"Adventure" motorcycles (dual sport bikes)

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
After selling my last bike (Fatboy) I said I'd never own another one, but I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell! A couple of friends ride dual sport bikes and they've convinced me that I need to get out of cruiser mode and into adventure bikes.

Since several of you guys (gals?) ride, I thought I'd see if any of you ride dual sport bikes. What kind? Opinions on bikes? I'm 99% sure I know what I'm going to buy, but I'm interested in informed opinions from ues-guys.

Chip

gibbons said:
Since several of you guys (gals?) ride, I thought I'd see if any of you ride dual sport bikes. What kind? Opinions on bikes? I'm 99% sure I know what I'm going to buy, but I'm interested in informed opinions from ues-guys.

Chip, what is your mission. Are you looking for a barely street legal dirtbike with lights? Or more the adventure bike (sport tour types with more than usual groundclearance and light duty offroad capability)?

If the former, the Suzuki DRZ400S is a good one on the cheap end of the spectrum. KTM makes some nice hardcore bikes on the expensive end of the spectrum.

If the latter, the BMW R1200GS is probably the gold standard, with a price to go along with it. Truimph Tiger and Ducati Multi-Strada are nice smooth dirt capable bikes, but with less reputation and much less aftermarket support.

In the less expensive category, the Suzuki V-Strom 1000 is a nice all around adventure type bike with plenty of stones. (much more power than the BMW).

FWIW, I've taken my BMW RT over some pretty hellish dirt roads and lived to tell about it.

If you don't need the ability to ride it on the street, that is if you can trailer the bike to where you want to ride, go with the pure dirt bike. You won't be saddled with the compromises that make it streetable (engine tuning, extra weight, less shock travel distance, different rims...).

If you need the streetability buy some knobbies and put them on, just be careful on the pavement especially when wet. Save the original tires for state inspection and such. ;<)

Len

Bill Jennings said:
Chip, what is your mission. Are you looking for a barely street legal dirtbike with lights? Or more the adventure bike (sport tour types with more than usual groundclearance and light duty offroad capability)?
Bill,

I'm looking for something I can commute around town on 80% of the time, take on 2-3 hour rides 10% of the time, and take on dirt roads & improved trails the rest of the time (you'll have to do the math :D ) I want to be able to carry some stuff around (didn't even have a place for the garage door opener on the Harley) and to be able to pick up a gal. of milk on the way home if I need to. I don't want to have to trailer it anywhere and don't want to go crazy off-roading with it, but I want to be able to enjoy some of the rides around here: http://www.ozarkdualsport.com/2005FCT.htm

Thanks,

Chip

gibbons said:
I'm looking for something I can commute around town on 80% of the time, take on 2-3 hour rides 10% of the time, and take on dirt roads & improved trails the rest of the time (you'll have to do the math :D ) I want to be able to carry some stuff around

Other than the carry stuff around part, the suzuki DR-Z400S would be right up your alley, especially considering around the town. I really like this little bike, cheap and fun.

The KTM 640 with those plastic or aluminum bags would be a wonderful toy, but 80% town use is maybe stretching it a bit. The KTM is more of a hardcore offroad tool. They make fantastic bikes, however, and are a bit pricey.

Another bike to consider is the KLR 650 Kawasaki. It's been around since the dawn of time, is anvil like durable, and has great aftermarket suppport. Many many around the world type adventurers pick this bike to take on their trip. It isn't as slick at the KTM, but is a really durable piece.

To break it down:

The KTM is 80% dirt bike, 20% street bike.

The Suzuki is probably 50-50, and the easiest to ride. I don't know if you can get bags for your gallon of milk, though.

The Kwacker (Kawasaki) is probably 80% street, 20% dirt.

Pick your ratio.

FWIW, when I lived in upstate NY I did a lot of gnarly single track enduro type riding on a dual sport, and I rode a DR-350 suzuki, the Dr-Z400S predecessor. With a few fairly cheap suspension upgrades, it did pretty well offroad. But, it was tweaked towards offroad and I had several other street bikes to choose from for that mission. Like planes, you sometimes need to have a quiver of bikes so you can pull out the right one for the job. Or at least I did until flying starting vacuuming money from my wallet ;-)

What were you thinking of buying?

Last edited:
I have a 2004 Honda XR400R. I love it!

Honda has the reputation of having the most reliable off-road machines on the planet. With that in mind I would recomend a Honda XR650XL. Street Legal right out of the box, more than enough ponies to keep up with your buds on the street, electric start also, (wish I had that:redface: ) .

Whatever you choose, I think dual sports are cool and you'll have a blast on them!

Took a test ride on a Ducati Multistrada (the small 640? one) last time I visited bend, OR. Nice bike. Add knobby tires and it was ready to go off road. Fit me perfect (I'm 5'5" 32" inseam). It was on my short short list of bikes until I rode the Guzzi. The Guzzi (Breva 750) was a little more 'refined' than the Strada.

Guzzi has some dual sports, as does Aprilla. True, not as much support as the Japanese bikes or BMW's, but you defineatly won't be joining the crowds on the bandwagon with one. I saw a couple of MV Augustas as well. Interesting bikes.

gibbons said:
1) 12GS
2) KTM 950 Adventure

Nice bikes, but a lot to spend for around the town hardware. But then, maybe once you get one, you may want to travel farther. The bikes I recommended earlier (except for the KLR 650) are probably not well suited for longer travel.

One big plus for any BMW is third generation servo ABS. I'll never again have a street bike without ABS.

Let me know how you choose, and if you and your buds ever get over to eastern TN and western NC (like Deals Gap), give me a shout. I taken many visiting dignitaries on tours of my riding "back yard".

Bill Jennings said:
Let me know how you choose, and if you and your buds ever get over to eastern TN and western NC (like Deals Gap), give me a shout. I taken many visiting dignitaries on tours of my riding "back yard".

Bill,

I may take you up on your offer. Here is a photo of my new dual purpose bike. Built it myself out of easy to procure material. Quite proud of it actually. Lots of power and easy to work on.

wood_bike.jpg

:goofy: :goofy: :goofy:

NC Pilot said:
Bill,

I may take you up on your offer.

If you're serious, drop me a PM, and we'll go riding. Goes for anyone else as well.

Here is a photo of my new dual purpose bike. Built it myself out of easy to procure material. Quite proud of it actually. Lots of power and easy to work on.

Wood you look at that! It would sure spruce up my garage, and with the light weight, it certainly woodunt be a lumbering hog. I'm pining to own a bike like that someday!

wood_bike.jpg

Chip:

The BMW R1200 is in fact a great dual purpose bike, but as mentioned, a little heavy on the wallet (as are all BMWs). If you're willing to get a used bike, you can get the predecessor, the 1150GS, but only if you buy 2004 or 05 (the only two years on this engine that had dual spark plugs and therefore none of the legendary 'surge' of the boxer engine). I ride with a ton of guys, and many have traded up from the 1150 to the new and shiny 1200, so there are lots of them out there, and at much better prices. On top of this, if my group is any indicator, they spend more like 99% of their time on the road, and the bikes are therefore in pretty decent shape.

Patrick

gibbons said:
Bill,

I'm looking for something I can commute around town on 80% of the time, take on 2-3 hour rides 10% of the time, and take on dirt roads & improved trails the rest of the time (you'll have to do the math :D ) I want to be able to carry some stuff around (didn't even have a place for the garage door opener on the Harley) and to be able to pick up a gal. of milk on the way home if I need to. I don't want to have to trailer it anywhere and don't want to go crazy off-roading with it, but I want to be able to enjoy some of the rides around here: http://www.ozarkdualsport.com/2005FCT.htm

Thanks,

Chip

A friend of mine has a KTM 650 that he has taken on multiple trips deep into Mexico. The most recent all the way to Belize.

I have a new Suzuki DR650 dual sport. It has plenteee of power and torque. I don't know if I would want to take it on a 2-3 hour ride, as it doesn't like the wind at high speeds. Saddle bags are available in a lot of different styles for it, but I haven't found a fairing/windshield that I would put on it. An aftermarket version exists that has four screws that attach to the little plate that surrounds the headlight, but I don't like the stability issue there (it wouldn't be stable in my opinion.)

The bike is very light for a machine of this displacement, and handles well offroad. It has lots of shock travel, a monoshock in the rear 9.something the front 10.2. the faster the better over rough stuff off road. It would make a good enduro if a person wanted to take off the street increments.

I am wondering if anyone does know of a good stable add on fairing/windshield, and if that would make it handle wind better on the highway.

p.s. This machine has very good acceleration, and runs at highway speeds well, power wise. Again the wind becomes an issue at 60-70mph.

I'm way out of date on motorcycles, not having had one sincd 1975, but my old Honda CL-175 would have fit your needs. The CB-175 was the straight street machine (low exhausts and ground clearance) and the SL-175 was more for the dirt, but street legal. The CL-175 had a raised exhaust and off road tires. Good bike, well built. Stopped a 1968 Ford Mustang in its tracks.

Notice the dates on this thread..

In the less expensive category, the Suzuki V-Strom 1000 is a nice all around adventure type bike with plenty of stones. (much more power than the BMW).

Got an up-close-and-personal look at my co-worker's new V-Strom yesterday--very very nice, I could see myself riding one of those!

BMW is now making a GS version of the F800.

http://www.sjbmw.com/bike.asp?VehicleID=96

Looks like a pretty cool setup, but then again, it ain't an airhead :)

I saw the new 800GS at a bike show a couple of months ago. I WAS going to hop on, but the damned thing is so friggen tall, I didn't bother. And I heard they are pushing back production on them because the 650GS is so popular.

In fact, we picked up a pair of the 650's last fall. I LOVE this bike. The big GS is way too much bike for me as an off road machine. No way in hell I'd be able to pick up one if I dumped it.

This is mine, its an ice blue color, the other half has a black one.
sgs1.jpg

And no, a Rotax can't hold a candle to an airhead

Dee
proud owner of two airheads, a hexhead and two thumpers

After selling my last bike (Fatboy) I said I'd never own another one, but I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell! A couple of friends ride dual sport bikes and they've convinced me that I need to get out of cruiser mode and into adventure bikes.

Chip

A buddy of mine in Aus has one of the BMWs that they ride on the Paris Dakar ride that he used in the outback. I took off on it for a week which included highway, forest trails including boulder tracks and desert outback riding. I had a passenger on back (120lb girl who had aleady had a bunch of miles behind me on the streets and mountain roads), and I was quite impressed by it, it was a 1200 IIRC and worked over, and at first I was a bit concerned as the tires looked more like street tires than dirt, they didn't resemble a knobby at all, and I thought by looking at it, it would have a rather ungainly CG at low speeds on rough ground, but I have to say, I was really impressed with it. The tires impressed me in the sand, I thought they would be a problem, but nope, and she really balanced up well even at slow speeds doing near Trials type riding. I found the double jointed shaft drive nice and ruggedly cased. Having the torque of the big engine was very nice, and even as tall as the bike was, the CG was quite manageable. I've seen some others as well, I think it was a Kawasaki I was looking at that I thought was nice, but I never rode it.

Notice the dates on this thread..

Yikes!!! I never really pay attention, it was at the top of the "New posts" list. Hey, aren't you the one most infamous for necroposting? Shoot, shouldn't have said that, you'll probably bump the treadmill thread.....:rolleyes::eek::hairraise:

Back