AGI Knowledge Exam

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Out of those who have completed the advanced ground instructor knowledge exam, how many questions related to rotorcraft, gliders, or balloons did you see on the exam?

I ask out of curiosity because I know there are questions pertaining to these categories of aircraft in the AGI test bank, but heard they sometimes don't even appear on the test for some folks.

Thanks!

Out of those who have completed the advanced ground instructor knowledge exam, how many questions related to rotorcraft, gliders, or balloons did you see on the exam?

I ask out of curiosity because I know there are questions pertaining to these categories of aircraft in the AGI test bank, but heard they sometimes don't even appear on the test for some folks.

Thanks!
I don't remember any. If they were there, there weren't enough to in any way meaningfully affect the score.

Just took my AGI. The question bank seemed the same as the AFI, plus some extra stuff for 135 and 121 ops. Don't recall any glider, balloon or rotorcraft questions.

I don't remember any. If they were there, there weren't enough to in any way meaningfully affect the score.

Same answer for me. If there are any, it's not enough to worry about. Unless you're horribly unlucky :).

I'm going to take mine soon, but FWIW, on the IGI I recently took, there were zero of them...

Cool, thanks. Taking the IGI in a few weeks, followed by the AGI and FOI exams shortly after.

I noticed the IGI test bank includes a handful of rotorcraft questions, but I've reviewed those few that exist.

Does the AGI/IGI provide any advantage on the track to CFI & CFI-I ? Isn't only the FOI useable for xGI's & CFI/IIs ?

Does the AGI/IGI provide any advantage on the track to CFI & CFI-I ? Isn't only the FOI useable for xGI's & CFI/IIs ?

Not particularly, but it will give you a chance to instruct some before getting the CFIs. And if you want to get your Gold Seal, you'll have to have either an AGI or IGI too.

no i just took AGI and i dont remember anything about gliders rotorcraft or balloons.

I'm not really familiar with these certifications - do these things enable you to teach ground school? If so, do you need to be a CFI to get them? If, let's say, a 67 hr private pilot wants to teach ground school in his spare time, could he go get one of these certifications and then be immediately hireable? How would one go about getting these certifications?

PJ - the ground instructor certificates allow you to provide ground training and endorse people for knowledge tests. whether you have Basic, Advanced, or Instrument ground instructor determines what you can train. no pilot certificate is required. to get it take the written exam and fill out an 8710 and take to your local FSDO

So I can teach ground instruction in either a Part 61 or Part 141 environment? How much does this test cost? Is any instruction required to obtain this or just self-study followed by the written exam?

part 141 schools may have their own requirements to teach ground school, im not sure. but you could definitely teach under part 61 rules. There is a section towards the back of part 61 describing Ground instructor privileges and limitations, check it out. The only cost is the fee for taking the written, around here thats 80-90 bucks. You can certainly self study using online practice tests, etc as you would for other knowledge tests. some of the questions are a little tricky, but we could always hack through them on the board here :)

So I can teach ground instruction in either a Part 61 or Part 141 environment? How much does this test cost? Is any instruction required to obtain this or just self-study followed by the written exam?

Like Tony said, the 141 world could be totally different, but I did quite a bit of ground instruction (some through the school, some on my own) when I was a 100 hour private pilot. No sign off is needed for any of the tests, and instruction is only required if you're uncertain on something. The AGI/IGI tests cost the same as any other CATS/LaserGrade knowledge test, and as TC mentioned...you just take the test report and an 8710 to the FSDO and you're a ground instructor. You're free to give instruction and endorsements for PPL and CPL knowledge tests with the AGI, and IRA knowledge tests with the IGI (amongst other things). Scary, isn't it. :rofl::hairraise:

Last edited:
That's a really attractive thing... I'll have to talk to a couple of part 61 schools and see if they need people to teach on evenings/weekends and really look into getting that certification. Is there a progression I should follow or can I just go straight for the AGI (I'm assuming that's the highest)? Among the other benefits, I'm sure this will really help me learn the material for my more advanced ratings when that time comes. Actually, that gives rise to another question - is an AGI exempt from taking the CPL written?

That's a really attractive thing... I'll have to talk to a couple of part 61 schools and see if they need people to teach on evenings/weekends and really look into getting that certification. Is there a progression I should follow or can I just go straight for the AGI (I'm assuming that's the highest)?

Of the ground instructor ratings, there's Basic, Advanced, and Instrument. The BGI is completely pointless and not needed. Don't bother. Take the AGI, that'll let you do pretty much anything you'd want to. The IGI is good too.

is an AGI exempt from taking the CPL written?

Nope. You won't have to take the FOI again for your CFI (that's also required for the AGI/IGI (same cost as the other writtens, takes about 10-20 minutes tops; don't spend more than a day or two studying for the written), but otherwise it doesn't exempt you from any other written.

Like Tony said, the 141 world could be totally different, but I did quite a bit of ground instruction (some through the school, some on my own) when I was a 100 hour private pilot. No sign off is needed for any of the tests, and instruction is only required if you're uncertain on something. The AGI/IGI tests cost the same as any other CATS/LaserGrade knowledge test, and as TC mentioned...you just take the test report and an 8710 to the FSDO and you're a ground instructor. You're free to give instruction and endorsements for PPL and CPL knowledge tests with the AGI, and IRA knowledge tests with the IGI (amongst other things). Scary, isn't it. :rofl::hairraise:
AGI privileges:
A person who holds an advanced ground instructor rating is authorized to provide:
(1) Ground training in the aeronautical knowledge areas required for the issuance of any certificate or rating under this part;
(2) Ground training required for any flight review; and
(3) A recommendation for a knowledge test required for the issuance of any certificate under this part.

Now the way I read that is I can teach anything, but I can only recommend for certificates, not certificates and ratings, so an AGI cannot recommend someone for the IR written.

Now the way I read that is I can teach anything, but I can only recommend for certificates, not certificates and ratings, so an AGI cannot recommend someone for the IR written.

Ya, that's what I was saying, I think I just worded it poorly. AGI = PPL, CPL, BFR, etc; IGI = IRA, IPC, II, etc. The ground instructor can endorse for the written (first or retest) and for the ground instruction required for a rating, but cannot endorse for flight training or a practical.

It's weird that the AGI can TEACH the ground stuff for the instrument rating, but not endorse the applicant for the written.

So, $80-$90/test, and I'll need to take the FOI and the AGI exams. So, for less than $200 I can get these certs, which means that my first 10 hrs or so of teaching will basically be done for free... am I understanding this correctly?

I'm not really familiar with these certifications - do these things enable you to teach ground school? If so, do you need to be a CFI to get them? If, let's say, a 67 hr private pilot wants to teach ground school in his spare time, could he go get one of these certifications and then be immediately hireable? How would one go about getting these certifications?

Read 61.211...you do not need any kind of pilot certificate to become a ground instructor.

Bob Gardner

So, $80-$90/test, and I'll need to take the FOI and the AGI exams. So, for less than $200 I can get these certs, which means that my first 10 hrs or so of teaching will basically be done for free... am I understanding this correctly?

That's correct.

I'm taking the AGI and IGI back to back on Sunday, and then the FOI the following weekend. Though I can't bring the paperwork to the FSDO until I'm 18, the knowledge test reports will still be valid. I'm specifically interested in obtaining the certificates so I'll be able to legally teach and sign off folks for knowledge exams and I'll be eligible for the Gold Seal CFI in the future when I obtain my CFI & CFII. I've also heard from a few younger CFI/I's that having the certificates shortened their initial CFI oral by a little bit.

It's weird that the AGI can TEACH the ground stuff for the instrument rating, but not endorse the applicant for the written.
The typographical error that allowed this situation is being fixed in the Part 61 rewrite coming out next year, with no grandfathering (i.e., those GI's who earned the Advanced rating during that time but still lack the Instrument rating will not be allowed GI-I priviliges once the rule becomes effective). At that point, only those GI's with an Instrument rating will be allowed to:
  • give loggable ground training for IR and CFI-I,
  • teach approved IR/CFI-I ground schools,
  • give training in flight simulation devices, and
  • sign endorsements for IR knowledge (written) tests.

The typographical error that allowed this situation is being fixed in the Part 61 rewrite coming out next year, with no grandfathering (i.e., those GI's who earned the Advanced rating during that time but still lack the Instrument rating will not be allowed GI-I priviliges once the rule becomes effective). At that point, only those GI's with an Instrument rating will be allowed to:
  • give loggable ground training for IR and CFI-I,
  • teach approved IR/CFI-I ground schools,
  • give training in flight simulation devices, and
  • sign endorsements for IR knowledge (written) tests.
It always interested me that an IGI is allowed to teach a student in a flight simulation device. Other than the fact that there is no risk to life and limb (unless you trip :)), it would seem that the skills to teach there would be the same as in an aircraft. Of course as has been pointed out before, trying to apply logic to FAA rulings is a losing proposition!:rofl:

Thanks ! Does anyone of have a cite that you only have to take the FOI once ?

Thanks Captain, I didn't interpret 61.213(e) to mean that. However, once you have a GI certificate one doesn't have to re-take the exam. Unlike, if one is a IGI you still have to take the CFI-I exam.

Thanks Captain, I didn't interpret 61.213(e) to mean that. However, once you have a GI certificate one doesn't have to re-take the exam. Unlike, if one is a IGI you still have to take the CFI-I exam.

61.213(e) only excepts those holding GI certificates from taking the FOI exam again. If you have an AGI, you will still have to take the FIA exam to obtain a CFI. Same with the IGI, where you'd still need to take the FII exam to obtain a CFII.

Just as a frame of reference for those out there that plan on taking the test in the future, I didn't receive any "non-airplane" questions on either the IGI or AGI writtens this morning.

Passed the IGI and AGI with a 98% and 99% respectively. Thanks for all the help folks!

Kids these days....... with all their over-achieving antics and what-not..... it makes me sick, I tell ya'!!! ;)

Nice job, Jason!

Wow Jason, You just set the bar really high for me! I'm trying to get my AGI done, but school is getting in the way.

Great work! You're a smart cookie.

Ross

Thanks guys, my dad said something similar over lunch. He also blatantly admitted that over his 29 year/16,000 hour career in professional aviation, there's no way he'd be able to pass the current written exams. "No one uses that stuff anymore!"

Wow Jason, You just set the bar really high for me! I'm trying to get my AGI done, but school is getting in the way.

Great work! You're a smart cookie.

Ross

Thanks, I try my best. I just finished midterm exams this past week, so I scheduled the AGI and IGI writtens a few days afterward so while I'd still be in 'study/test' mode. The Gleim test prep books really helped. I'm sure you'll do great too.

Last edited:
Congrats & thanks for the input. I'll probably take the IGI & FII in the same day. Might as well strike while the iron is hot and the memories fresh.

Well, I just ordered the Gleim Books for the FOI and Flight/Ground Instructor Knowledge exam, so I thought I'd resurrect this thread. Wish me luck on studying for the AGI!

Well, I just ordered the Gleim Books for the FOI and Flight/Ground Instructor Knowledge exam, so I thought I'd resurrect this thread. Wish me luck on studying for the AGI!

Good luck! With the Gleim it wasn't hard at all. I finished the thing in under 30 minutes and still got a 99%.

Back