Airbus company airplane. Who is to say that this landing wasn't part of an ongoing flight test program.

Give it a rest, already.

But what I have NOT seen mentioned is that this plane is still an Airbus company airplane. Who is to say that this landing wasn't part of an ongoing flight test program.

Give it a rest, already.

You speculating that they slammed it into the grond as part of a "hard landing" test of some sort, with that many people nearby?

I'm guessing that's not the case, otherwise Airbus has no business touting safety.

My take on the video? It was a gusty landing, and he wanted it down and stopped as early as possible. There was some PIO (I'd never heard PIO used to refer to rudder movement, but hell, I'll use it too), but it wasn't that big of a deal. Every video of the A380 I've seen shows the rudder go almost full deflection on landing, so I'm gonna assume that's SOP.

He landed with absolute determination. I'd sure hate to have all my landings scrutinized like that.

You speculating that they slammed it into the grond as part of a "hard landing" test of some sort, with that many people nearby?

What I saw I wouldn't exactly call slammed.

I'm guessing that's not the case, otherwise Airbus has no business touting safety.

Huh??? Why not? Sure proves the robustness of the gear.

I'd hate to have just ONE of my landings scrutinized like that!

The last landing I made in front of a bunch of people sucked. It happens. It just sucks to have it happen in front of a bunch of Boeing loving know-it-all-pilots with video cameras in Airbus's :D

What I saw I wouldn't exactly call slammed.
Nor I, really.

Huh??? Why not? Sure proves the robustness of the gear.

Because to have a test "hard landing" happen with that many people nearby is asking for trouble. I'd be more likely to believe it was a firm landing and nothing more.

I'd certainly hope they're not testing the robustness of their gear with thousands of people a few yards away.

Back