Air-to-Air AZ Cessna 172 Kath

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
As I've said a few times about this trip, the best part was the people. I saw old friends, made new friends. @kath was probably the most interesting by far! If you get a chance to meet her on her around-the-US tour, do it. She's taking a one year sabbatical from her job as a Physics Professor and I'm sure I only had time to hear a few of her stories! What an adventure!

49081233033_61f1280229_b.jpg

49081228088_41f665f36a_b.jpg

49081935117_152c699734_b.jpg

49081929292_0482b4b843_b.jpg

49081196593_819b11fd2b_b.jpg

49081718911_031d90222a_b.jpg

49081915477_b45fdeb17a_c.jpg

49081911392_b23a4194d5_b.jpg

49081153148_6410d75150_b.jpg

Yes, even the ubiquitous 172 comes out looking like a starlet with your lens Jack! I'm sure @kath will be pleased with how these turned out.

Sweet pics, Jack!

@kath what's up with the copilot window? And looks like there's landing/taxi lights in both wingtips and the nose?

@kath what's up with the copilot window? And looks like there's landing/taxi lights in both wingtips and the nose?

The copilot window has a "photographer's cutout thingy" in it, a little section that can open. Apparently it's cheaper than replacing the entire window/door with one that opens.

There are forward-facing "flasher" lights in the wingtips (in addition to the strobes and the nose taxi light), that can be operated as steady or flashing or alternating-flashing. For extra visibility.

The formation-flight experience was a new one for me... Spent the first pass down the canyon realizing how for this flight I had to "unlearn" everything about how pitch controls airspeed and throttle controls altitude. I'd never really practiced finesse-ing the throttle quite like that and getting a feel for the delay in acceleration or deceleration. Very educational, and thrilling! I can see how one could get better at it with practice. "Remember to breathe!" Jack said at one point, when I had indeed forgotten to.

So nice to see Becky the Beige Bullet have a moment of glory in the sun! ...And proving that regardless of the paint scheme or the dust or the bugs or whatever else, the *most beautiful* plane in the world is the one that you have the keys to. Thx Jack!!

Currently at ERAU in Prescott. Will be headed for Tucson next weekend, and then Texas sometime in December or (more likely) January.

Last edited:
The formation-flight experience was a new one for me... Spent the first pass down the canyon realizing how for this flight I had to "unlearn" everything about how pitch controls airspeed and throttle controls altitude. I'd never really practiced finesse-ing the throttle quite like that and getting a feel for the delay in acceleration or deceleration. Very educational, and thrilling! I can see how one could get better at it with practice. "Remember to breathe!" Jack said at one point, when I had indeed forgotten to.
You said it well, Kath! Jack did a very good job of briefing us on the ground before the shoot, but I wouldn’t want to be any closer without formal formation training. :eek:

Great looking plane and great photos.

@kath. If you end up in the Houston area I’ll buy lunch at KLBX or another local stop of your choosing.

Gary

Hey Jack,
Love your work but as a suggestion perhaps a shot of the pilot on the ground for each plane you photograph might be in order. Some people say a picture is a way to put a face with a name, but since this is POA, it’s a way to put a face with a plane.

Great pictures! (Did you clean the belly just for the photo shoot?)

Back