Advice

So,

Would you let your spouse fly with this guy, without question?
Kids?
Parents?
Cousins/Nephews?
Close Friends?
People you had met at the airport?
Other people you knew?
POA members?

At some point, you are more concerned than elsewhere. If it is that bad, just treat is as if your close relations where involved, or at least your good friends.

From the ALPA HIMS web site:

Chemical dependency is a chronic condition, meaning that it is permanent and prone to relapse. It is also primary, meaning it exists independently and is not secondary to some other underlying mental illness. And, it is progressive, meaning it gets worse over time.
This guy's problem isn't going to get better without effort on his part and most likely professional help. And he won't make the effort or get the help because he likes what he's doing. So an intervention is needed. HIMS seeks to provide medical assistance to pilots suffering from the disease of Chemical Dependency with dignity and confidentiality.
It's your decision

The first step in getting help is recognizing there is a problem. Confidentially discussing your situation with a knowledgeable person is a great way to get started. This discussion will help you clearly define the issues and the available options.
There are several confidential resources available to assist you:

• Use the Pilot Referral Info Section Pilot Referral Info section of this website to contact your company’s HIMS representative.
  • ALPA members can also access information through the http://www.alpa.org website. Log in and refer to your airline’s HIMS committee roster for contact information. Or, log in, click on “Committees,” click on “HIMS” in the Pilot Assistance section, and click on the photo to send an email to HIMS.
  • Contact an expert aeromedical physician at Aviation Medicine Advisory Service (720) 857-6117, Monday-Friday 0830-1600 MT
Regardless of whom you contact, it’s important to actively seek help for yourself or someone you care about
List of Airline HIMS contacts: http://www.himsprogram.com/Content/PilotReferral

cliffs:
- You know this guy has a problem.
- The pilot refuses to change on his own.
- The pilot is placing himself and his passengers in danger.
- The Air Line Pilots Association union has set up the Human Intervention Motivation Study (HIMS) to help pilots with substance abuse problems save their careers and get the help they need.
- It's your call. Don't wait until someone gets hurt.

Last edited:
ok. got the corp part 91 thing. call the corp, ask to speak to their counsel. that guy has an interest in solving the problem quietly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Again, let me reiterate. I did not accuse anybody of flying drunk as some have said.
I've got news for you -- if this guy drinks that much in the evening and then flies at 8:00 am the next day, he is flying drunk (as the FAA defines it) whether he realizes it or not. There's no way his BAC is back down below 0.04% in 12 hours after ingesting that much alcohol. He may not seem drunk to the casual observer, but if given a field sobriety check or BAC test, he'd fail.

I have a question I was going to email to Dr. Bruce but, thought I would throw it out for opinions. First, I have no stake in this at all.
If you knew for a fact that a pilot, who is exercising the privileges of commercial pilot, is a substance abuser what would you do? The substance is alcohol and s/he consumes a substantial amount EVERY day. I do not know if he flies with any alcohol in his blood but is certainly hung over on an early morning flight.
I am not concerned with any legal obligation but, what about the ethics of the situation?
Hmmm... posted on the first of the month. Could Pete be fishing again I wonder? :dunno:

dtuuri

If you are concerned that this individual may be putting lives at risk and like the individual with the previous drinking problem stated, the effect of long term alcohol use can have significant effects on day to day performance even if the person is not legally intoxicated at the time. You can make an anonymous report to the AVS Safety Hotline at: 800-255-1111.

The airman in question will be investigated, if the airman has a problem then he will be removed from the possibility of harming others and can begin a road to recovery if he so chooses.

I'm in recovery, have been for more than 15 years, the FAA knows it and my medical says something to the effect of "if you don't drink, we'll let you fly."

Thank goodness. Had I been a pilot back when I drank, I would have been nothing more than a horrific end result just waiting to happen.

Alcoholics who are practicing their chosen profession are the ultimate example of denial and what we like to call "self will run riot." As Dr. Bruce says, we will *always* tell you we don't have a problem, that we are in control. We will argue with you over it in the face of obvious evidence. People will be hesitant to bring it up or confront us for fear of how we will react. Meanwhile, we ruin other peoples' lives, put others in grave danger, and just possibly end up killing someone through our willful neglect for those around us and our responsibilities.

You've gotten some good advice and thoughts here. And a smattering of crappy advice. I've known hundreds of people quite like the one you've described. I was that personality. I can tell you this: If you saw me doing the same thing you described this pilot as doing, I'd want - and expect - you to make the call and report me.

Note that the FAA - in its medical wisdom - doesn't say you can't ever drink. But it does explicitly call out chronic alcohol use/abuse. That is separate from flying while under the influence. Alcoholics and abusers are not only a problem when they're intoxicated. It's a destructive, progressively worse lifestyle that has both a direct risk in the intoxication and a very real and substantial behavior risk, which crosses all the ADM lines in most every case. Consider that for a long time we've accepted that there are five key risk areas that "bad" pilots end up in.

• Have disdain toward rules.
  • Have very high correlation between accidents on their flying records and safety violations on their driving records.
  • Frequently fall into the “thrill and adventure seeking” personality category.
  • Are impulsive rather than methodical and disciplined.
  • Have a disregard for or under-utilize outside sources of information.

I used to be a cop. I made hundreds of DUI arrests during that phase of my work life. I can tell you - with absolute certainty - that many people with alcohol problems, are impulsive, make bad decisions, don't know how bad their situation is, are often control freaks, and have utter disregard and contempt for anything that questions or disagrees with them. And they don't have to be ETOH on-board for that behavior to manifest itself.

Side note: Peggy was trying to help - she was providing an additional resource, in addition to this forum, where you might get some perspective. She wasn't telling you to go get personal counseling or help. It was an option for finding some additional perspective from people who have asked many of the same questions before. I understand you're pretty clear on the various options and reporting mechanisms you have available to you. You're just trying to decide which fork in the road to take. But hey, perspective never killed anyone.

Waiting until it's too late has, though. And so has failure to act.

Is this guy an alcoholic? No idea, but it's perfectly reasonable to be suspicious based on what you've described. And in a single-pilot operation with no random testing -- Well it's pretty obvious that the checks and balances you'd find in most places are missing. The system and the community rely on people behaving properly, and when they don't the reliance is on us to do the best right thing.

I'd want you to report me in that situation. Your call, man.

And I'm glad you posted this thread. It's an important one.

What you describe is what some people consider to be a functional alcoholic . Drinking after work and drinking at work are two different circumstances. If your friend is drinking while flying ,maybe you should have done something already.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back