Air-to-Air Cessna 205

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
Well, this one has used slightly!! It's about to go in for an annual, new interior, new paint, and more, but I couldn't wait. We'll plan to do some "after" photos!

You'll notice a strange tint to the photos... smoke from the California fires make for poor visibility here in Texas!

And... as for the belly shots... he must not have heard of me before!

50365075822_37f66d73dc_b.jpg

50364937816_735f549b36_b.jpg

50364934001_f6b2b59560_b.jpg

50364211293_9098d75057_b.jpg

50364900606_b2fa420516_b.jpg

50364897561_63df58a10c_b.jpg

I've definitely got a soft spot for these. Got my high performance in one. Even had all 6 seats full sightseeing one night.

I actually love that worn look.. back in my FSX days I wished the planes looked more "natural" as opposed to the brand spanking new look.. and to that point, the lighting and the "soft" tones makes this almost looks like an FS or X Plane skin!

That's a working airplane! Would love to have a 205.
Same, now if only my wife would just make up her mind on what's important to her (other than a Cirrus.)

Thanks, that was a long shot... I thought I'd give it a try. Will try a faster shutter speed next time.
Jealousy on the runway shot!

We tried it on our photoshoot and there was a mix up and the photo plane lined up over the runway so we aborted...but we were going for the shot you pulled off.

I will say I kinda like the blurred ground and plane razor sharp as it implies speed. Maybe everything sharp would also look good but the prop will probably be frozen then. So that was a great shot IMHO.

Jealousy on the runway shot!

We tried it on our photoshoot and there was a mix up and the photo plane lined up over the runway so we aborted...but we were going for the shot you pulled off.

I will say I kinda like the blurred ground and plane razor sharp as it implies speed. Maybe everything sharp would also look good but the prop will probably be frozen then. So that was a great shot IMHO.
Thanks! I will still want the blurred runway, just a slightly faster shutter would have given me more shots. I was only able to salvage one!

Thanks! I will still want the blurred runway, just a slightly faster shutter would have given me more shots. I was only able to salvage one!
its a fine line between shutter speed, ground blur, and prop blur. you nailed it that time......

Ya know? I like planes that might, on first blush, be called hoopties...

I took some folks up in the club 172 with faded clear coat on the "hood," no pants, worn tires, and no carpet (we're gettin' ready to paint and put a new interior in it).

They enjoyed the flight. Took 74 pix and brief vids on their flight...

That is all that matters!

Love the shots, Jack!
Looking forward to the after shots too!

Question.

What is the bulge on the nose for? Does it serve any purpose or just an empty space left over from the 210 nose wheel well?

206's don't have the bulge.

Question.

What is the bulge on the nose for? Does it serve any purpose or just an empty space left over from the 210 nose wheel well?

It is exactly that... leftover from the 210 cowling. This plane is a 205, but also designated a 210-5.

206s did indeed have the bulge, from their debut in 1964 through the 1969 model year. The P206 variant had a slightly different cowl with an extended prop shaft, looking more like the contemporary 210, but the bulge was still there. The 1970 206s had a re-shaped cowl that eliminated the bulge. Below are a U206 and a P206 from the 1967 model year.

As Jack indicated, the reason for the bulge on the "chin" of the 205 and early 206 was simply to maximize parts commonality with the 210.

cessna_u206b_02.jpg

N4727F_KSDM_19781122.jpg

Last edited:
I really enjoy your photos that you take. Would you mind sharing some of your processes to capture these? I assume you're using both 1DX's simultaneously, each with one of the lenses mentioned in your signature, depending on what shot you're going for? What do you fly in to capture these? These are all extremely high quality so it seems as if it's open-air (no door/window) or a super clean window.

I'm just interested in learning more about how you do this in general.

I really enjoy your photos that you take. Would you mind sharing some of your processes to capture these? I assume you're using both 1DX's simultaneously, each with one of the lenses mentioned in your signature, depending on what shot you're going for? What do you fly in to capture these? These are all extremely high quality so it seems as if it's open-air (no door/window) or a super clean window.

I'm just interested in learning more about how you do this in general.

Thank you! For a long time, most of my shots were from a Cessna 170. Lately, I've been shooting from a Cessna 182. For some of the faster planes, I shoot from an A-36 Bonanza.

I never shoot through a window! I simply refuse. I usually open the window on the 182 or 172, sometimes I remove the door. In the A-36, we always remove the rear doors. I've also shot from a Maule and you can remove the rear door and baggage door, which makes it really nice.

For the most part, I use my newest camera, the 1DX3 and my 70-200 lens for shots in the air, my other camera, 1DX2 for the ground shots. I will use the 1DX2 and the wider lens in the air if needed. It's always by my side. I also keep a backup 1DX1 and extra memory cards... always prepared for equipment failure even though I've never had one.

It comes down to a thorough briefing, waiting for the right weather, a lot of experience, and a good photo ship pilot that I trust. I've worked with the best at EAA and learned a lot from them.

I never shoot through a window! I simply refuse.

It makes a HUGE difference. Everything I shoot through my dusty, scratched, green-tinted windows means a ton of color correction and editing when I get home. And even then reflections ruin a lot of shots that looked good through the viewfinder.

DSC01284.jpeg

It comes down to a thorough briefing, waiting for the right weather, a lot of experience, and a good photo ship pilot that I trust. I've worked with the best at EAA and learned a lot from them.

Having been on the other end of one of Jack's air-to-air photo shoots, I can attest that he is the consummate professional.

Having been on the other end of one of Jack's air-to-air photo shoots, I can attest that he is the consummate professional.
Thank you!! I really enjoyed that trip and meeting everyone there. A lot of the fun is meeting people and seeing their planes!

Back