Aeorosol Fire extinguisher?

Tokirbymd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tokirbymd
Anyone ever put in a Tundra fire extinguisher aerosol spray can in their airplane? Claims up to 30min of use compared to 5 min with traditional fire extinguishers. Smaller form factor and easier activation with simple spray button seems attractive.

I couldn’t find an A:B:C rating, so I can’t compare effectiveness. I also was not able to find an ingredient list, so I don’t know about corrosiveness.

This is what I have.

13-01993a.jpg

The Tundra product is intended for home use, and leaves a foam residue. There are no easily identifiable ingredients from the product brochures, so there is no way to know if this product is safe for use in an enclosed environment such as an aircraft cockpit. The MSDS refers to the active ingredient as FA101X, whose chemical structure is protected by "trade secret." All that can be deciphered is that it is apparently a water soluble alkaline liquid or solid. A quick literature search of fire-suppresive alkaline materials reveals substances like poly-fluroalkylsulfonamido amines. These are not things you likely want to inhale in a closed space.

In addition, there is no pressure gauge on the unit, so there is no way of knowing if the unit is depleted or ready for use. The recommended cockpit fire extinguisher is a Halon unit which is highly effective at interrupting combustion without creating an asphyxiation risk in an enclosed space. I carry a small Halon unit in my cockpit. I suggest you do likewise.

Anyone ever put in a Tundra fire extinguisher aerosol spray can in their airplane?
FWIW: Haven't seen that one installed but have seen other non-aviation types installed. If it were me, I would stick to the tried/true/vetted/approved on certain equipment in your aircraft. That way you wouldn't have to figure out any repercussions of its use as mentioned above. For best recommendation check AC 20-42D.

Last edited:
The ONLY type of fire extinguisher to have in the plane is halon or one of the new halon replacements. Do not use a powder-based extinguisher. It sticks to the plexiglass and you're blind. If the extinguisher leaves a residue, the plane may survive the fire, but may be totaled by residual residue.

I couldn’t find an A:B:C rating, so I can’t compare effectiveness. I also was not able to find an ingredient list, so I don’t know about corrosiveness.

The fact that it carries no official rating tells it all. Even a bottle of water can put out a fire in a pinch, but that doesn't make it a fire extinguisher.

Back