adventurepilot.com vs 100dollarhamburger, others???

iflyforfun

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iflyforfun
Due to an out of country adventure followed by a new business adventure, I was pretty much out of personal aviation for the last 3 years. In the past, I was a heavy 100dollarhamburger.com user. Then when he tried to make me pay to read my own reviews - maybe a half dozen to a dozen - I decided I would NEVER visit that site again.

Anyway, fast forward to today, and where do I go? I just recently tried adventurepilot.com and it seems pretty good. There doesn't seem to be near the activity on adventurepilot that I remember on $100. I took adventurepilot advice on a trip last night and the reviews were right on target. I plan to use it a bit more in the near future, but thought I'd check in for collective wisdom on other possible sites.

Also, just curious do you personally use adventurepilot? If not, why? Seems a bit odd to me that it isn't more of a hit. It's missing some features (no link to AirNav, non-intuitive interface, etc), but really is pretty solid considering it is free. Also, the X miles around your airport search is REALLY cool.

Jeff

I've used Adventure pilot and its a decent site. I've taken more to using www.onetankflights.com as they take the concept a bit further. In addition to attractions they also list FlyIns, Charitable Flight Opportunities with Angel Flight East etc. One Tank also lets folks list where they are flying on any given day and then you can see who might be joining you. The guys that run OneTank are pilots and are good eggs. They actually came to one of the flyins they listed.

I too stopped using 100dollarhamburger and I cannot think of many people who do use it. I wonder how he keeps it running?

I use Adventure Pilot and PoA to find places that are interesting to visit.

Personally I use Onetankflights....but I'm biased! Thanks for the kind words Adam. As always, we are working on the next upgrades. Some really cool stuff. Also, we opened up the site so you don't even have to sign in to use the DISCOVER feature, but we do require registration to post a comment. Allows more interaction without the hassle. As always, let us know if we need to address something the user needs!
Kevin

Here's another vote against 100dollarhamburgers. I can't stand that the reviews aren't time-stamped. It's just about the only review site in the world that doesn't include that info. (I almost said "can't stand that the reviews aren't dated", but actually I suspect that might be why the webmaster is reluctant to include that info...I wonder how many of the reviews are quite old?)

I like www.funplacestofly.com. I signed up for email alerts, and get notices about fly-ins, specials, and whatnot within my flying radius. It's easy to search for destinations, too.

Had not yet stumbled across onetankflights. I'll have to check that out...

I've been using Adventure Pilot almost since it started. I like it. I've posted a couple of things there myself.
Never heard of OneTankFlights til now.

Due to an out of country adventure followed by a new business adventure, I was pretty much out of personal aviation for the last 3 years. In the past, I was a heavy 100dollarhamburger.com user. Then when he tried to make me pay to read my own reviews - maybe a half dozen to a dozen - I decided I would NEVER visit that site again.

Anyway, fast forward to today, and where do I go? I just recently tried adventurepilot.com and it seems pretty good. There doesn't seem to be near the activity on adventurepilot that I remember on $100. I took adventurepilot advice on a trip last night and the reviews were right on target. I plan to use it a bit more in the near future, but thought I'd check in for collective wisdom on other possible sites.

Also, just curious do you personally use adventurepilot? If not, why? Seems a bit odd to me that it isn't more of a hit. It's missing some features (no link to AirNav, non-intuitive interface, etc), but really is pretty solid considering it is free. Also, the X miles around your airport search is REALLY cool.

Jeff

Take a look at this one: http://www.fly2lunch.com/

Dave

Personally I use Onetankflights....but I'm biased! Thanks for the kind words Adam. As always, we are working on the next upgrades. Some really cool stuff. Also, we opened up the site so you don't even have to sign in to use the DISCOVER feature, but we do require registration to post a comment. Allows more interaction without the hassle. As always, let us know if we need to address something the user needs!
Kevin

Kevin,

I just registered on your site. I am still exploring but I want to offer you this kudo right now pertaining to the account sign up. Thanks for making the email news opt-in. Far too often places hide an opt out and before you know it your email inbox is filled with ads and other stuff. I appreciate that you are doing it differently.

"A satisfied customer is our best advertising."

Methinks I need to check out this onetank thing.:D

I use Adventurepilot, have added a few writeups. It's my go-to site for now.

i was a charter member of adventure pilot and at the outset it seemed like a good place to identify and preview flying destinations then one or more submitters started dumping all manner of destination data that for me diluted the usefulness of the info, like in some instances listing every fast food outlet within 3 miles as "within walking distance" and no firsthand experience with many of the establishments (fbo, lodging, restaurant, etc.) listed which i thought was the reason the site was established so i dropped my premium membership after a couple of years and rely more on my Flitesoft planning software and its links to airnav for airport "technical" data and Google for everything else related to creature comforts and local attractions. for local flying activities i use the eaa calendar, flyincalendar, and a couple of locally run fly-in info websites, laflyins.com and eNotam.net. they tend to keep up with the local scene for pilots in my area. there might be something similar in your area.

Kevin,

I just registered on your site. I am still exploring but I want to offer you this kudo right now pertaining to the account sign up. Thanks for making the email news opt-in. Far too often places hide an opt out and before you know it your email inbox is filled with ads and other stuff. I appreciate that you are doing it differently.

Thanks for the kind words....we know how annoying unwanted emails are and we decided early on NOT to distribute our list ever.

I signed up at OneTankFlights yesterday and was immediately impressed. I added a comment for a fave fly-in restaurant and saw the info up there today -- along with a website that I hadn't been aware of, so apparently they check out comments in detail before putting them up. The original comment is readable at least by the poster, but once the destination is listed it doesn't seem that other users can access the comment itself, only the information that the OTF staff has added. But maybe I just haven't figured out how to do that yet. All in all, it's a very nice site.

I signed up at OneTankFlights yesterday and was immediately impressed. I added a comment for a fave fly-in restaurant and saw the info up there today -- along with a website that I hadn't been aware of, so apparently they check out comments in detail before putting them up. The original comment is readable at least by the poster, but once the destination is listed it doesn't seem that other users can access the comment itself, only the information that the OTF staff has added. But maybe I just haven't figured out how to do that yet. All in all, it's a very nice site.

Thanks for the post btw....Yes, we absolutely check out the posts to insure they are factual and accurate and where applicable we add the website if we can find it. The goal is to have the most accurate database possible so the info is useful to the pilot population. All comments are accessible by everyone, even if you aren't logged in, so I think you either had a timing issue or you may have used the post link we sent you when you added it. Here's the link to the post you added http://www.onetankflights.com/archives/58075 try this one and see if that doensn't address your issue. Thanks for looking and we look forward to seeing more of your favorites!!!! BTW, if you have any questions or suggestions you can contact me directly thru the "contact us" link on the site.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post btw....Yes, we absolutely check out the posts to insure they are factual and accurate and where applicable we add the website if we can find it. The goal is to have the most accurate database possible so the info is useful to the pilot population. All comments are accessible by everyone, even if you aren't logged in, so I think you either had a timing issue or you may have used the post link we sent you when you added it. Here's the link to the post you added http://www.onetankflights.com/archives/58075 try this one and see if that doensn't address your issue. Thanks for looking and we look forward to seeing more of your favorites!!!! BTW, if you have any questions or suggestions you can contact me directly thru the "contact us" link on the site.
Kevin, yes, that's the link to the destination I added and I can see my own comment, no problem. But if I bring up the pages for destinations that other pilots have added, I can't see their comments, in their own words. I just see the destination info that you posted, and a field to enter my own comments. Again, maybe this is intentional (to avoid copyright issues maybe?) or maybe it's something with my account settings. It's a very minor quibble, and not something that would keep me from using your site.

Kevin, yes, that's the link to the destination I added and I can see my own comment, no problem. But if I bring up the pages for destinations that other pilots have added, I can't see their comments, in their own words. I just see the destination info that you posted, and a field to enter my own comments. Again, maybe this is intentional (to avoid copyright issues maybe?) or maybe it's something with my account settings. It's a very minor quibble, and not something that would keep me from using your site.

Ahhhh...now I see. If you see no comment, there are no comments yet. In the past, when we first started, we used the first comment as the base info for that post and therefore it showed in the body vs in a true "comment " field. The reasoning was that the first person who entered it really was entering the base data and we wanted that to be shown all the time. Hope that explains it.

Kevin

I'm sold. I really like that UI and the presentation of the information.

Now, I have one nit to pick. The airport cafe at PWT is not 0.2 miles from the airport. You tie down right in front of it. :D Stupid computers... :D :D

I'm sold. I really like that UI and the presentation of the information.

Now, I have one nit to pick. The airport cafe at PWT is not 0.2 miles from the airport. You tie down right in front of it. :D Stupid computers... :D :D

Yes...we feel the same frustration, but its all in how Google geocodes the address...things that are on the field sometimes show as several tenths of a mile away. We try to make sure that our "on the field" tag is accurate so that there is no confusion. But sometimes the airport is actually large enough that the restaurant is indeed shown at a distance greater than zero from the field...we do the best we can. Thanks for looking and for your thoughts. If you like this interface, you're gonna love the premium version of the site, which we hope to release yet this Fall.

Yes...we feel the same frustration, but its all in how Google geocodes the address...things that are on the field sometimes show as several tenths of a mile away. We try to make sure that our "on the field" tag is accurate so that there is no confusion. But sometimes the airport is actually large enough that the restaurant is indeed shown at a distance greater than zero from the field...we do the best we can. Thanks for looking and for your thoughts. If you like this interface, you're gonna love the premium version of the site, which we hope to release yet this Fall.

I'm looking forward to it.

Back