Aero Accessories Replacement Coils for Slicks

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Anyone have experience replacing the Slick coil part # M3975 (for 43XX & 63XX slick mags) with part # A-13009? The FAA approved PMA data doesn’t show it a replacement for the M3975 but every sales type applicability sheet does.
See the following pictures….

Those are plain old uninsulated crimp terminals that look like they've been soldered AND crimped. Why not just get some terminals, shorten the wire appropriately, and crimp on a new terminal?

Jim

Those are plain old uninsulated crimp terminals that look like they've been soldered AND crimped. Why not just get some terminals, shorten the wire appropriately, and crimp on a new terminal?

Jim

Don't see why you couldn't.

TCM allows replacement of terminals, repair of coil tabs and all kinds of other stuff that Slick doesn't mention.

When the accident investigation team asks you why you did that, what will you tell them?

"In my professional opinion as a certificated mechanic and designated IA, the assembly as provided was not as safe as the minor modification I performed to make it safe. Coiled wire and parts touching other parts was not a completely safe condition."

Jim

I learned a long time ago mags aren't worth playing with unless you can bench test them and have the current publications.

Too much liability from my perspective.

I learned a long time ago mags aren't worth playing with unless you can bench test them and have the current publications.

Too much liability from my perspective.:hairraise:

"In my professional opinion as a certificated mechanic and designated IA, the assembly as provided was not as safe as the minor modification I performed to make it safe. Coiled wire and parts touching other parts was not a completely safe condition."

Jim

Send in the maintenance difficulty report and refuse to place your certificate on the line.

Send in the maintenance difficulty report and refuse to place your certificate on the line.

One of my pet peeves is the lack of any sort of installation data from aftermarket PMA parts manufacturers. Often they say, “Reference OEM manual” or similar BS, even for applicability. The OEM manual will tell you SQUAT.

In this case the only thing that says this Aero Accessories / Tempest coil is a replacement for the Slick M3975 coil is this NON-FAA approved BS chart written by Joe Blow. No PMA data is available on either Aero Accessories or Tempest website. It also appears the PMA holder hasn't update anything with the FAA since 1988 per the data on the FAA website.

They can't even get the part number correct on the website.

Web shows A13009

PMA says and the part is marked A-13009.

Well, we know you are an outlaw, Jim.

And I know that in any investigation, if those wires were competently shortened and refastened to eliminate chafe or vibration cracking, the typical FAA/DOT investigator would not even notice the difference unless led by the nose to a picture book. Actually, the PMA wire with the sharply bent strands at the terminal does not meet acceptable methods and standards, so the Outlaw is right again, as usual.

cheers

Too much liability from my perspective.:hairraise:
Both of which are not to difficult to achieve.

Brian just curious if you have called them. Do you see a benefit to using this one over the OEM? Price? IDK I have never seen them before

Both of which are not to difficult to achieve.

Brian just curious if you have called them. Do you see a benefit to using this one over the OEM? Price? IDK I have never seen them before

They are about $190 vs $300+... They haven't been very helpful yet.

Well, we know you are an outlaw, Jim.

Nope, I just read the FARs with an eye to exactly what it says instead of all y'all's nitpicking reading in what it does NOT say.

Besides, if marriage is ever outlawed, only outlaws will have inlaws. :goofy:

Jim

Last edited:
Back