Advice/Help

FlyDogsFly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FlyDogsFly
Hi sorry for any mistakes and grammatical errors in advance not the best writer but was looking for help

I'm a student pilot soon to be private but recently I had to go to court for a MIP of alcohol and for some background info on what happened was me and a friend were heading to my house to just have a nice night we haven't seen each other in a while and got pulled over for expired tags and they saw I had 2 cases of beer in the back (very stupid I know) unopened and they didn't make me do a field or breathalyzer they just confiscated the cases and gave me a ticket to show up to court. Now I've shown up had the case dismissed while having to do some community service and was not arrested do I need to report this to the FAA or on my next medical? Not trying to hide anything as I know that only makes it worse with the FAA and future Job opportunities so I just wanna make sure I have to report it if I do.

Any advice would help please and thank you/will be checking for responses every day but sorry if I don't get back to anyone right away.

You were not operating a vehicle while under the influence of any substance? There was no action taken against your driver's license? You were not required to attend an educational or rehabilitation program?

Last edited:
What were the charges that resulted in your court appearance? Reading between the lines it sounds as if it might have been minor in possession of alcohol, not operation of a motor vehicle. There's a big difference.

That's not necessarily true. Nor is MIP an offense related to the operation of a motor vehicle while intoxicated.

I’m well aware MIP is not reportable. I sometimes find it easiest to point someone to a source.

If there was community service involved, you did not have the charges dismissed. The reporting requirements are at the link below.

I am in Texas, and I beg to differ with your statement. Community service can be required as part of a pretrial diversion agreement with the DA. Pretrial diversion, if successfully completed, can result in a dismissal. Here is a link to a FAQ from the Montgomery County Texas District Attorney's page reciting same.

Hi sorry for any mistakes and grammatical errors in advance not the best writer but was looking for help

I'm a student pilot soon to be private but recently I had to go to court for a MIP of alcohol and for some background info on what happened was me and a friend were heading to my house to just have a nice night we haven't seen each other in a while and got pulled over for expired tags and they saw I had 2 cases of beer in the back (very stupid I know) unopened and they didn't make me do a field or breathalyzer they just confiscated the cases and gave me a ticket to show up to court. Now I've shown up had the case dismissed while having to do some community service and was not arrested do I need to report this to the FAA or on my next medical? Not trying to hide anything as I know that only makes it worse with the FAA and future Job opportunities so I just wanna make sure I have to report it if I do.

Any advice would help please and thank you/will be checking for responses every day but sorry if I don't get back to anyone right away.
No one can give you a reliable answer unless they review the papers and any related orders and understand exactly what they mean in your state. I've seen multiple variations of conditional dismissals, some of which would be reportable as convictions and some not. Some states even use both types, which makes the technicalities and semantics different. Even then, bear in mind there are two separate reporting requirements with different standards. For example, something might be reportable for the medical and not reportable under 61.15.

Last edited:
Where it hurts is on the background check when you do finally get a true alcohol offense. It’ll be someplace and the judge will see it. So will FAA. And you will go at that time from, Zero to two offenses in one swell Foop..to consideration @ FAA, for Abuse.

I feel compelled to comment, as someone who started out doing exactly those sorts of things and now after many years of sobriety has a full-boat engagement with HIMS for life:

Aviation is not compatible with typical college-age substance shenanigans. It takes one visit to an ER after getting halfway through that case of beer to permanently change the course of your career.

Remember the things you used to do before running around with illegal booze in a car with expired tabs? Athletics? Hobbies? Go do them, with people who you don't need to drink with to enjoy. Or spend more time at the airport doing constructive things.

What were the charges that resulted in your court appearance? Reading between the lines it sounds as if it might have been minor in possession of alcohol, not operation of a motor vehicle. There's a big difference.
Sorry for not getting back to lots of you been busy with life but the only charge was MIP (Alcohol) was not under the influence at all during the interaction with the police.
You were not operating a vehicle while under the influence of any substance? There was no action taken against your driver's license? You were not required to attend an educational or rehabilitation program?
Was not under the influence just had two unopened cases of beer, No action was taken against my drivers license, And did not have to attend an educational or rehabilitation program.

Back