Air Chart Atlas - anyone use them?

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
As an IFR vagabond pilot (I fly three different club planes), I was thinking of ordering the Air Chart IFR and Eastern USA VFR books for my flight bag. I hate having to run to the FBO all the time to get charts, and electronic is not an option.

Anyone use them? Comments? How well does their update system work?

Bill Jennings said:
As an IFR vagabond pilot (I fly three different club planes), I was thinking of ordering the Air Chart IFR and Eastern USA VFR books for my flight bag. I hate having to run to the FBO all the time to get charts, and electronic is not an option.

Anyone use them? Comments? How well does their update system work?

I've been using them for years and my impression is mostly positive. You do have to check the updaters carefully, but it's pretty easy to catch the important stuff. I also usually print out any approaches that I plan to use if they've changed, but their website makes it easy to pick them out of the ones that haven't (or you can just use the updater). The system does leave you without any new approaches unless you download so their concept of checking for updates just prior to a flight or in the air isn't perfect, but overall I like the system. It's sure a lot easier than doing the Jepp updates and less expensive than any other option. I get the approaches for the entire country, the low enroute book and the two VFR sectional atlases.

lancefisher said:
I've been using them for years and my impression is mostly positive. You do have to check the updaters carefully, but it's pretty easy to catch the important stuff.
I'll second this.

I currently use the VFR atlases and plan to add the IFR charts to my subscription this spring when I start my IFR training.

I find it difficult to use the atlas format for cross-country planning as the format makes it difficult to see the whole picture, however the atlas format made cross-country flights less psychologically intimidating for me -- its easier to visualize flying to the edge of a small page than it is to fly all the way across a sectional.

Another thing to consider is how the atlas will fit into your cockpit. I flown with them in a Baron (55), a 172 and a 182 and found that it would sit comfortably on my lap, however I found the atlas a bit awkward to use in a DA-40 (could not find a good workable place to put it).

Bruce

cameronbm said:
I'll second this. I find it difficult to use the atlas format for cross-country planning as the format makes it difficult to see the whole picture

Good point. I use a computer program for virtually all my flight planning and the atlas format is indeed a poor choice for that. You can use a VFR planning chart along with the atlas though. One chart covers the entire US.

Thanks, guys, based on your positive reviews, I just ordered the IFR and eastern US sectional atlases. For plates, for a while I'll continue using AOPA to batch download plates of interest and print them on the high quality laser printer.

It will be very nice to have all the charts I need and keep them updated by computer without having to run to the FBO all the time.

lancefisher said:
Good point. I use a computer program for virtually all my flight planning and the atlas format is indeed a poor choice for that. You can use a VFR planning chart along with the atlas though. One chart covers the entire US.

When I first subscribed to Air Charts, they printed an atlas of the US WAC charts that was very helpful for flight planning. I went to computer flight planninng when the WAC atlas was discontinued, but have never found a program that was completely satisfactory -- there's something about drawing a route across a chart ... it just seems right (besides, its easier to find inspiration to go someplace new when using paper -- close your eyes and pick a random spot)

I'll have to go get that VFR planning chart.

Bruce

Mike Schneider said:
Bill, you may want to reconsider.

I may very well reconsider. I could get the entire eastern US for $170/yr, and whats that, 1.4hr 182 time? Money probably well spent.

I just got my renewal for the 3rd year, and I will buy it. For XC planning the computer programs are a lot better than trying to lay out sections on the floor. For inflight use I really like the atlas format compared with trying to fold up the chart in a way that is useful. That is equally true for the sectionals and the IFR enroute charts.

Not gonna renew my VFR atlas...the difference in color shades from "real" sectional charts means more heads-down time while navigating, which is something I don't like.

Just personal opinion.

Fly safe!

David

Back