Air Conditioner

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
PA-28-161 compressor was that a Ford 1964 to 1970 automotive unit that piper adapted to their own use?

Last edited:
PA-28-161 compressor was that a Ford 1964 to 1970 automotive unit that piper adapted to their own use?

The York 210?

york_compressor-1.jpg

The Cherokees used York compressors like the one in the photo. The newest Cherokee I worked on with AC was a 2012 model year aircraft and Piper was still using the York on those aircraft, despite using a Sanden compressor on other applications. The York was used by various auto manufacturers and also were commonly included in the aftermarket AC unfit kits that were for sale 40+ years ago, which is probably why Piper also used it.

The Cherokees used York compressors like the one in the photo. The newest Cherokee I worked on with AC was a 2012 model year aircraft and Piper was still using the York on those aircraft, despite using a Sanden compressor on other applications. The York was used by various auto manufacturers and also were commonly included in the aftermarket AC unfit kits that were for sale 40+ years ago, which is probably why Piper also used it.
Much like the one on a 1996 Freightliner FLD120 I had.

FWIW, I believe there are variations on this compressor style that look similar but are not the same. Make no assumptions if the idea is to start substituting parts.

FWIW, I believe there are variations on this compressor style that look similar but are not the same. Make no assumptions if the idea is to start substituting parts.

They have a stamped sheet metal tab held on by a head bolt that has the model and serial number on it. I can't imagine someone would buy repair parts when a rebuilt unit is less than a couple hundred dollars.

Of course the aviation model must be thousands.

They have a stamped sheet metal tab held on by a head bolt that has the model and serial number on it. I can't imagine someone would buy repair parts when a rebuilt unit is less than a couple hundred dollars.

Of course the aviation model must be thousands.

Some may have it and some may not depending on how many hands have been messing around with things. The one on the 2012 Archer I serviced only had an aftermarket manufacturer sticker on it if I remember right and it proved challenging to cross reference to something useful for service parts. My point was to not assume anything or try and go by an automotive application that looks the same, which seems like it might be what is happening with the original inquiry being as vague as it was.

I've had a number of these compressors apart for various reasons, including a couple of aircraft ones. I wouldn't waste my time with one on a car unless originality is a concern. There are better, lighter options. It's too bad Piper didn't pursue something different along the way.

Back