Ah'v bin everywhere, man (C-141 wmv)

Cool video.

I got to fly on a C141A twice. Once to Europe. It was empty and we only had a few sling seats. To kill time we throw a football back and forth and even played a small game of touch football on our way to Torrejon.

The other time was from California. We had to stop in Phoenix. Upon landing we blew a hydraulic line. We waited and waited for a part. Finally with the summer afternoon heat climbing our AC had it capped off and off we went with now brakes on one of the wheel sets. he decided if we had kept waiting there was no runway long enough for us to take off. Where we were heading had a long enough runway for us to stop even without the brakes on the wheel truck.

It was a very comfortable plane. I liked my two flight better than the few I had on the C5. Which while big was always packed to the gills.

The C-141 was the largest military bird I got to fly on. That's one huge cargo cabin. It's hardly heated at all so unless you're on the upper deck or flight deck, you freeze your butt off.

A cousin of mine flew them, then transitioned to the C-17. Just gave up command of a C-17 squadron and is looking for an O-6 billet so he can pin on his eagles. When flying the C-141 he'd make the Antarctica runs out of NZ now and then. Wish I could have ridden along.

That must have been a C-17. The Air Force retired the last C-141s a couple of years ago.

I think some ANG units still operate them don't they? I'm pretty sure I saw one flying just a couple of weeks ago.

Back