Advice for first solo?

Yea considering how much it will cost just to stay current flying fixed wings and to recover from flight lesson expenditures I'm sure I won't be wanting(or be allowed) to spend money on a helicopter rating anytime soon. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe those estimates of 12k are the low end also. :(
I was quoted $300hr. for approx. 20-30 hrs (minimum), so yes 12k would be on the lower end.

I'd go out and do a discovery type flight in a light helicopter right now except for the fact that the local helicopter school charges $300 a person and requires 2 people. Might as well wait until I've gotten my fixed wing rating.

Next time you are in Atlanta you might consider this outfit.
One thing's for sure: you'll save a ton of money in helicopter training if learn in the R-22. You'll hear all kinds of noises from people that charge much more money for other types, but that's only because they don't have the R-22.
If you learn to fly in the R-22, it's very easy to transition to any other type.

Next time you are in Atlanta you might consider this outfit.
One thing's for sure: you'll save a ton of money in helicopter training if learn in the R-22. You'll hear all kinds of noises from people that charge much more money for other types, but that's only because they don't have the R-22.
If you learn to fly in the R-22, it's very easy to transition to any other type.

Heck I might go up to Atlanta just for that and for a tour of the Coca Cola factory (or maybe a Braves game). Thanks for the recommendation. Is it safe to assume your near Atlanta?

Heck I might go up to Atlanta just for that and for a tour of the Coca Cola factory (or maybe a Braves game). Thanks for the recommendation. Is it safe to assume your near Atlanta?

Near is relative, I guess, but no, I am not and I don't know them, only that they have a decent R-22 intro ride price. But they do seem OK, since they have both the 22 and 44. If you weigh more than 200lbs or so, you might need to train on the 44, depending on your CFI's weight.
BTW, one important training rule: never ever pay for blocks, unless you don't mind losing that money. There was an infamous helicopter school scam some years ago where lots of students lost their (or their parents') life savings by paying in advance. Must reading for any aspiring heli flight student.

Edit: As reference, from a place that I do know and recommend, here are some better prices.
And if you need the R-44 (e.g. due to weight), here is a place I know and recommend with the lowest prices in the country.

Last edited:
Near is relative, I guess, but no, I am not and I don't know them, only that they have a decent R-22 intro ride price. But they do seem OK, since they have both the 22 and 44. If you weigh more than 200lbs or so, you might need to train on the 44, depending on your CFI's weight.
BTW, one important training rule: never ever pay for blocks, unless you don't mind losing that money. There was an infamous helicopter school scam some years ago where lots of students lost their (or their parents') life savings by paying in advance. Must reading for any aspiring heli flight student.

Edit: As reference, from a place that I do know and recommend, here are some better prices.
And if you need the R-44 (e.g. due to weight), here is a place I know and recommend with the lowest prices in the country.
Unless I gain 30 pounds by the time I try to get my helicopter rating it sounds like I'll have no problem training in the R-22(weird to think how this heli can struggle to carry two people depending on their size).
Man I feel bad for those students who tried to get training through that school. My school offers pre-payments into my student account but I'd rather keep personal tabs of the money going out.

Unless I gain 30 pounds by the time I try to get my helicopter rating it sounds like I'll have no problem training in the R-22(weird to think how this heli can struggle to carry two people depending on their size).
Man I feel bad for those students who tried to get training through that school. My school offers pre-payments into my student account but I'd rather keep personal tabs of the money going out.

One more tip, that at the very least will help you enjoy your intro ride a lot more.
Get yourself a flight simulator, e.g. MS FSX, with some basic controls (rudder pedals are important, called "anti-torque pedals" in helis). Then learn to fly and hover at the comfort of your home, one bit at a time. I did this (got maybe 100+hrs desk time using a super cheap setup) before I got near a helicopter, and when I finally sat in a real one and did my intro ride, I could fly and hover all by my own right from the get-go! Not sure how much time this saves in the overall process, but it's a lot of fun to impress the CFI who's used to the drunken weaving and bobbing of first timers or primary students. :)

One more tip, that at the very least will help you enjoy your intro ride a lot more.
Get yourself a flight simulator, e.g. MS FSX, with some basic controls (rudder pedals are important, called "anti-torque pedals" in helis). Then learn to fly and hover at the comfort of your home, one bit at a time. I did this (got maybe 100+hrs desk time using a super cheap setup) before I got near a helicopter, and when I finally sat in a real one and did my intro ride, I could fly and hover all by my own right from the get-go! Not sure how much time this saves in the overall process, but it's a lot of fun to impress the CFI who's used to the drunken weaving and bobbing of first timers or primary students. :)
Oh trust me, I have put tons of time in fsx flying their helicopters and planes. But, I have been using either the keyboard or a Xbox controller. I do need to look into at least getting some rudder pedals though.

A lot of good points but remember, your instructor wouldn't free you unless he was sure you could handle it.
Screw it. Have a blast! You have just dumped a 170 pounds so the plane will fly better, nearly jumping off the runway .
By the way, don't be surprised when you ask the question "What the **** am I doing?!?!"

Oh trust me, I have put tons of time in fsx flying their helicopters and planes. But, I have been using either the keyboard or a Xbox controller. I do need to look into at least getting some rudder pedals though.

Yes, I think the controls can make a huge difference in the realism and usefulness of the simulation. A lot of it is muscle memory, and with tiny joystick type controls that memory is way off reality. Also, the MS FSX helicopter simulation is far from realistic to start with. I had to get an add-on package to enhance the realistic response (esp. noticeable during hovering and autorotation), but this was some years back.

Advice for first solo?

Astronaut prayer!

My advice is much the same as a lot of the others here.

Call out all your moves as if you were telling the CFI what you are doing. It keeps you on track so that you don't skip something in the excitement. Other than that just keep doing exactly what you have been doing since you started all this. Your CFI has been working for exactly this, and they are great judges of where your skill level is at.

The biggest thing... you do not have to be perfect, just safe. So keep breathing and do it by the numbers.

Wellllllll my advice is to watch all the 6PC videos, and remember to carry your flask with you as 6PC demonstrates having a nip or three helps with the flying chit.

I have XM in my plane. If you do too, when your CFI gets out and says do three laps, unmute the XM satellite radio and rock out with you **** out

Highway to the Danger Zone :fcross:

Learning To Fly

Foo Fighters ( or Tom Petty version)

Last edited:
Awake on my airplane, Awake on my airplane...

Filter

I like pleasure spiked with pain
And music is my aeroplane
It's my aeroplane
Songbird sweet and sour Jane
And music is my aeroplane
It's my aeroplane
That's spiked with pain

It's my aeroplane
It's my aeroplane

A local flight instructor didn’t properly brief his student on the difference in how the aircraft would perform without the weight of the instructor. The aircraft pitched up and stalled. She destroyed the aircraft but didn’t get hurt.

Learn a lesson from this and be aware that less weight will cause the aircraft, especially a light one; to fly differently.
Hardly a noticeable difference. That student was a retard.

Learn the Shepard's prayer.

"Dear God, Please don't let me f#$k up"

Back