Air Transport Pilot

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
There is a recent thread on "what can I do with a commercial ticket?" OK, suppose one has a commercial certificate. That isn't the end of the line. The next step would be an ATP.
So what about that? Is it worth it to go for this certificate? Another written to study for and a practical test that wouldn't be easy.
Assuming that flying left seat at a 121 carrier is absolutely, positively out of the question, can one do anything with it?

Sure - there are a lot of 135 roles that require the ATP. Chief Pilot comes immediately to mind. You can also give instruction on ATP operations without having the CFI cert.

Flying as 135 PIC in that thingy that you're standing in front of in your avatar requires an ATP certificate...:yes: I think it applies to anything that requires a type rating, in addition to any scheduled operations under 135 regardless of equipment. (I know guys who have been required to have a single-engine ATP for 135 ops in a Bonanza ;))

Fly safe!

David

Is your boss in the Lear going to send you to school for a type rating anytime in the foreseeable future? If so, you could get your ATP at the same time if you have the written done.

It's the same ride as the type ride. One alternative is to get the SE ATP in your Mooney. Then when you do the type ride you will get ME ATP and the type in one ride.

135 chief pilot doesnt require ATP. my boss doesnt have one.

I believe that ATP is required for 135 PIC jet operations.

I plan to do my ATP along with my next 135 checkride, in september. Lance, Id say if you have the opportunity to do it, do it. The big reason Im doing it is because its not going to cost me anything and it wont hurt to have it!

Hey Lance, the way things are going, you might as well work on your ATP...never know what's going to happen, right!

Labquest flies out of LZU if that's something that might interest you...they require an ATP, and fly C310s (and they have a few TBM-700s...and I believe are getting into the VLJ market as well) picking up and delivering specimens. I believe they have all weekends off, and are done at a reasonable time, so you can get some sleep, and still get some stuff done on your own during the day. One of the better paying gigs out there too.

I took the ATP written about 10 years ago - not all that bad really...just really need to dig into the test prep book, and stick with it. You'll learn some good stuff along the way too.

an exclamation never heard: "Dang, I wish I'd never gotten that rating/certif/endorsement!"

135.243 said:
(a) No certificate holder may use a person, nor may any person serve, as pilot in command in passenger-carrying operations—
(1) Of a turbojet airplane, of an airplane having a passenger-seat configuration, excluding each crewmember seat, of 10 seats or more, or of a multiengine airplane in a commuter operation as defined in part 119 of this chapter, unless that person holds an airline transport pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings and, if required, an appropriate type rating for that airplane.
So, you can be PIC of a turbojet in a 135 operation without an ATP as long as you are not carrying passengers. Carrying freight would be OK.

However, in real life, a lot of employers want to see an ATP even though it is not required by regulation. The company I work for requires all PICs to have an ATP and a first class medical even though they may be only flying King Airs, where an ATP is not required.

Last edited:
However, in real life, a lot of employers want to see an ATP even though it is not required by regulation. The company I work for requires all PICs to have an ATP and a first class medical even though they may be only flying King Airs, where an ATP is not required.
I did my initial ATP in a Bonanza so I could act as PIC on King Airs...does that count? ;)

135 chief pilot doesnt require ATP. my boss doesnt have one.

I believe that ATP is required for 135 PIC jet operations.

I plan to do my ATP along with my next 135 checkride, in september. Lance, Id say if you have the opportunity to do it, do it. The big reason Im doing it is because its not going to cost me anything and it wont hurt to have it!

135 ops that don't require an ATP for PIC duties don't require an ATP for the chief pilot. However, 135 operators that DO require any of their PICs to hold an ATP require the Chief Pilot to hold the ATP.

Here's the applicable regs:
119.71 Management personnel: Qualifications for operations conducted under part 135 of this chapter.

(c) To serve as Chief Pilot under § 119.69(a) for a certificate holder conducting any operation for which the pilot in command is required to hold an airline transport pilot certificate a person must hold an airline transport pilot certificate with appropriate ratings and be qualified to serve as pilot in command in at least one aircraft used in the certificate holder's operation and:
(1) In the case of a person becoming a Chief Pilot for the first time ever, have at least 3 years experience, within the past 6 years, as pilot in command of an aircraft operated under part 121 or part 135 of this chapter.
(2) In the case of a person with previous experience as a Chief Pilot, have at least 3 years experience as pilot in command of an aircraft operated under part 121 or part 135 of this chapter.
(d) To serve as Chief Pilot under § 119.69(a) for a certificate holder that only conducts operations for which the pilot in command is required to hold a commercial pilot certificate, a person must hold at least a commercial pilot certificate. If an instrument rating is required for any pilot in command for that certificate holder, the Chief Pilot must also hold an instrument rating. The Chief Pilot must be qualified to serve as pilot in command in at least one aircraft used in the certificate holder's operation. In addition, the Chief Pilot must:
(1) In the case of a person becoming a Chief Pilot for the first time ever, have at least 3 years experience, within the past 6 years, as pilot in command of an aircraft operated under part 121 or part 135 of this chapter.
(2) In the case of a person with previous experience as a Chief Pilot, have at least 3 years experience as pilot in command of an aircraft operated under part 121 or part 135 of this chapter.

I did my initial ATP in a Bonanza so I could act as PIC on King Airs...does that count? ;)
Maybe in your world but not in ours. ;)

I looked at the job announcements and they specifically say "multiengine ATP". Do many people actually have single-engine ATPs? I don't, and I can't think of anyone offhand who I fly with that does, although I've never asked and the subject hasn't ever come up.

Maybe in your world but not in ours. ;)

I looked at the job announcements and they specifically say "multiengine ATP". Do many people actually have single-engine ATPs? I don't, and I can't think of anyone offhand who I fly with that does, although I've never asked and the subject hasn't ever come up.

It used to be far more common than it is now...guys would get their S.E. ATP so that their written wouldn't expire, and let whoever hired them pay for the M.E. ATP. I could probably only come up with half a dozen names if I tried, though.

I'll second that point. Our aeromedical service with a Pilatus PC-12 and King Air requires ATP and 1st class medical for all pilots; the neighboring competition does the same.

As the surplus of laid-off pilots increases, I doubt there will be any relaxation of those operator-specific requirements.

Jon

Back