Aera 660 Database Question

jpflysdfw

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JpFlys-DFW
I've been eyeing the 660 as an option to mount airgizmo or other) on my panel for better sunlight readability over iPad. I understood the database updates (North America) were $149/yr but recently read somewhere that they are actually $149/cycle with approx 6 cycles per year. The Garmin site doesn't explicitly whether it's an annual or cycle cost. I would appreciate any insight into the the facts as if it's the latter, a single years update is more than buying the new 660. Jeff

I've been eyeing the 660 as an option to mount airgizmo or other) on my panel for better sunlight readability over iPad. I understood the database updates (North America) were $149/yr but recently read somewhere that they are actually $149/cycle with approx 6 cycles per year. The Garmin site doesn't explicitly whether it's an annual or cycle cost. I would appreciate any insight into the the facts as if it's the latter, a single years update is more than buying the new 660. Jeff

Gotta be $149 a year for the basic. There are a lot more cycles than 6 BTW, some are every 28 days.

Garmin rep posts

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=135203&highlight=660+database

New Database Bundles Available for the aera 660

US Database Bundle
$149.95/yr ($12.50/mo)
Includes the following 7 databases covering Alaska and the Continental U.S., updated as often as you like:
  • Garmin Navigation Data (airports, runways, frequencies, approaches)
  • Obstacles (e.g. towers - used to provide obstacle visual and aural alerting including obstacle depiction in synthetic vision)
  • Terrain (used to render synthetic vision and provide terrain alerting)
  • FliteCharts (Geo-referenced IFR approach plates, airport diagrams, arrival and departure procedures)
  • SafeTaxi (airport diagrams integrated into moving map that are displayed and zoomed automatically when you need them for taxi and landing)
  • Airport Directory (FBOs, runways, hours of operation, rental cars, fuel prices, etc)
  • IFR/VFR Charts (VFR sectionals and IFR Hi/Lo charts)
North America Database Bundle $199.95/yr ($16.66/mo)
Includes the following 7 databases covering Canada, Alaska, and the Continental U.S. (see details on FlyGarmin), updated as often as you like:
  • Garmin Navigation Data (airports, runways, frequencies, approaches)
  • Obstacles (e.g. towers - used to provide obstacle visual and aural alerting including obstacle depiction in synthetic vision)
  • FliteCharts (Geo-referenced IFR approach plates, airport diagrams, arrival and departure procedures)
  • SafeTaxi (airport diagrams integrated into moving map that are displayed and zoomed automatically when you need them for taxi and landing)
  • Airport Directory (FBOs, runways, hours of operation, rental cars, etc)
Americas Database Bundle $299.95/yr ($25.00/mo)
Includes the following 7 databases covering North and South America (see details on FlyGarmin), updated as often as you like:
  • Jeppesen Navigation Data (airports, runways, frequencies, approaches)
Europe Database Bundle $299.95/yr ($25.00/mo)
Includes the following 7 databases covering Europe (see details on FlyGarmin), updated as often as you like:
  • Jeppesen Navigation Data (airports, runways, frequencies, approaches)
  • European Basemap Enhancements with additional surface detail

Gotta be $149 a year for the basic. There are a lot more cycles than 6 BTW, some are every 28 days.
Thanks and yeah I thought it odd that it was a different cycle time than my ForeFlight updates. I went back and looked at where I got that and realized it was 56 days for airport directory updates. That will teach me to read Vs "scan"!

Back