After 73 years.....

It's sad they were not able to identify the remains before his widow died last year.

It must be a difficult burden to bear when a loved one doesn't come home.

Not putting down this story, but just about every war has MIAs, still plenty from the VN area, occasionally they find one there. More recent wars I would guess have experienced fewer MIAs.

Not all who die overseas in wars are brought home. Even if positively identified. We have a number of cemeteries in Europe from WWI and WWII. Oftentimes the family tells the government to leave them in a cemetery "over there". I took a picture of one marker in the US Military Cemetery in Hamm, Luxembourg on Saturday. My mom's cousin. His parents said he was to stay there and not be brought home. BTW, the "famous" person buried in this cemetery is General George S. Patton, Jr. But the important one to my family is 1st Lt Theodor Weissich. 376th Infantry Regiment, 94th Infantry Division.

Not all who die overseas in wars are brought home. Even if positively identified. We have a number of cemeteries in Europe from WWI and WWII. Oftentimes the family tells the government to leave them in a cemetery "over there". I took a picture of one marker in the US Military Cemetery in Hamm, Luxembourg on Saturday. My mom's cousin. His parents said he was to stay there and not be brought home. BTW, the "famous" person buried in this cemetery is General George S. Patton, Jr. But the important one to my family is 1st Lt Theodor Weissich. 376th Infantry Regiment, 94th Infantry Division.

As well as many countries in the Pacific. Large one in the PI. I have an Uncle who is buried in France, KIA before I was born.

Large one in the PI

Something like 17,000 plus Americans buried there from WWII.

I'll be buried in the PI. On the island of Leyte, near the city of Tacloban, which has a little WWII history.

My MIL remembers being in school when the Japanese bombed the area, then 3 days latter she watched from the school yard as Japanese soldiers walked into town and took all the food they could find.

Something like 17,000 plus Americans buried there from WWII.

I'll be buried in the PI. On the island of Leyte, near the city of Tacloban, which has a little WWII history.

My MIL remembers being in school when the Japanese bombed the area, then 3 days latter she watched from the school yard as Japanese soldiers walked into town and took all the food they could find.

My Dad was stationed there in the mid 50s. There were still damaged buildings from the bombing. We lived in Manila at first and I could look down the street about a block or two and see bombed out buildings. Later we moved to Cark Air Base, and there was a very large WWII cemetery just beyond the main gate to the base. Still there and cared for from what I understand. One day they found a Japanese soldier in the jungle near the base, thinking the war was still going on. Guess this would have been in '57-58 maybe. Even had some interactions with the Negrito Pygmy tribe, who roamed the base with bow n arrows n blow guns.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negrito

Last edited:
Back