Advising ATC of a HotAir Balloon in the Area.

anumerick

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Allen
Today on my way into work this morning I spotted a beautiful looking Hot Air Ballon at my 2 o'clock 7 miles @ 3500 to 4000 MSL. (Ground elevation is about 1000MSL).

This morning the sector was dead, so during my flight I called Detroit Approach and Advised them of the Balloon in the Area. I recieved a standard response of "Roger that".

So I started to wonder if Detroit actualy cares about objects in the sky like this.

About 5 minutes later (and having a ground speed of 155knots) Detroit calls me up and says "Be advised and for your amusement traffic at your 10 o'clock, 5000 desending to 4000, is a A320 and will be turning to the east. (I'm west bound). The seperation was about 1000' above me and 1/2 mile to my side.

Question: Does ATC appreicate calls (such as I did) about Hot Air Balloons? Again the sector was dead this morning with little to no traffic.

Thanks,
-Allen

Oh yes, the A320 was kewl to look at. :)

Last edited:
"Any hot air balloons in the area, please advise." LOL!

155 knots GA? Must be a Tiger and not a Cheetah in your avatar.

Anthony said:

No, No, it was the Balloon at 155kts

Anthony said:

It's a AA5-A Cheetah! My cruise was at 112 this morning. I have a real nice tail wind. However I have to go back home at 5pm, and the winds haven't appeared to change direction. :(

As an Air Traffic Contoller @ Chicago Center, we appreciate traffic information on hot air balloons and/or even a handful of helium balloons lost from a kids birthday party or the circus. I'm sure the controller at Detroit Approach appreciated your call; however, didn't articulate it well. Believe me, internally the Controller was advising other controllers of surrounding sectors or adjacent facilites of the balloons.

anumerick said:
It's a AA5-A Cheetah! My cruise was at 112 this morning. I have a real nice tail wind. However I have to go back home at 5pm, and the winds haven't appeared to change direction. :(

Funny how that works. My Tiger has a habit of finding the headwinds both ways. :rolleyes:

CardinalTom said:
As an Air Traffic Contoller @ Chicago Center, we appreciate traffic information on hot air balloons and/or even a handful of helium balloons lost from a kids birthday party or the circus. I'm sure the controller at Detroit Approach appreciated your call; however, didn't articulate it well. Believe me, internally the Controller was advising other controllers of surrounding sectors or adjacent facilites of the balloons.

Tom,

I see HABs inside the 30NM mode C ring launching out of Fox River Grove all the time. Do those balloons have to have a transponder?

Hot Air Balloons can launch inside of a 30 nm Class B ring; however, there are numerous glidelines to be followed. Publications such as the AIM, FAR's and CFR's outline the proceedures and/or requirements.

CardinalTom said:
Hot Air Balloons can launch inside of a 30 nm Class B ring; however, there are numerous glidelines to be followed. Publications such as the AIM, FAR's and CFR's outline the proceedures and/or requirements.

I was kind of wondering about that too... I saw a balloon inside Madison's Class C. They asked if I had the towers (2 big TV towers) in sight, and I responded "Affirmative, and I have the balloon in sight as well." They didn't appear to have any clue that it was there, either via radio, transponder, or primary target. That kinda surprised me. They did ask me for position and approximate altitude and thanked me for the info.

Balloon.jpg

Thanks for the info. I'll keep advising ATC of any HAB activity I find.

Thanks again!
-Allen

Saw this today under O'Hare's Class B.

ATC knew something was there but did not know what it was until I id'd it for them

Last edited:
Well, guess what? Thanks to this thread I was able to help out ATC. At 5,000' coming up on Solberg VORTAC in NJ, I saw at least 8 hot air ballons up and more launching. One had to be close to 4,000'.
I told the NY Approach controller that was working me about these ballons. He was very appreciative, and I heard him advising others after my call.
I never would have done this without this thread. Cool.

What's harder to avoid a ballon or a glider? :rofl:

(Sorry Tony) :)

smigaldi said:
Saw this today under O'Hare's Class B.

ATC knew something was there but did not know what it was until I id'd it for them

That blimp is usually parked at DPA and the tower is always giving everyone a heads up about its location. Surprised they don't coordinate with ORD.

flyingcheesehead said:
They didn't appear to have any clue that it was there, either via radio, transponder, or primary target. That kinda surprised me.

So, ATC types... What can you see when there's a balloon in the air? Anything? :dunno:

Still somewhat confused,

Anthony said:
What's harder to avoid a ballon or a glider? :rofl:

(Sorry Tony) :)

actually i would probably say glider cause its pretty darn hard to miss a balloon, but seeing my itty bitty glider could be tricky until you are about to run me over. the good thing for me is that I should be able to HEAR you coming :)

flyingcheesehead said:
So, ATC types... What can you see when there's a balloon in the air? Anything? :dunno:

Still somewhat confused,

Good Question! It depends on numerous conditions such as the type radar, speed of object, type of object and altitude. If the object has a transponder it gives ATC a better possibility of tracking it.

Back