air force medical

david0tey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fox-Three
I may have just accidentally talked myself out of a career in the military. I was talking to a recruiter over the phone and she wanted to make sure I was qualified. She asked me if I had any medical conditions such as asthma, etc, etc. I told her that I had sports induced asthma as a kid but it hadn't affected me in years. She then asked me when the last time I used my inhaler was. This is where I screwed up. In high school, my mom always made me take my inhaler if I got sick, even though it wasn't asthma related and I didn't need it. (That's what moms do...) When I told the recruiter this, she didn't really understand what I was saying, and assumed that if I used my inhaler 3 or 4 years ago, I couldn't make the case that asthma hadn't bothered me in years. Prior to this I had told her that I had my private and wanted to enter the flight program. Anyway, she essentially told me that I need to go to the doctor before I go see the recruiter. The thing that sucks is that she took down all my information, so I can't just pretend like this conversation never happened. They have it on record. Do I have a shot of making it in despite this? My asthma really is not a problem. I haven't had issues with it since I was about 10. I don't want to miss a chance to fly for free!?

Take with a grain of salt because I was in a different service:

I think you're at the bottom of the pile. If they want you, they will have to ge a waiver for you, pulmonary function studies, etc, and then if these are okay, you can be recruited. But now, somebody on the inside has to actively have a reason to want you.

I think you're at the bottom of the pile. If they want you, they will have to ge a waiver for you, pulmonary function studies, etc, and then if these are okay, you can be recruited. But now, somebody on the inside has to actively have a reason to want you.

Ok, now tell me what I want to hear. :sad:

I really wouldn't be concerned about the recruiter. I would get the physical done first though. That way if the Doc does find anything disqualifying you can stop right there. I don't know how the Air Force works it but in the Army the flight physical is only one small part of the process. Applications, transcripts, flight aptitude test, letters of recommendation, etc. like I said I'd schedule that physical first and make sure you get a copy of it for your packet. Good luck. :)

When I tried to get into the USAF in 1982, I had already had 2 knee surgeries, but I was told I needed to get a letter from my surgeon that all was well, and that would be OK. And it all turned out OK, except for that husky female airman at Offutt AFB Hospital who, at the conclusion of my day-long physical, wouldn't agree to seek a waiver because I was 1/4" too tall sitting height (i.e. trunk height sitting on a medical table.)

I understand pulmonary is a different bird.

I am a current Air Force Chief Flight Surgeon- here is the guidance from the latest version of AFI48-123, which are the medical standards:

6.44.16.1.9. Asthma of any degree, or a history of asthma, reactive airway disease,
intrinsic or extrinsic bronchial asthma, exercise-induced bronchospasm, or IgE
(Immunoglobulin E) mediated asthma

The above history is disqualifying. It might be possible to get a waiver, but would require an extensive evaluation by a pulmonologist (at your own expense).

So, your recruiter was correct. Dr. Chien was also correct- there are many applicants for flight training that do not require a waiver out there, and it takes a lot of work and effort on the part of the flight surgeon shop to submit all of the documents, write the actual waiver, submit up the channels, etc.

It is possible to get a waiver and proceed, but having a history of asthma makes it difficult. If you need to lie or fabricate your medical history just to try to get into the service, what does this say about some of the core values of integrity, etc?

However, it can be done with some persistence on your part. It comes down to how bad is your asthma (if you have it at all), and how much time and expense you want to go through to find out.

Good luck.

The recruiters know what questions to ask, to save both you and the military time and money.

I remember the lung capacity test? No issues for me.
I was lucky, I missed the max seating height limit by 1/4 inch.
When I got in the T-37 and had to put the seat all the way down with the flying helmet on, I knew why that was important. I still whacked the helmet on the canopy a few times.

I also entered service to fly in '82/'83, and retired 20 yrs later.

The recruiters know what questions to ask, to save both you and the military time and money.

I remember the lung capacity test? No issues for me.
I was lucky, I missed the max seating height limit by 1/4 inch.
When I got in the T-37 and had to put the seat all the way down with the flying helmet on, I knew why that was important. I still whacked the helmet on the canopy a few times.

I also entered service to fly in '82/'83, and retired 20 yrs later.

I spoke to a C-5 pilot who said that if I tried to get in 3 years earlier or 3 years later, I could have gotten in. The military was popular again in 1982 and I think they were flush with pilot candidates.

I had the flight physical when I was an undergraduate student in electrical engineering and learned that I was nearsighted. Bummer. I was grew up on various Air Force bases. My dream of becoming a military pilot ended at the MEPS.

I had the flight physical when I was an undergraduate student in electrical engineering and learned that I was nearsighted. Bummer. I was grew up on various Air Force bases. My dream of becoming a military pilot ended at the MEPS.

In the 70's I couldn't get a job on the railroad with my relatively minor nearsightedness. My dad was a conductor and even the family thing didn't help.

I convinced my PAS to let me take the Pilot's Aptitude Battery in ROTC and they came back and said that I had one of the best scores on record in the Det..
However, back in the 60's, my "kind" weren't welcomed for consideration of riding the seats in the cockpit (nor even the back end, for most situations, except as a pax); so we all have our problems.
(Talked to the Flt Surgeon at Westover about a physical and his remark was, "Don't call us. We'll call you.")

I convinced my PAS to let me take the Pilot's Aptitude Battery in ROTC and they came back and said that I had one of the best scores on record in the Det..
However, back in the 60's, my "kind" weren't welcomed for consideration of riding the seats in the cockpit (nor even the back end, for most situations, except as a pax); so we all have our problems.
(Talked to the Flt Surgeon at Westover about a physical and his remark was, "Don't call us. We'll call you.")

AFOQT, Pilot and Nav qualifying tests. Those were fun. Maxed all three. Fun tests? Yeah, I'm a geek (BSEE). What can I say?

AFOQT, Pilot and Nav qualifying tests. Those were fun. Maxed all three. Fun tests? Yeah, I'm a geek (BSEE). What can I say?

I didn't have a BSEE, but I thought the tests were easy and pretty straight forward. I had a BS in Aviation before the test and ATC experience. I have an MBA-Aviation now and 20 yrs AF, 15 of that flying.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back