Aerospace Engineering schools?

Chip Sylverne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Quit with the negative waves, man.
My nephew is a brainiac. Don't where he gets it, but he's in a STEM magnet school in Virginia, first in his class. Look up science nerd, you'd see his picture.

He's a junior, and looking for top public schools to apply to on the east coast that have solid aerospace engineering programs. Currently on the list are MD, UVA, Penn State. Could go farther from home, but not sure Cal Poly is in the cards for his Mom's benefit.

What say you in the industry? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Georgia Tech is another east coast school he might want to consider.

http://www.mae.ncsu.edu/

My nephew is a brainiac. Don't where he gets it, but he's in a STEM magnet school in Virginia, first in his class. Look up science nerd, you'd see his picture.

He's a junior, and looking for top public schools to apply to on the east coast that have solid aerospace engineering programs. Currently on the list are MD, UVA, Penn State. Could go farther from home, but not sure Cal Poly is in the cards for his Mom's benefit.

Thanks.

Thanks.

University of Colorado, Boulder. It is in top 10 in Aerospace Engineering (at least for the graduate program, not sure on undergraduate). It's not on the east coast if that's a requirement, but not as far as the west coast.

One thing to consider is what area of aerospace is he might be interested in. Some schools tend more towards the space segment, while others are more aeronautical focused.

Texas A&M

I'm a University of Texas aero engineering grad, earned while pterodactyl strikes were a serious aviation challenge.

In my aero program the word "airplane" did not come up at all until my junior year, and only in my senior year was I really asked to apply all the math and physics my poor teachers tried to stuff in to my thick skull to solve a problem that actually involved an airplane.

On the last semester of my senior year I took what was my favorite college course, flight test. Our test article was something called a GAT-1 trainer. that was really an old analog link trainer with a blue fiberglass body that looked like a deformed C-150. I never, ever, was exposed to an actual airplane as a UT aerospace undergraduate! To be fair, they did give me a part time job in the hypersonic wind tunnel. That was way cool, because it was a literal steampunk machine made out of old destroyer air compressors and electrical power systems borrowed from Frankenstein's lab. Plumbing and eletrical explosions happened several times, much to my delight!

Disclaimer: I have no idea what UT's current aero program is like!

I do know something about what A&M's program is like, because I know a young man who recently graduated from it. He spent his senior year in a hanger full of weird airplanes at the College Station airport. He did a lot of real flight testing riding in a modified O-2 that was rigged for some kind of boundary layer control system. You may have seen this airplane, it's been to Oshkosh a few times.

I have to say, if the kid likes airplanes then I know for a fact that A&M's aero department has a hanger full of them, and the students are working on them and flying in them.

It's sad that the Aggie football team wasn't good enough to stay in our league, but I think the A&M aero department would be a great place for a kid interested in airplane engineering.

University of Colorado, Boulder. It is in top 10 in Aerospace Engineering (at least for the graduate program, not sure on undergraduate). It's not on the east coast if that's a requirement, but not as far as the west coast.

One thing to consider is what area of aerospace is he might be interested in. Some schools tend more towards the space segment, while others are more aeronautical focused.

I was just about to suggest CU too!

Trivia:
Remove the service academy grads from the entire history of US Astronauts, and more have graduated from CU than any other school.

More trivia:
CU is the control facility (think of it as tiny/junior JPL) for various satellites.

Aerospace engineers at work:

Scientists at NASA have developed a gun for the purpose of launching dead chickens. It is used to shoot a dead chicken at the windshield of airline jet, military jet, or the space shuttle, at that vehicle's maximum traveling velocity. The idea being, that it would simulate the frequent incidents of collisions with airborne fowl, and therefore determine if the windshields are strong enough to endure high-speed bird strikes.
British engineers, upon hearing of the gun, were eager to test it on the windshields of their new high-speed trains. However, upon firing the gun, the engineers watched in shock as the chicken shattered the windshield, smashed through the control console, snapped the engineer's backrest in two, and embedded itself into the back wall of the cabin.
Horrified and puzzled, the engineers sent NASA the results of the experiment, along with the designs of the windshield, and asked the NASA scientists for any suggestions.
The NASA scientists sent back a brief response: "Thaw the chicken."

USN&WR ranks the top three as:

1. MIT
  2. Georgia Tech
  3. Michigan (GO BLUE!)
Next three are Stanford, Illinois, and Purdue. For the full list, see here.

I'm a University of Texas aero engineering grad, earned while pterodactyl strikes were a serious aviation challenge.

Me too! '83

Our test article was something called a GAT-1 trainer. that was really an old analog link trainer with a blue fiberglass body that looked like a deformed C-150.

I remember that too.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what UT's current aero program is like!

Much more hands on I believe. Lots of opportunities to design/build/fly and get real world experience, not just the theory.

It's sad that the Aggie football team wasn't good enough to stay in our league,

No, not really

Before I read any other answers, my first thought was Penn St for "east coast" and Purdue for "a little further away."

:yeahthat:

Aerospace engineering, as a field of study, is sort of a Frankenstein monster, and different schools (or more specifically, faculty research interests and funding) tend to concentrate in selected sub-disciplines.

My sister is a Georgia Tech aerospace engineering grad. If he wants to be a helluva engineer, it is a great place to be.

I did a couple years at GT before transferring out (I'm *not* a helluva engineer). The male/female ratio there is still awful at 2:1, but much better than the ~8:1 when I was there 25 years ago...

Aerospace engineering is traditionally a very cyclical field for employment. He may want to consider mechanical or similar - or at least getting a MS in another engineering field to maintain good employment prospects.

Jeff

It's sad that the Aggie football team wasn't good enough to stay in our league,

Dem's fightin words, you t-sip!!! :lol:

But seriously, remind me to tell you about the tradition of the pits on the bottom band of the Aggie Ring and what it represents as they wear away.

I work for an aerospace company and there's an awful lot of engineers around here with Mississippi State decals on their truck. They have a great aerospace engineering program and reasonable tuition.

Dem's fightin words, you t-sip!!! :lol:

But seriously, remind me to tell you about the tradition of the pits on the bottom band of the Aggie Ring and what it represents as they wear away.

Well that was sort of the problem. UT thought it was "their
league"

Go Blue!

BSAE '80

USN&WR ranks the top three as:

1. MIT
  2. Georgia Tech
  3. Michigan (GO BLUE!)
Next three are Stanford, Illinois, and Purdue. For the full list, see here.

A third for Michigan! I'm currently an undergrad Aero major there. Feel free to PM with questions, and go blue!

:yeahthat:

Aerospace engineering, as a field of study, is sort of a Frankenstein monster, and different schools (or more specifically, faculty research interests and funding) tend to concentrate in selected sub-disciplines.

That's really for grad school as far as I can tell. In undergrad, the specialty of the department won't really show through. Now if you want to consider doing a sequential undergrad/grad degree, then it's something to consider.

Cannot beat Virginia Tech. Will be able to pay in state tuition as well.

Aerospace engineering is traditionally a very cyclical field for employment. He may want to consider mechanical or similar - or at least getting a MS in another engineering field to maintain good employment prospects.

Jeff
I graduated 30 years ago and that was the advice then. I worked in Aerospace for a period of time, but the bottom fell out. I have been out of it for nearly 20 years. It was boom or bust then, I don't know if it has changed much. I have found the key to remaining employed over the last 30 years is to learn transferable skills. You never know what is around the corner.
Good luck to the young grad.

Since it sounds like your nephew is going to TJ, I am surprised VT isn't at least on their list for quality/cost value due to in state tuition. Not sure what their Aero program is like though. I went through their computer engineering program some years back now.

Can always go to one of the higher ranked aero schools for grad work if that's what they end up still wanting to do.

Cannot beat Virginia Tech. Will be able to pay in state tuition as well.

Last edited:
I'd look at Purdue. One of my daughter's friends (we live in northern Virginia) went to Purdue on their AE program and Navy ROTC.

I see you are looking at UMD (College Park); I'm not an aero major so I can't say too much about the specifics but several friends who went through the program found pretty good jobs quickly after graduation.

this.....get a mechanical degree....not an aero.

BTW....go Terps. :D

UMD College Park BS & MS Aero grad here.....
My sister is a Georgia Tech aerospace engineering grad. If he wants to be a helluva engineer, it is a great place to be.

I did a couple years at GT before transferring out (I'm *not* a helluva engineer). The male/female ratio there is still awful at 2:1, but much better than the ~8:1 when I was there 25 years ago...

Jeff

Remove the service academy grads from the entire history of US Astronauts, and more have graduated from CU than any other school.
Purdue and MIT both make a similar claim. I expect there are qualifiers ;)

Nauga,
from where George Washington once slept.

I really miss the Turkey Day game that alternated between Austin & College Station. Even the sports announcers claim it was one of the all-time great rivalries.

*sigh*

Aerospace engineers at work:

Scientists at NASA have developed a gun for the purpose of launching dead chickens. It is used to shoot a dead chicken at the windshield of airline jet, military jet, or the space shuttle, at that vehicle's maximum traveling velocity. The idea being, that it would simulate the frequent incidents of collisions with airborne fowl, and therefore determine if the windshields are strong enough to endure high-speed bird strikes.
British engineers, upon hearing of the gun, were eager to test it on the windshields of their new high-speed trains. However, upon firing the gun, the engineers watched in shock as the chicken shattered the windshield, smashed through the control console, snapped the engineer's backrest in two, and embedded itself into the back wall of the cabin.
Horrified and puzzled, the engineers sent NASA the results of the experiment, along with the designs of the windshield, and asked the NASA scientists for any suggestions.
The NASA scientists sent back a brief response: "Thaw the chicken."
Wasn't this originally an Aggie story?

(*snorfle*)

I really miss the Turkey Day game that alternated between Austin & College Station. Even the sports announcers claim it was one of the all-time great rivalries.

*sigh*

Me too... Too often it appears the new tradition in Aggieland is someone messing with the long standing and loved traditions.

Wasn't this originally an Aggie story?

(*snorfle*)

No worse than the Aggie project to send men to a close solar orbit. When asked how the crew would be protected from the heat and radiation, the team leader responded, "we are going at night"

Another Aggie Aero grad here. There are lots of rankings out there, and A&M's Aero department has ranked highly in many of them over the years FWIW. (I don't put a lot of stock in most of these sorts of rankings. College is more what the student makes of it so long as an established, accredited school is chosen!)

My advice is to decide things like public vs. private, large school vs. small school, location (big city vs. small city), etc. and then go from there. I've worked with grads from A&M, Texas, Purdue, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Iowa State, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, KU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State (mechanicals, not aeros), and surely others that don't come to mind. You can get a good education at any of these places IMO.

What sets schools apart for individuals depends on the interests, both academic and extra-curricular, of the individual student. I'm an airplane geek (duh!) and A&M offered some great opportunities with flying aircraft in addition to the traditional classroom and lab work. It was an absolute BARGAIN cost-wise compared to any other option as well. A male to female ratio of 1:1 or 1:1.1 while I was there was nice compared to many other engineering schools. There was a huge student body with 700+ student organizations for every extra-curricular interest under the sun. It was in a medium-sized town that revolved around the university, so there weren't all the big-city hassles (or opportunities). It worked great for me.

The student should consider *why* he wants to go aero... such as for airplanes (like me) or space and then look at each schools current research activities. While that points more to grad work, often times the research areas will trickle down to undergrad classes as well and if you're an airplane geek like me, you'll tire of studying orbital mechanics very quickly. ;) Or vice-versa. Knowing there was a Flight Test lab at A&M (run by the guy that wrote the flight test engineering textbook!) was nice to know, in addition to a thriving flying club that offered great experience and leadership opportunities for me.

The industry is still cyclical, but there are a lot of new programs going in the aircraft side. Commercial space is also going well. All signs point to shortages of all engineers nationally, so I encourage anyone to strongly consider engineering... we need more!

Back