Air Force Space Planes

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
Air Force spaceplane returns to Earth after 780-day mission

"An unpiloted Air Force X-37B spaceplane, one of two winged orbiters used to carry out classified research, made a surprise landing at the Kennedy Space Center early Sunday to close out a record 780-day mission. It was the fifth flight in the secretive Orbital Test Vehicle (OTV) program, pushing total time aloft to 2,865 days."

Not much of a secret anymore now, I guess the cat is out of the bag....

My two favorite headlines
"We just learned of a secret...."
and
"If true, ...."

There's a whole HELL of a lot of stuff left in that bag....

Ron Wanttaja
Former bag occupier
I would HOPE so! I'm mainly interested in the technology, however. I had no idea that space planes were a reality.

The thing has been flying for the AF for 9 years. It’s no secret.

Is it self-launching, or does it require help to get into orbit?

Is it self-launching, or does it require help to get into orbit?
It's boosted. There's enough publicly available info on the vehicle itself to get a pretty good idea of how it's used and what it's capable of. The payloads? Not so much.

Nauga,
and the whale rider

It's boosted. There's enough publicly available info on the vehicle itself to get a pretty good idea of how it's used and what it's capable of. The payloads? Not so much.
The X-37's payload bay is about the size of a sheet of plywood, only a bit shorter. The depth is proportionately less.
the-x-37b-orbital-test-vehicle-landing-in-2012.png

It's not primarily intended to carry other satellites into orbit (although it certainly can), but there are a bunch of small payloads it can carry and use.

It's not man-rated, and obviously doesn't have a cockpit. Payload bay would probably be large enough to accept a human-sized capsule, and return the contents safely to Earth. But why? Pretty expensive flight, with no view and the need to buy something like a Delta to put you into orbit.
x37fb.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Whataya mean, ! hour?

It was up there over two YEARS, before it arrived at its destination! All the ice cream melted!

Back