AeroVonics LLC - Glass panel..

The AV-30 is one to watch, fer sure.

Damn, at those prices, I can't see ever buying a mechanical instrument again, depending on what functions it could serve. Looks limited right now, but I could see it expanding significantly. (Long list, but most of the list is stuff that wouldn't replace primary instruments.) Doing an airspeed or altimeter or turn coordinator or VSI would only involve a software tweak and certification. Same for something like a G5, but I'm not spending $2500+ just to get replace any of those. But $600-$1600? Yeah, that suddenly makes a lot of sense.

Now if it it will drive a legacy AP such as the Piper or Century units, you can make some bucks....... guys who will buy this are those who don't want to spend 3k on a G5 or 10k on a new AP as well.

The AV-30 is one to watch, fer sure.
Oh I dunno. The $800 for an AV-20-S that gives you:
  • Clock
  • OAT
  • Volts
  • Engine timer
  • Flight timer
  • 2 count up or down timers
  • Density Altitude
  • TAS
  • Backup emergency AI
  • AoA
  • G-meter
...has my attention.

• Clock
  • OAT
  • Volts
  • Engine timer
  • Flight timer
  • Density Altitude
  • TAS
  • Backup emergency AI
  • AoA
  • G-meter
...has my attention.

Oh, I agree it's got a long list, but none of those are primary flight instruments. The bigger 30 has the potential to start displacing the G5 or other full-size primary instruments if the software is developed and certified for it.

I want an AV-20-S and an AV-30 for my C150. Why spend 50% of the cost of the entire airplane on digital bits when this new company can make certified stuff this affordable? And, if chosen correctly, this could totally eliminate the vaccum pump. ;)

I am not if I buy the probeless AOA, but for others, it does serve a lot of purpose

I like the round form factor. I agree, being able to drive an auto pilot like Unit74 said (dammit again) would be a great thing but I doubt that the price would remain at $1600. This would push it up close to the price for the Aspen E5, which will drive the Trutrak that I am planning to install and provide a heading bug.
I wonder if the AOA is good. I looked at the Aspen AOA and it has two indications, one for clean configuration and another for dirty.
Fortunately, the state of my wallet will give me plenty of time to come to a decision. That and I just replaced the vacuum pump.

Bump.

Anyone have any of these yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Clock
  • OAT
  • Volts
  • Engine timer
  • Flight timer
  • Density Altitude
  • TAS
  • Backup emergency AI
  • AoA
  • G-meter
...has my attention.

Wow. That would be a great replacement for the clock in my plane, and would be a great backup AI just in case. Doesn't look like it's been replaced just yet.

EDIT: My bad, according to their store page, the AV-20 is in stock and shipping.

Wow. That would be a great replacement for the clock in my plane, and would be a great backup AI just in case. Doesn't look like it's been replaced just yet.

EDIT: My bad, according to their store page, the AV-20 is in stock and shipping.

Just check your required equipment list to make sure you can replace the clock. ;)

Just check your required equipment list to make sure you can replace the clock. ;)

There seems to be some debate on whether or not the clock function contained within the GTN series of navigators satisfies the legal requirement for an installed clock. You can have it displayed as a data field, so you could theoretically have it displayed while using the box. AeroVonics says right on their page that, "We are working guidance on how to potentially replace a legacy, analog clock which may be considered a required instrument in some aircraft." I would install something like this. Seems to be good value for the money.

There seems to be some debate on whether or not the clock function contained within the GTN series of navigators satisfies the legal requirement for an installed clock. You can have it displayed as a data field, so you could theoretically have it displayed while using the box. AeroVonics says right on their page that, "We are working guidance on how to potentially replace a legacy, analog clock which may be considered a required instrument in some aircraft." I would install something like this. Seems to be good value for the money.

Copy that. Your response was exactly why I posted what I wrote in post #14. :)

I think the future of aviation is here. Finally something to replace the old steam gauges that doesn't cost more than the airplane. I know, G5's have been around for a while but we're finally getting to the point where this is comparable in cost and in my opinion, a far superior product to the 50-70 year old technology that we've been stuck with.

This is fantastic news and with the autopilot adapter it is a no brainer for my setup. This is probably 1/3 the cost of the Aspen setup I was going to need because my century 4 uses the AI and the DG.

I just hope I don’t need any repairs on my vac system components before the entire package is certified.

At this price I may even proactively update some components.

This is fantastic news and with the autopilot adapter it is a no brainer for my setup. This is probably 1/3 the cost of the Aspen setup I was going to need because my century 4 uses the AI and the DG.

I just hope I don’t need any repairs on my vac system components before the entire package is certified.

At this price I may even proactively update some components.

Better read it again... it doesn’t provide the AI outputs your Century needs...

Paul

Yes this is the graphic that had me excited as well since the AI and DG will talk to the autopilot.

This all makes sense as the CEO has the patent for the Aspen EFD.

I briefly looked at what it would take to output analog autopilot compatible attitude signals given a digital reference. It wasn't that technically difficult, even I could do it and I'm a lousy programmer and an even worse hardware designer. The killer is the certification requirements and the testing and the FAA.

The killer is the certification requirements and the testing and the FAA.

EGfX.gif

When I think glass panel, I think six pack replacement.
Tom

I know, me too. But this makes a lot of sense for airplanes that cost less than a full digi'pit. Like my Sierra. To make a full glass panel cost the same as my plane, I'll need Vref to put about 30% *more value into what a '74 B24R is to a buyer. In a quick talk with my favorite avionics installer, we penciled out on a napkin about 8AMU's for two AV-30's, an APA-10, and an AV-20. A bit more if I helped, and about the same price as the G5's it seems.

And, by the time this stuff gets all certified, maybe the capability will be even better. Who knows what competition and market forces will do!??! Exciting times to throw money into a 44 year old airplane! :)

You do know the Dynon STC applies to the Sierra, right?

You do know the Dynon STC applies to the Sierra, right?

All I see on their site is the 172 and the V35B is scheduled to be done in Q1 2019.

They used to have more on the time line, and I thought done, but now it's mostly TBA. Which is a shame. There are a lot of Mooney owners looking for this, as well as owners of other older planes.

I'm liking that -30. Could see swapping out my AI for it if I can configure what's on the screen. I already have most of the ancillary information on my MVP

But you’ll notice they need to keep the steam gauges. It’s nothing but a bigger G5.
When I hear glass panel, that’s all I want to see. Tom

That's my panel. I chose to keep the Static/Pitot airspeed and altimeter, and the vector based TruTrak ADI as back-ups. They are not required in the STC.

That's my panel. I chose to keep the Static/Pitot airspeed and altimeter, and the vector based TruTrak ADI as back-ups. They are not required in the STC.

Good info to know, how many hours did it take to install?

Tom

Good info to know, how many hours did it take to install?

According to the invoice I paid it was... Partially a joke, but I had the entire panel rebuilt, including more bracing. Threw away the old panel metal.

I do know the D10A which is also available goes in a standard panel hole. But I think it's slightly less capable.

Back