Aero Engineering manuals form the 1930s

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
My brother in law died a few years back, he was a military pilot back in the 1950s. Anyway, a real aviation and war buff. My niece sent me four boxes of his old books from Canada, mostly paperback and coffee table books. I love reading these old books primarily because they are not the formula writing of today, you can not figure out the whole book by reading the first few pages.

Anyway, I just now came across three heavy volumes of hardback books, 2.625" thick titled "AERO ENGINEERING" volumes one through three. There are no dates on these volumes, but from the photographs and illustrations, my guess is the middle or early 1930s. They were printed in London.

The seem to cover every single detail of aircraft manufacturing and maintenance. From selecting the right trees for the structures, coverings, and engines, all mechanics of most aircraft of the period. There is still another box I have not opened so there might be additional volumes.

These books look like they would be a goldmine for anyone involved in antique aircraft.

Now I'm wondering if they might also be somewhat of a goldmine for myself, now that I'm retired and could use some extra cash.

So, is there a market for such things?

-John

If you can't find a private buyer, try contacting some of the larger aviation museums out there -- they may be willing to buy.

I say you have a Diamond in the rough........

After watching Antique Roadshow on PBS a few times, I am amazed at the value of some obscure items...:hairraise::yesnod:

I checked the last box and there are no more volumes from that set. There is a hardback book from 1939 on aircraft maintenance. Also a small paperback from 1966 on flight instruction, it's Canadian eh.

-John

I think you'll find they are of great historic value - and very little cash value. I own a couple of first eds and unless it's a copy of Jane Eyre, or something an English collector would want, old books are basically just old books.

The market for old volumes without publication marks is very narrow, and although might be of interest, I don't think they will translate into ready cash.

Anyway, I just now came across three heavy volumes of hardback books, 2.625" thick titled "AERO ENGINEERING" volumes one through three. There are no dates on these volumes, but from the photographs and illustrations, my guess is the middle or early 1930s. They were printed in London.

-John
I would love to have those books, have you settled on a price?

I would love to have those books, have you settled on a price?

I just discovered them a few hours ago, I have no idea of their worth, I do know that they would be invaluable resources to mechanics and restorers.

The detail going into each aircraft covered is incredible. Had you the tools, you could probably build anyone of them from scratch, including the engines from the information and photos. I think. All I have done so far is flip through them looking for a date. Anyway, I think these volumes would be a mechanics or restorers wet dream.

I do not know how to price these but have already received a good offer for them. I have no intentions of revealing what the offer was or any future offers I may get. I hate selling such things, it's almost as bad as burning them, but......SS is not all that much.

However I dispose of them, it will be ethical, money or not. If I were a mechanic, this would not even be out here. Each one has been forwarded by an RAF Flight Leader. I'll dig them out again tomorrow and post that info. I'll try to scan some of the pages and post those.

-John

Can you tell us the author or publisher? pictures?

These were from my scanner. jpg files at 600dpi. you can enlarge them as much as you want. There is some old foxing spots (mold) that is dormant. It is only on the exterior edges of the pages. All volumes are completely intact, no missing or damaged pages. If you are concerned about the foxing, all you have to do is set them outside in the sun for a few hours. It will not remove the spots but will kill any active spores, if there are any. Active spores show up as black spots, not light brown like these are.

-John

Attachments

• Aero Engineering.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 39
  • Aero Engineering 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • Aero Engineering 2.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 35
  • Aero Engineering 3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I have some copies of Aero Engineering published by George Newnes in the UK pre WW2. There were 32 weekly installments, and each one had a specification sheet for a current aircraft. The photos shown appear to be bound copies of these magazines. Mine are unbound and showing signs of age (like me!) but still make interesting reading. I acquired these as a gift about fifty years ago! Also have some copies of Aero Digest from the late 30's early 40's, a US publication that covers the then state of the industry and carries ads for airplanes. An article I recall is on the introduction of the Aircoupe.

Hmmmmm...

The mystery is building....:yes:..

John might have 50 bucks worth of old books...............

And then again, he might have a million dollars worth of old books.......

I can't wait to see the actual value...:)

These were from my scanner. jpg files at 600dpi. you can enlarge them as much as you want. There is some old foxing spots (mold) that is dormant. It is only on the exterior edges of the pages. All volumes are completely intact, no missing or damaged pages. If you are concerned about the foxing, all you have to do is set them outside in the sun for a few hours. It will not remove the spots but will kill any active spores, if there are any. Active spores show up as black spots, not light brown like these are.

-John

Not a whole lot of value there, except if some one really wanted them.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_ath...t=WING+COMMANDER+H.+NELSON&sort=relevancerank

Ha.....

That is what they say about Rembrants and Picasso's

Have you ever seen any of those for sale on Amizon?

I don't know how to grade books but….

Quite frankly... I have NEVER been on Amazon...:no::nonod:

Amazon lists them ,, but have none in stock so what do we think about that ?
Is there that big of a demand for them or are they that rare?

I didn't think to check Amazon, that was a good idea. Based on what I can see there, a volume is worth about $15-50.

http://www.amazon.com/AERO-ENGINEER...=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378687162&sr=1-7

I think the way Amazon works on out of stock, is you can put in an order for any book that they have ever had a request, or had a sale on. If one comes along, they will notify you. I've never tried to get an out of print or out of stock book, but I recall you can request one if they come on the market.

These are a complete set, and considering their age, in better than excellent condition.

-John

If I were trying to get those books in good hands, I'd would inform the vintage aircraft type clubs that they are for sale at the best offer before a certain date.

If I were trying to get those books in good hands, I'd would inform the vintage aircraft type clubs that they are for sale at the best offer before a certain date.

It might just be an issue of getting them in the right hands, I'm still torn about selling them. I know I could use the money, but something just does not feel right about it to me. I'm not used to being low income, and hopefully it is only temporary.

I have one of these set up in my garage that I am slowly learning to use and hope to be making salable products sometime near the end of the year.

http://www.lagunatools.com/cnc/Swift-CNC-Router_6 It will do wood carving in even the hardest of woods down to 1000th of an inch in detail. The Aspire operation program has a bit of a learning curve. I'm having fun learning how to use it, so even if I never make salable product, it gives me something to do.

So far, it's just a hobby. It came to a halt when a friend gave me nine old hand planes covered in rust, they had been sitting outside for several years. I have been removing rust and grime and discovering some very beautiful old tools for the last couple of weeks instead of working on learning the Aspire program.

I love being retired, no particular rush to get anything done, just do what I feel like doing. I don't love being flat broke all the time, but am becoming accustomed to it. That also might be why I am dawdling on getting my machine going, I might be afraid of having another business on my hands, I haven't figured it out yet.

-John

I have one of these set up in my garage that I am slowly learning to use and hope to be making salable products sometime near the end of the year.

http://www.lagunatools.com/cnc/Swift-CNC-Router_6 It will do wood carving in even the hardest of woods down to 1000th of an inch in detail. The Aspire operation program has a bit of a learning curve. I'm having fun learning how to use it, so even if I never make salable product, it gives me something to do.

I'm VERY jealous! Let me know when you get proficient with it! I may try to throw some money at you to CNC some of my designs for a side business I have. :yes:

No idea on value, but the technical library here at work actually has exactly this set on the shelf (according to the online catalog). It states the date as [1938?] and shows that the 3 volumes do comprise a complete set. Here's the entry (sorry the formatting didn't quite copy over):

TitleAero engineering; a comprehensive work for those engaged in the production, assembly, testing, maintenance, and overhaul of aircraft. Advisory editor: Squadron-Leader H. Nelson.ImprintLondon, G. Newnes limited [1938?]

Location Call No. Status Books TL671 .A26 Charts ON SHELF Books TL671 .A26 v.1 ON SHELF Books TL671 .A26 v.1 ON SHELF

Description3 v. in 6. illus., tables, diagrs., forms. and portfolio of 50 fold. pl. 23 cm.NoteContributions by various authors.ContentsI. Principles and construction. - II. Production. - III. Maintenance and overhaul.I. Principles and construction. - II. Production. - III. Maintenance and overhaul.SubjectAirplanes -- Design and construction Airplanes -- Maintenance and repair. Added AuthorNelson, Hugh, 1890- ed.

I'm VERY jealous! Let me know when you get proficient with it! I may try to throw some money at you to CNC some of my designs for a side business I have. :yes:

I had to do something with the money from selling my airplane, otherwise I would have just p*ssed it away on important stuff. Send me an e-mail of what your making. I'll pm my e-mail address.

-John

If your in a generous mood, I'm sure an aviation college program would love the donation.

Nice find! Donate them to the EAA Museum, or ask the Smithsonian if they already have a copy. They'll be well cared for and properly preserved.

Back